Carlton E. Schutt

Air Force Colonel

Carlton E. Schutt, 76, a colonel who retired from Air Force headquarters in 1973 as chief of the personnel research and analysis division, died of a heart attack July 26 at Inova Mount Vernon Hospital. He lived in Alexandria.

Col. Schutt was a native of Buffalo and a graduate of Cornell University. He received a master's degree in education from the University of Buffalo.

Col. Schutt began his military service in 1940 with the Army Air Corps. He flew bombers in Europe and the Pacific during World War II. He served in Alaska during the Korean War and in Vietnam during the war there. He was also posted to Libya.

After he left the Air Force, he was vice president of Orbital Systems and Waste Management. He also owned Carl's Exxon on Route 1 in southern Alexandria.

His honors included a Legion of Merit, Meritorious Service Medal and an Air Medal.

Col. Schutt was a member of the Retired Officers and Air Force associations and a trustee of Nativity Lutheran Church in Alexandria.

Survivors include his wife of 52 years, Doris L. Schutt of Alexandria; five children, Dr. David Schutt of Washington, Dr. Lynn Schutt and Carl Schutt, both of Alexandria, Air Force Col. Paul Schutt of Scott Air Force Base, Ill., and Andrew Schutt of Macomb, Mich.; and seven grandchildren.

Phyllis K. Murphy


Phyllis K. Murphy, 88, a former Silver Spring resident who did the bookkeeping for a delicatessen operated by her husband and brother-in-law, died of congestive heart failure July 18 at Mary Washington Hospital in Fredericksburg, Va. She had lived in Fredericksburg for the past four years.

Mrs. Murphy was in charge of the bookkeeping for Woodmoor Delicatessen in Silver Spring for more than 30 years until the early 1970s. Also in the '70s, she and her husband, Linwood H. Murphy, who died in 1991, owned and operated the Sun N' Rest apartment building in Ocean City, Md.

She was a native of Shepherdstown, W.Va., and a graduate of Shepherd College. She taught in a one-room schoolhouse in Shepherdstown before coming to the Washington area in the 1940s.

She was a member of Marvin Memorial United Methodist Church in Silver Spring and worthy matron of a Silver Spring chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star.

Survivors include two daughters, Gail Post of Locust Grove, Va., and Karen Cipoletti of Albuquerque; two brothers, Daniel Preston Knode Jr. of La Plata and William Thaddeus Knode of Hagerstown, Md.; and four grandchildren.

Rebecca Williams 'Bebba' Evans


Rebecca Williams "Bebba" Evans, 85, a District resident who until the early 1960s worked more than 10 years as a nanny, died of kidney failure July 23 at the Washington Hospice Home.

Mrs. Evans, who was born in Orangeburg, S.C., came to Washington at age 7 and attended Burrville Elementary School.

As a young woman, she worked for Washington Railway Co., a predecessor of D.C. Transit, helping with the maintenance of trolley cars. She also worked as a cafeteria cook at Trinity College and as a clerk for the D.C. Public Assistance Office, and she participated in the organization of the historic 1963 March on Washington.

Her husband, Charles C. Evans, died in 1957.

Survivors include five children, Lorraine Williams, Alice Barber, Yvonne Johnson, Maurice Evans and Arnett Evans, all of Washington; two stepsons, Charles Evans and James Evans, both of Washington; 46 grandchildren; 68 great-grandchildren; and 20 great-great-grandchildren.

Edward Vincent 'Mickey' Finn

Marine Corps Officer

Edward Vincent "Mickey" Finn, 82, a retired Marine Corps colonel who served as an aviator in World War II and the Korean War, died July 21 at NOVA Community Hospital in Arlington.

Col. Finn, who lived in McLean and Aldie, Va., was a native of Hartford, Conn. He received a commission in the Marine Corps upon graduation from the University of Connecticut in 1940.

During World War II, he served in the Pacific as commander of a fighter squadron and participated in combat operations in Okinawa and Iwo Jima. In the Korean War, he served with helicopter groups as a 1st Marine Division air officer.

He also was a graduate of the Army War College.

His military honors included the Legion of Merit, two Distinguished Flying Crosses and two Air Medals.

After his military retirement in 1971, he pursued a career as a real estate agent, operating Aldie Realty for more than 20 years until the early 1990s.

Survivors include his wife of 57 years, Helen Carlson Finn of Aldie; two children, Thomas Alan Finn of Leesburg and Patricia Finn Graves of Springfield; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Robert W. Breaks

Army Colonel

Robert W. Breaks, 85, a colonel who retired from the Army in 1966 as deputy director of chemical, biological and radiological warfare, and then worked for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, died of a heart attack July 27 at his Annandale home.

Col. Breaks was a native of Crawfordsville, Ind., who attended Indiana University and graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. He received a master's degree in industrial engineering from Purdue University.

He served in North Africa and Italy during World War II. He later was a chief chemical officer, worked for the joint chiefs of staff and commanded the Pine Bluff Arsenal in Arkansas.

At NASA, he was a program manager in the experimental division until 1977.

His honors included a Legion of Merit, Purple Heart and four Army Commendation Medals. He was a member of the Retired Officers Association.

His wife, Claire Breaks, died in 1980. There are no immediate survivors.

Iver M. Olson

Association Executive

Iver M. Olson, 81, who retired in 1980 as executive vice president of the American Footwear Industries Association, died of a stroke July 23 at Woodbine Nursing Home. He had lived in Alexandria since 1972.

Mr. Olson was a native of Winchester, Mass., and a graduate of Dartmouth College, where he also received a master's degree in business. He did work toward a doctorate in statistics at the University of Chicago.

Mr. Olson served in the Navy in New Guinea during World War II.

He had an import-export business in Illinois after the war and taught marketing and statistics at DePaul University. He became chairman of the marketing department at DePaul University and was vice president of a marketing research firm in Chicago before moving to the Washington area.

Mr. Olson was an elder and administration and finance chairman at Westminster Presbyterian Church in Alexandria.

Survivors include his wife, Ida McCann Olson of Alexandria; three children, Iver M. Olson II of Alexandria, Martha Olson Land of Washington and Linda Sheridan daSilva of New York; and a grandson.

Mary Gusta Maddox

Real Estate Broker

Mary Gusta Maddox, 92, a retired Falls Church real estate broker, died July 24 at a retirement home in Miami. She had diabetes.

Mrs. Maddox was born in Cabarrus County, N.C., and attended Marysville College in Tennessee. In 1922, she moved to the Washington area, and in 1924, she married Herbert Lundien. During the 1930s, she was a Girl Scout leader in Falls Church.

Her first husband died in 1943, and in 1947, she married Archie T. Munson. She began her career in real estate, and from 1960 to 1972 she operated her own brokerage, Munson Realty in Falls Church.

In 1972, her second husband died, and in 1974, she married Paul Maddox. He died in 1985.

Mrs. Maddox was an enthusiastic flower and vegetable gardener. She was a director of music groups and a Sunday school teacher at Falls Church Presbyterian Church.

A 60-year resident of Falls Church, she moved to Miami in 1990.

Survivors include a daughter from her first marriage, Anna L. Brown of Lake Ridge; two stepdaughters, Mary Sue Brehme of Winston-Salem, N.C., and Lydia Giancotti of Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; 16 grandchildren; 12 great-grandchildren; and a great-great-grandchild. Two sons from her first marriage, Herbert M. and Robert M. Lundien, died in 1995.

James R. McDonald

Air Force Colonel

James R. McDonald, 73, an Air Force colonel who retired in 1975 as acting budget chief of the Defense Supply Agency, died of a blood disorder July 25 at his home in Fairfax City.

He was a native of Cleveland and a graduate of Ohio State University. He received a master's degree in business from Michigan State University.

He served in the Army Air Forces in Alaska during World War II and was a radar observer and master navigator during the Korean War. He also served in Vietnam during the war there as well as in Spain and Hawaii. He was comptroller of the 13th Air Force in the Philippines.

After he retired, Col. McDonald was a stockbroker with Merrill Lynch for 10 years.

His honors included the Legion of Merit, the Bronze Star and the Meritorious Service Medal. He was a volunteer income tax preparer in Northern Virginia for the American Association of Retired Persons and a member of the Army Navy Country Club, the Retired Officers Association and Beta Gamma Sigma accounting honorary society. His interests included golf.

Survivors include his wife of 48 years, Dorothy McDonald of Fairfax City; two daughters, Dr. Michelle McDonald Johnson of Tucson and Megan McDonald of Fairfax; and three grandchildren.

Virginia Burns Saul

Former Rockville Resident

Virginia Burns Saul, 81, a former resident of Rockville, died of emphysema July 25 in a hospital at Carmichael, Calif.

Mrs. Saul was born in Cleveland, Va., and she moved to the Washington area when she was 18.

Fifteen years ago, she moved from Rockville to California.

Her marriage to Willis Sirk ended in divorce. Her second husband, Roy Saul, died 10 years ago.

Survivors include four children from her first marriage, Randolph Sirk of California, Gloria Williams of Cincinnati, Michael Sirk of Mechanicsville and Balfour Sirk of College Park; a sister, Marie Mawyer of Galveston, Tex.; two brothers, Canie Litton of O'Brien, Fla. and Roy Lytton of Melbourne, Fla.; nine grandchildren; and 12 great-grandchildren.

Catherine Gainey Orvis


Catherine Gainey Orvis, 80, a former social worker who was a docent at the Corcoran Gallery of Art, died July 27 after cancer surgery at Suburban Hospital. She lived in Bethesda.

Mrs. Orvis was a native of Flint, Mich. She attended the Eastman School of Music and graduated from the University of Michigan. She received a master's degree in social work from Loyola University in Chicago.

She was a club director in Swindon, England, for the American Red Cross during World War II, and was also assigned to France and the Netherlands. She was a social worker at the Illinois Children's Home in Chicago and in Ann Arbor, Mich., before moving to Washington in 1954.

Here, she was a volunteer with the Junior League and president of the Gardeners of the Junior League. She was a member of St. Jane Frances de Chantal Catholic Church in Bethesda.

Survivors include her husband of 45 years, Byron L. Orvis of Bethesda; two children, Mary Ellen Orvis of Keller, Tex., and George Gainey Orvis of Clarksburg; and a sister.

Nancy Henderson MacArthur

Math Assistant

Nancy Henderson MacArthur, 76, a former math assistant at the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory, died July 26 at her home in Silver Spring after a stroke.

Mrs. Henderson was born in Independence, Kan., and graduated from the University of Wichita.

In 1947 she moved to the Washington area and began working for the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory. She remained there until 1962.

She was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution.

Survivors include her husband, Edgar H. MacArthur of Silver Spring; two children, David MacArthur of Columbia and Margaret MacArthur of Hyattsville; and one sister.

Eusebia Silva Rivera Jones

Longtime Area Resident

Eusebia Silva Rivera Jones, 90, who had lived in the Washington area for almost 70 years, died July 15 at Holy Cross Hospital of complications of pneumonia.

Mrs. Jones, a resident of Landover, was born in Louiza, Puerto Rico and moved to this area when she was in her twenties.

Her first husband, Juan R. Rivera, died in 1946. Her second husband, Harry D. Jones, died in 1969.

Survivors include two sons from her first marriage, John A. Rivera of Rockville and Louis S. Rivera of Alexandria; two daughters from her second marriage, Helen Jones Keegan of Cheverly and Lillian Jones Hazigian of Martha's Vineyard, Mass.; 14 grandchildren; and 12 great-grandchildren.

A son from her first marriage, Charles A. Rivera, died in 1992. A daughter from her second marriage, Vivian E. Jones, died in 1989.

Edward R. Follin


Edward R. Follin, 71, who worked at the Naval Research Laboratory for more than 35 years before retiring in 1984 as supervisory planner and estimator in the public works division, died of cancer July 21 at Inova Mount Vernon Hospital in Alexandria.

Mr. Follin, who was born in Washington, grew up in Arlington, where he graduated from Washington-Lee High School. He served in the Army from 1946 to 1948 and was a part of the U.S. occupation of Korea before the war.

After leaving the military, he began his career at the Naval Research Laboratory, joining the apprentice school and becoming an electrician for the public works division.

He was a member of St. Louis Catholic Church in Alexandria, where he was facilities supervisor from 1984 to 1989. He also volunteered in the local area with various home repairs.

Survivors include his wife of 41 years, Leona G. Follin of Alexandria; two daughters, Marcia F. Stewart of Herndon and Carol L. Follin of Atlanta; and two grandchildren.

Sonya Blate Luger

Clerk Typist

Sonya Blate Luger, 82, a Rockville resident who in the 1960s worked as a clerk typist for the Navy Department's personnel office, died July 21 at Suburban Hospital after a stroke.

Born in Estonia, Mrs. Luger was brought to this country as an infant and grew up in New York City, where she later worked as a milliner. She came to the Washington area in 1959 and for a time lived in Annandale and Springfield.

She did volunteer work at the Rockville Senior Citizens Center and other community and charitable organizations.

Her husband, Bernard J. Blate, died in 1963, and her second husband, Herbert Peter Luger, died in 1997.

Survivors include a son from her first marriage, Sam Blate of Montgomery Village; and two grandsons.

Virgil E. 'Gene' Craven

Army Colonel

Virgil E. "Gene" Craven, 81, a retired Army colonel and decorated veteran of World War II and the Korean War, died of a heart attack July 6 at his home in Laurel, where he had lived for 32 years.

Col. Craven, a native of Erie, Kan., served 26 years in the Army, beginning as a lieutenant in the infantry upon his graduation from Kansas State University in 1941.

He participated in combat operations in North Africa and Italy during World War II, and he received two Silver Stars, the Bronze Star and two Purple Hearts.

During the Korean War, he received a battlefield promotion to lieutenant colonel for planning and leading a battalion of the 23rd Infantry on an assault for Heartbreak Ridge.

His other military honors included the Legion of Merit, the Air Medal, the Army Commendation Medal and the Combat Infantryman's Badge.

He was assistant chief of staff for security, plans and operations at Fort Lee when he retired from active military duty in 1967. He then worked about 13 years for Baltimore's housing department as a senior management analyst in the administrative division.

Survivors include his wife Jean Craven of Laurel; five children, Carolyn Doughty of Manlius, N.Y., Suzanne Buckingham of Clarksville, Stanley Craven of Prairie Village, Kan., Douglas Craven of Heidelberg, Germany, and Mark Craven of Portsmouth, N.H.; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Arthur U. Sufrin

Mobilization Specialist

Arthur U. Sufrin, 95, who specialized in industrial mobilization for wartime emergencies before retiring from the Department of Commerce in 1973, died of congestive heart failure July 21 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Mr. Sufrin, a resident of Washington, was a native of New York. He attended the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania.

In the 1930s, he came to Washington to join the staff of the Agricultural Adjustment Administration.

During World War II, he was assistant director of the Farm Machinery Division of the War Production Board. After the war, he worked with the Civilian Production Administration, which was established to help industry convert back to peacetime production.

In 1950, he became a deputy assistant administrator for production with the National Production Authority. In that capacity, he supervised allocation of materials for civilian and military purposes during the Korean War and the Vietnam War.

He was named director of the Office of Industrial Mobilization in 1961. There he helped develop a program in which executives from private industry reviewed government plans for wartime industrial mobilization. After the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962, he received gold and silver medals from the Commerce Department for his mobilization planning.

His wife of 62 years, Anita Nieto Sufrin, died three years ago. Survivors include a brother, Herbert Sufrin of Hawaii.

Donald Falk Harding

Budget Specialist

Donald Falk Harding, 88, a former Washington resident who worked 35 years for the Bureau of Budget before retiring as a senior analyst in 1971, died of respiratory failure July 27 at a medical center in Myrtle Beach, S.C.

Mr. Harding, who lived in Myrtle Beach for the last 27 years, was a native of Orleans County, N.Y., and a graduate of National University Law School in Washington.

Shortly before retiring to Myrtle Beach in 1972, he worked as a budget specialist for Executive Consultants in Washington.

Survivors include his wife of 65 years, Fannie Mae "Babe" Crump Harding of Myrtle Beach; three children, Donald Victor Harding of Houston, Joan Edith Nichols of Ocean Pines, Md., and Patricia Anderson of Middletown, Md.; a brother; five grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

Norma Jean Cobb

Clinic Receptionist

Norma Jean Cobb, 76, a receptionist at the free clinic at Inova Alexandria Hospital from 1972 to 1991, died July 1 at her home in Atlantic Beach, Fla. She had a lung ailment.

Mrs. Cobb lived in Alexandria for 30 years before moving to Florida in 1991. She was a native of Montrose, Mo., who accompanied her husband to Navy posts that included Japan, Guam and Morocco. She was a volunteer for the city of Alexandria and the Navy Marine Corps Relief Society. She was a golfer and a member of Army Navy Country Club.

Survivors include her husband, retired Cmdr. William W. Cobb of Atlantic Beach; two children, Navy Rear Admr. William W. Cobb Jr. of Fairfax and Susan E. Cobb of Alexandria; and two grandchildren.

Elizabeth E. Stavely


Elizabeth E. Stavely, 104, a resident of Hyattsville from 1938 until the early 1960s, died of congestive heart failure July 22 at her daughter's home in Hyattsville.

Mrs. Stavely was born in Adams County, Pa., and came to this area in 1938. She returned to Pennsylvania in the 1960s but then came back to the Washington area four years ago to live with her daughter.

Her husband, Harry W. Stavely Sr., died in 1963, and a son, Bernard U. Stavely, was killed in action in 1951 while serving in the Marine Corps during the Korean War. Six of the couple's seven children served in the Marine Corps. Two other sons, Harry and John Stavely, also predeceased their mother.

Survivors include four children, Charlotte Houston and Robert Stavely, both of Hyattsville, Theresa Dungan of Warsaw, Va., and L. Grant Stavely of Littlestown, Pa.; 35 grandchildren; 76 great-grandchildren; and three great-great-grandchildren.

Doris May Shaulis

Cafeteria Hostess

Doris May Shaulis, 75, who was a cafeteria hostess at Wolftrap Elementary School in Vienna for about 10 years until the mid-1980s, died of cardiac arrest July 25 at Inova Fairfax Hospital.

Mrs. Shaulis had lived in Vienna since 1953. She was a native Washingtonian and attended Eastern High School. She was a member of United Methodist Church in Vienna and a volunteer for the Vienna Church of the Holy Comforter Episcopalian Pennywise Thrift Shop.

She also was a member of the Fifty-Ninety seniors club and the American Clan Gregor Society.

Her husband, George Mitchell Shaulis, died in 1978. Survivors include four children, Michelle Spencer of Fredericksburg, Yvonne Carver of Goldvein, George Shaulis of Garrisonville and Michael Shaulis of Chantilly; a brother; nine grandchildren; and 11 great-grandchildren.

Jessie N. "Barbara" Burruss

Playground Director

Jessie Nimnom "Barbara" Burruss, 85, a lifelong Washington resident who retired in the mid-1970s after about 30 years as a playground director and preschool teacher for the D.C. Recreation Department, died of lung cancer July 26 at her home.

Mrs. Burruss was a graduate of Western High School and a member of St. John's Episcopal Church in Georgetown.

Her marriage to Robert Armistead Page Burruss ended in divorce.

Survivors include two sons, Robert Burruss of Kensington and Ellis Burruss of Brunswick, Md.; and a sister, Joy Nimnom Kraus of Washington.