Isaac Anderson Keith III

Systems Analyst and Choir Director

Isaac Anderson Keith III, 78, a retired systems analyst for the Army Department who was also a church choir director, died of a heart ailment Aug. 4 at Inova Alexandria Hospital. He had lived in Alexandria since 1951.

Mr. Keith was a religious education graduate of Howard College, in his native Birmingham, Ala. He received a second bachelor's degree, in music, from Westminster Choir College in Princeton, N.J.

He served in the Navy in the Pacific during World War II.

He was a computer programmer for the State Department, Army Map Service and Pentagon and retired as an analyst at the Army Military Personnel Center.

He directed choirs in Alexandria at First Baptist and Trinity United Methodist churches and also directed children's and youth choirs. He sang with the choir of National Presbyterian Church in Washington.

Mr. Keith volunteered with the Alexandria Community Y. Scottish Christmas Walk, community singing events and as a member of the Dawson Singers, a Trinity United group that sang at institutions and homes. He was also active with the PTA at T.C. Williams High School and on behalf of the board of Inova Alexandria Hospital.

His other interests included photography and gardening.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy Keith of Alexandria; two children, Deborah Todd of Sterling and Isaac A. Keith IV of Southern Shores, N.C.; two sisters, two brothers and five grandchildren.

Mary R. Mayer


Mary R. Mayer, 79, a retired nurse and Rockville resident who was the mother of 10 daughters, died of cardiac arrest Aug. 3 at Atlantic Hospital in Berlin, Md., while vacationing in Ocean City. She had heart ailment.

Mrs. Mayer was a native of Hazelton, Pa., and graduated from a state hospital's nursing school there. After moving to Washington in 1942, she worked at Doctors Hospital and in the Washington office of internist John Sweeney. She worked at Randolph Hills Nursing Home in the 1970s and 1980s.

She was a member of the Sodality at Catholic Shrine of St. Jude in Rockville.

Her husband, Francis C. Mayer, died in 1996.

Survivors include her daughters, Nancy Mayer-Whittington, Celeste Mayer Kerner, Susie Mayer Van Gieson, and Cecilia Mayer Rowedder, all of Rockville, Kathleen Mayer Bovello, Eileen Mayer Pryor and Rosemary Mayer Stein, all of Silver Spring, Mary Pat Mayer George of Frederick, Md., Liz Mayer Welton of Columbia, and Maureen Mayer-Sangster of Oakland, Calif.; two sisters, Anne C. Herron of Kensington and Catherine A. Sullivan of Rockville; a brother, Thomas V. Herron of Kensington; and 24 grandchildren.

Leonard R. Viner


Leonard R. Viner, 85, a lifelong Washington resident and former owner of Arcade Sunshine Laundry and Dry Cleaning, died of congestive heart failure Aug. 2 at his home.

Mr. Viner operated Arcade Sunshine, a business founded by his father, from 1954 until the mid-1960s.

He also had been an experienced world traveler and photographer until 1980, when a fall during a tour of pyramids in Egypt left him a quadriplegic.

He was a graduate of Pennsylvania Military Academy and the Wharton School of Business and Finance at the University of Pennsylvania. During World War II, he served as a special agent for the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

He was active in local organizations such as the Hebrew Home of Greater Washington in Rockville and the Metropolitan Police Boys Club. He also was a member of the Society of Former Special Agents of the FBI, Woodmont Country Club in Rockville and the Defense Orientation Conference Association.

Survivors include his wife of 50 years, Muriel Segal Viner of Washington; three children, Brant Viner of Northborough, Mass., Hara Viner of New York City and Jaye Viner of Annandale; and two grandchildren.

Melvin Norman Holt

Security Officer

Melvin Norman Holt, 84, who retired in 1970 as an officer with the special investigations division of the U.S. Postal Service, died of a cerebral hemorrhage Aug. 1 at his home in Washington.

He began working for the Post Office Department in 1956. He also worked part time as a cab driver for 28 years and as a limousine driver for McGuire Funeral Home.

Mr. Holt, who was born in West River, Md., had lived in Washington since 1936. He was a delivery driver for the Washington Star before World War II. He served in the Army during the war and participated in the invasion of Normandy. His military honors included the Silver Star.

His interests included hunting and fishing. He was a Mason and a member of the National Rifle Association.

His wife of 41 years, Tillar Vernell Holt, died in 1988. Survivors include three daughters, Gladys Peevy of Churchton, Barbara Smith of Greenbelt and Ingrid Autry of New Carrollton; a brother, Alvin Holt of Lothian, Md.; 10 grandchildren; and 11 great-grandchildren.

Virgil E. Galentine

Home Builder

Virgil E. Galentine, 68, whose Galentine Construction Co. was in operation in the Washington area from 1958 to 1975, died Aug. 1 at a nursing home in Port St. Lucie, Fla. He had a heart ailment.

Mr. Galentine moved to Florida from Rockville 20 years ago, continuing as a homebuilder until he had a stroke in 1991. He had begun his career as a construction company, and also operated GWG Realty and Construction.

Mr. Galentine was a Washington native who served in the Navy.

He was a member of the Suburban Maryland Home Builders Association.

His marriage to Shirley Galentine ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Florrie Galentine of Gaithersburg; a daughter from his first marriage, Vickie Galentine of Denver; two stepchildren; a brother, Clarence Galentine of White Plains, Md.; and a granddaughter.

Harold S. Colen

Army Colonel

Harold S. Colen, 85, a retired Army colonel who later served as a civilian logistics planning officer for the Navy Department, died of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease Aug. 1 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Col. Colen, a resident of Fairfax, was born in New York and graduated from New York University.

He served 30 years in the Army before retiring in 1969. He was a combat infantry officer in World War II, and he participated in the Allied landings in France on June 6, 1944. He also served in the Korean War. For much of his military career, he was a transportation specialist, and he served in Japan and at various posts in the United States. He had lived in the Washington area for 41 years.

His decorations included a Legion of Merit and a Bronze Star.

After his Army retirement, he was a civilian chief of a logistics office for the Department of the Navy for 10 years. He received a Superior Civilian Service Award.

Col. Colen was a Mason and a member of Alexandria's Washington Masonic Lodge, the Scottish Rite and Kena Temple of the Shrine.

Survivors include his wife, Mari Colen of Fairfax; a daughter, Libby Colen Roper of Evergreen, Colo.; and two grandsons.