David Hall Stauffer


David Hall Stauffer, 77, a State Department diplomatic historian who retired in 1980, died of pancreatic cancer July 26 at his home in Bethesda.

Dr. Stauffer joined the State Department in 1956 after having received a doctorate in Latin American studies at the University of Texas. He helped prepare the annual volumes of Foreign Relations of the United States. Beginning in 1962, he served four years in the Peace Corps, initially as director of the first Peace Corps project in Belize, later in the Peace Corps planning office.

He then returned to the State Department's historical office, where he remained until retiring.

He was born in Shanghai, China, to American parents, and he grew up in New Jersey. During World War II, he was a B-17 "Flying Fortress" bomber pilot with the 8th Air Force in England. He flew 22 combat missions over Europe and received a Distinguished Flying Cross and an Air Medal with two Oak Leaf Clusters.

He graduated from Amherst College, then studied Chinese language and culture at Yale University before returning to China in 1947, where he worked for Claire Chennault's civil air transport, eventually managing the airfield in Shenyang, Manchuria.

In 1947, he returned to the United States. He received a master's degree in education at Columbia, then taught for two years at the Kiskiminitus School in Saltsburg, Pa., and for one year at Union College in Schenectady, N.Y.

Dr. Stauffer had served on the administrative board and the board of trustees at Foundry United Methodist Church in Washington. Earlier, he had been a deacon and an elder at National Presbyterian Church.

Survivors include his wife, Doris Walker Stauffer of Bethesda, his twin brother, Dwight, of Willoughby, Ohio, and another brother, Donald, of St. Louis.

Juanita Magana Wallace


Juanita Magana Wallace, 85, who was a teacher at Parkwood School in Vienna from about 1962 to 1974, died of cancer July 20 at her home in Vienna.

Mrs. Wallace, a Washington area resident since 1954, was born in Tabasco, Mexico, and reared in Dubuque, Iowa. She graduated from the University of Dubuque and worked as a high school teacher.

She was a deacon at Vienna Presbyterian Church. She also sang in the church choir and taught Sunday school classes. She was a charter member of the Greater Vienna Republican Women's Club and the Vienna Serendip Club and a member of the Ayre Hill Garden Club in Vienna.

Survivors include her husband, L. Dean Wallace of Vienna; two daughters, Tobi Wallace Whiteside of Vienna and Andrea D. Wallace of Falls Church; two sisters; and two grandchildren.

Anna M. Steinberg

Assistant Resident Manager

Anna M. Steinberg, 60, who was an assistant resident manager of the Warwick Apartments in Silver Spring for three years before retiring on medical disability in 1998, died of cancer July 24 at Holy Cross Hospital.

She was an assistant resident manager of the Marymount Apartments in Laurel for several years in the early 1990s and a secretary for the Walter Campbell Co., an insulation contractor in Beltsville, for about nine years in the 1980s.

Mrs. Steinberg, a native of Romney, W.Va., came to the Washington area in the early 1960s.

Her marriage to Lawrence Riggleman ended in divorce, and her second husband, Sheldon Steinberg, died in 1984.

Survivors include a companion, Paul Couch of Silver Spring; a son from her second marriage, Joel Steinberg of Silver Spring and a daughter from her first marriage, Cynthia A. Robertson of Germantown; two sisters; three brothers; and two grandchildren.

Eileen M. Manfredi

Government Economist

Eileen Marsar Manfredi, 52, who had worked as an economist for both the Congressional Budget Office and the Department of Agriculture, died of breast cancer July 23 at Inova Fairfax Hospital. She lived in McLean.

Ms. Manfredi began her government career with the Department of Agriculture, where she worked from 1975 to 1987. During those years, she worked for the Economic Research Service and then the Agriculture Outlook Board. A senior grains analyst, she was a recipient of a Special Merit Award.

At the Congressional Budget Office from 1987 to 1995, she was a senior economist and worked on agricultural legislation and deficit reduction proposals. She was a recipient of the Director's Award for Outstanding Service and Outstanding Achievement Award.

Ms. Manfredi, who came to the Washington area in 1968, was a native of Brooklyn, N.Y. She was a cum laude economics graduate of Brooklyn College and received a master's degree in economics from Virginia Tech.

She was a member of St. Luke Catholic Church in McLean. She had done volunteer work for So Others Might Eat and SHARE.

Survivors include her husband of 32 years, Arthur F. Manfredi Jr. of McLean; a son, Christian, of Los Angeles; a daughter, Corinne Manfredi Adams of Falls Church; a sister, Gerrie Checkon of Rockville; and two brothers.

Edmund Sylvester

General Contractor

Edmund Sylvester, 77, a retired Washington area general contractor who had lived in the area from 1961 to 1996, died of cancer July 19 at a hospital in Rocky Mount, N.C. He lived in Scotland Neck, N.C.

In the early 1960s, he lived in Northern Virginia and worked for Hill's Art Supply. He helped found the general contracting firm of Carpenter & Sons in Annapolis in 1976, which later folded. About 1980, he co-founded Butterfly Builders, which he operated until retiring in 1988.

Mr. Sylvester, who was born in Pennsylvania and grew up in Michigan, served with the Army's 82nd Airborne Division in Europe during World War II. After that, he lived in South Carolina, where he was an aircraft mechanic and taught swimming before coming to the Washington area.

His marriage to Ruth Sylvester ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Dr. Bertha Elizabeth "Beppie" vanGelderen of Scotland Neck; three sons from his first marriage, Edmund Victor, Richard Earl and Joseph Robert Sylvester, all of Cayce, S.C.; three sisters; and a granddaughter.

Gertrude R. Weisman

Store Owner

Gertrude R. Weisman, 85, a co-founder and former owner-manager of the Tweeds 'N Things women's shop in Chevy Chase, died of pneumonia July 24 in Chevy Chase at the Manor Care Nursing Home, where she had spent the last four years.

She founded the shop, with her husband, in 1954 and was active in its management until suffering a stroke in 1995.

Mrs. Weisman, who came to the Washington area in 1948, was a native of Pittsburgh. She was a graduate of the University of Pittsburgh. During World War II, she worked for the Red Cross in India.

She had been a member of Woodmont Country Club.

Her husband, Alan L. Weisman, died in 1986.

Survivors include a son, Roger H. Weisman of Chevy Chase, and two brothers.

Robert Morine Huse

Association Chief

Robert Morine Huse, 75, the former president of the Mail Advertising Services Association, died July 25 at his home in Annapolis. He had suffered several strokes.

Mr. Huse served 23 years as president of the association before he retired in 1989. Earlier, he was director of customer relations for the Post Office Department, and before that, he was an aide to Sen. Edmund S. Muskie (D-Maine). He came to Washington with Muskie in 1959 when Muskie entered the Senate. Before that, Mr. Huse had been an aide to Muskie when Muskie was governor of Maine.

Mr. Huse was born in Bath, Maine, and served in the Army Air Forces during World War II. He graduated from Boston University School of Journalism, and he was a newspaper reporter in Portland, Maine, before he began working for Muskie.

A former resident of Potomac, he had lived in Annapolis for the last 10 years.

Survivors include his wife, Marylou Huse of Annapolis; four daughters, Kati McCann of Spotsylvania, Va., Mary McBride of Yardley, Pa., Elizabeth Wagner of Litchfield, Ohio, and Margaret Anne Larson of Fayetteville, N.C.; and seven grandchildren.

William Daniel French

Association Executive

William Daniel French, 62, who retired in 1997 after 20 years as executive director of the American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, died of a stroke July 12 at Inova Alexandria Hospital. He had diabetes.

Mr. French, who lived in Falls Church, was a native of Brighton, Mass. He graduated from Northeastern University.

He began his career as a civil engineer in Massachusetts. From 1963 to 1977, he worked in New York for the American Society of Civil Engineers, where he was editor of technical publications and director of support services.

Mr. French was a member of the Knights of Columbus, St. James Catholic Church in Falls Church, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the American and greater Washington societies of association executives, the American Society of Civil Engineers, the Council of Engineering and Scientific Society Executives, the International Society of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing and the International Society for Optical Engineering.

Survivors include his wife of nearly 36 years, Margaret P. French of Falls Church; two children, Daniel B. French of Fairfax and Paula M. Carney of Hadensville, Va.; his mother, Laura E. French of South Dennis, Mass.; a brother; and two grandchildren.

Betty Levo Zeiger

Artist and Therapist

Betty Levo Zeiger, 80, an artist who was supervising art therapist at the Hebrew Home of Greater Washington from 1973 to 1983, died of a perforated ulcer July 15 at a hospital in Arosa, Switzerland.

Mrs. Zeiger, who lived in Bethesda, was on vacation when she died.

She was a native of Philadelphia and a graduate of American University, where she also received a master's degree in art history. She received a second master's degree, in art therapy, from George Washington University.

Her paintings were exhibited at the Mickelson Gallery, the Federal Reserve, the International Monetary Fund, the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Bethesda Art Space and abroad.

Mrs. Zeiger was a member of the Potomac Art Therapy Association, Hadassah and Temple Sinai in Washington.

Her marriage to Leon Zeiger ended in divorce.

Survivors include two children, David Zeiger of Baltimore and Diana Zeiger Dahan of Bethesda.

Helen Lucille Langley Fox

Purchasing Supervisor

Helen Lucille Langley Fox, 87, who retired as a purchasing supervisor in the M.A.S.H. division of the Army surgeon general's office in 1969, died of pneumonia July 24 at Doctors Hospital in Lanham.

Mrs. Fox was born in Washington and graduated from Eastern High School. She began her federal career at St. Elizabeths Hospital and later worked for the Veterans Administration before joining the office of the Army surgeon general. She retired with 30 years of federal service.

In retirement, she was a volunteer at Prince George's Hospital Center for 22 years, with more than 8,000 hours of volunteer service.

She was a member of St. Ambrose Catholic Church in Cheverly, the Golden Circle Club of Cheverly and St. Matthais Leisure Club. A 36-year resident of Cheverly, Mrs. Fox moved to Upper Marlboro in 1986.

Her husband of 32 years, James Patrick Fox, a former Metropolitan Police Department officer, died in 1974. One son, Robert Fox, died in 1978, and another son, James Fox, died in 1992.

Survivors include a daughter, Patricia Fox Avery of Upper Marlboro; 24 grandchildren; 26 great-grandchildren; and three great-great-grandchildren.

Paul Mattingly Byrne

NIH Instrument Maker

Paul Mattingly Byrne, 59, a scientific instrument maker who retired in 1995 from the National Institutes of Health, died July 25 at the home of his mother in Greencastle, Pa., where he was visiting. The cause of death is unknown, pending an investigation by the coroner of Franklin County, Pa.

Mr. Byrne, who lived in Springfield, was born in Washington. He was raised in Arlington, where he graduated from Wakefield High School. He began his career with NIH in the late 1950s, then worked at Duke University and St. Elizabeths hospitals before returning to NIH in the late 1970s.

His marriage to Patricia Arbuckle ended in divorce.

Survivors include a son, Kevin Michael Byrne of Springfield; his mother, Patricia Byrne; three brothers; and two sisters.

Ralph Leslie Thomas


Ralph Leslie Thomas, 78, a retired lawyer and lieutenant commander in the Naval Reserve, died of pneumonia and kidney failure July 24 at Inova Fairfax Hospital.

Mr. Thomas, who lived in Springfield, was born in Jacksonville, Fla. During World War II, he served in the Navy, and he participated in combat operations in the Pacific as a radio operator aboard the battleship Washington. While in the Navy, he also attended Duke University and graduated from the University of Louisville with a degree in engineering.

After the war, he came to Washington and began working at the U.S. Patent Office while attending George Washington University law school at night. He received a law degree in 1951.

He was recalled to active duty in the Navy during the Korean War and served on the destroyer Bears. He retired from the Naval Reserve in 1966.

After the Korean War, Mr. Thomas was a lawyer for IBM, then entered a private law practice in Washington, specializing in patent law. He retired in 1981.

Survivors include his wife of 38 years, Carol Ward Thomas of Springfield; two sons, Ward L. Thomas of Vienna and Bryant H. Thomas of Springfield; and four grandchildren.

Paul C. Maggi

Systems Analyst

Paul Christopher Maggi, 42, a systems analyst who had worked for the Central Intelligence Agency for the last 17 years, died of a brain stem tumor July 10 at his home in Sterling.

He had served with the agency in Europe and East Asia.

Mr. Maggi, a Washington native, was a 1975 graduate of McLean High School. He was a 1979 economics graduate of James Madison University.

He was a member of Christ the Redeemer Catholic Church in Sterling.

His interests included soccer, pool, photography, classic cars and model railroading.

Survivors include his wife, Rita M., and two daughters, Jessica L. and Joanna M. Maggi, all of Sterling; his mother, Virginia S. Maggi of Falls Church; and three sisters, Laura M. Baker of Chantilly, Claudia F. Sargent of Falls Church and Martha M. Maggi of Olympia, Wash.

Hugh C. Hoy

Fire Chief

Hugh C. Hoy, 91, who retired in 1970 as a battalion chief after 40 years with the D.C. Fire Department, died of a heart attack July 24 at Inova Fairfax Hospital. He lived in Fairfax.

Mr. Hoy, who was a native of Deerfield, Va., worked all over the District during his career and retired from a battalion serving the U.S. Capitol area.

He volunteered with the Republican Party in Arlington, belonged to the Retired Firefighters Association and International Association of Firefighters, attended Westover Baptist Church in Arlington and was treasurer of the St. Anthony's Senior Citizens group in Fairfax.

Survivors include his wife of nearly 61 years, Loretta Moreland Hoy of Fairfax; a daughter, Beatrice H. Werner of Fairfax; and a sister, Beatrice H. Terry of Arlington.

Julia Theurer Christensen


Julia Theurer Christensen, 76, who had done volunteer work with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, died of bone cancer July 21 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia.

Mrs. Christensen, who lived in Fairfax, was born in Providence, Utah. She graduated from Utah State University with highest honors.

Before settling in the Washington area in 1967, she accompanied her husband, retired Army Col. Hal Samuel Christensen, on assignments in Corvallis, Ore., Fort Monmouth, N.J., Bangkok, West Germany and Kansas.

Her work with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints included service as president of the Relief Society and teaching in children's and youth auxiliaries. With her husband, she was an LDS missionary at the Washington Temple.

Mrs. Christensen also did volunteer work in hospitals and schools.

In addition to her husband, of Fairfax, survivors include three children, Kimberly Ann Wright of Idaho Falls, Idaho, Stephanie C. Larsen of Alexandria and Stacy C. McFarland of Sacramento; two sisters; a brother; eight grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.