Starbucks Suspect Pleads Not Guilty

Carl Derek Cooper pleaded not guilty yesterday to a 48-count federal indictment charging him with killing three people at a Starbucks coffeehouse and a series of other violent offenses that took place in the last six years.

Cooper, 30, said little yesterday during his arraignment in U.S. District Court. By pursuing federal charges, prosecutors could seek the death penalty against him.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Kenneth L. Wainstein described the July 1997 killings of Starbucks manager Mary Caitrin Mahoney and employees Emory Evans and Aaron David Goodrich as an act of "unspeakable brutality." The three were shot in a botched robbery at the coffeehouse at 1810 Wisconsin Ave. NW. Cooper also is accused of killing a security officer, Sandy Griffin, in May 1993 during a robbery at a Northwest Washington apartment building; shooting an off-duty Prince George's County police officer in 1996; and staging numerous robberies.

The indictment accuses Cooper of leading a racketeering enterprise but does not name anyone else in the alleged organization.

Wainstein persuaded Magistrate Judge Alan Kay to keep Cooper jailed until trial. During the investigation, Wainstein said, Cooper was caught on tape vowing to kill the lead detective.


Elkridge Man Charged With 1980s Killings

An Elkridge man serving a sentence of life without parole for a 1989 murder was charged yesterday with two additional homicides that occurred almost 20 years ago in Howard and Baltimore counties, authorities said.

They said Vernon L. Clark, 43, an inmate at the Maryland House of Corrections in Jessup, was charged with first-degree murder in the 1980 slaying of Rebecca H. Davis, of Elkridge, and the 1981 death of Evelyn Dietrich, of Catonsville. Clark was convicted of murder eight years ago in the death of Kathleen Gouldin, of Elkridge.

Howard County Police Chief G. Wayne Livesay said new DNA analysis technology enabled detectives to connect Clark to the two long-unsolved slayings. Livesay said Clark also is a suspect in several other unsolved Howard County homicide cases.

Governor's Son Has License Suspended

Maryland officials have suspended the driver's license of Raymond Glendening, the son of Gov. Parris N. Glendening (D), for 120 days after he refused to take a blood-alcohol test when he was arrested on drunken driving charges in June.

An administrative law judge issued the suspension on Wednesday at a hearing in Beltsville, said Caryn Coyle, spokeswoman for the Motor Vehicle Administration.

Glendening, 19, was arrested June 5 after the Chevy Blazer he was driving sideswiped a utility pole on Baltimore Avenue in College Park, Prince George's County police said. They said he failed three field sobriety tests and refused to take a breath test, which measures blood-alcohol content.

Glendening faces a Sept. 2 trial on charges of driving while intoxicated, which carries a maximum sentence of one year in jail and a $1,000 fine, and driving under the influence of alcohol, with a maximum sentence of two months and a $500 fine.


Body of Woman Found in W.Va. Identified

Police have identified the body of a woman found dead last week in a West Virginia field as Kimberly Dawn Alexander, of Winchester, Va., who was reported missing more than seven weeks ago.

West Virginia State Police said Alexander's body was found July 25 just off of the Route 340 bypass near Charles Town, and medical examiners identified her on Tuesday. Police are awaiting autopsy results.

Alexander was reported missing June 12, and her 1986 Pontiac station wagon was discovered Wednesday night in a Food Lion parking lot along Route 340 in Berryville, Va., just outside of Winchester, said Virginia State Police spokeswoman Lucy Caldwell. Virginia and West Virginia state police are working with the FBI on the investigation of Alexander's death.