Robert P. Foreman

Navy Captain

Robert Peyton Foreman, 78, a retired Navy captain who also had worked for Mitre Corp. and Quest Research in the Washington area, died July 31 at the Heritage Hall care facility in Leesburg after a stroke. He lived in The Plains.

Capt. Foreman, who had maintained a home in the Washington area for more than 30 years, was born in Kentucky. A member of the Class of 1944 at the U.S. Naval Academy, he graduated from Annapolis in 1943. He later received a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from the Naval Postgraduate School and a master's degree in engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

He received his Navy commission in 1943 and served as a gunnery officer aboard the battleship South Dakota in the Pacific during World War II. After the war, he alternated between shore and surface assignments, commanding a minesweeper, a destroyer escort, a destroyer and finally a guided missile frigate.

Many of Capt. Foreman's shore assignments involved naval weapons systems programs. His last assignment before retiring from active duty in 1969 was in Washington, where he was working on anti-submarine weapons projects.

He worked for Mitre, where he was an engineer and administrator on transportation projects, from about 1969 to 1979. He worked for Quest in the 1980s, where he was involved in weapons systems work for the Navy Department.

Capt. Foreman was founder and master of the Mountain Road Beagles and had served on the boards of the National Beagle Club and of Institute Corp., which conserves property in Aldie, Va. He also was a life member of the National Rifle Association and a member of the Virginia Fox Hound Club and Grace Episcopal Church in The Plains.

Survivors include his wife, Frances Owens Foreman of The Plains; three sons, Robert Jr., of Ellicott City, Forrest O., of Providence, R.I., and Jonathan H., of St. Joseph, Ill.; a daughter, Elizabeth F. Spicer of Gibsonia, Pa.; and eight grandchildren.

John Chester Baker

Public Information Officer

John Chester Baker, 90, a former Arlington resident and retired U.S. Census Bureau public information officer, died of heart ailments July 28 at a hospital in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.

Mr. Baker, who settled in Florida in 1989, was born in Brazil, Ind., and graduated from Purdue University. After working for Chicago radio station as a farm broadcaster, he moved to Falls Church in 1938 and joined the staff of the War Relocation Authority.

He served in the Marine Corps during World War II, then resumed his broadcasting career in Illinois. He joined the Agriculture Department as a public information officer and returned to the Washington area in 1962. He later became a public relations officer for the U.S. Census Bureau and retired in 1970.

In retirement, he taught speech and writing classes at the USDA Graduate School. He also wrote a book, "The History of Farm Broadcasting," as well as several booklets on writing.

He performed with several community theaters, beginning with the Falls Church Community Players in the late 1930s and '40s, up through the Arlington Reader's Theater in the mid-1980s. He also was an active member of Morning Writers, a Northern Virginia writers group.

His first wife, Mary George Kleckner Baker, died in 1984, and his second wife, Elizabeth Elliott, died in April.

Survivors include two children from his first marriage, John L. Baker of Ellicott City and Mary Jo Baker Long of Alexandria; and five grandchildren.

Dorothy C. Windham

NIH Aide and Church Leader

Dorothy C. Windham, 74, a retired National Institutes of Health executive assistant who also was a church leader and community volunteer, died of a pulmonary embolism Aug. 1 at Suburban Hospital.

She was an active member of North Chevy Chase Christian Church, serving as a deaconess and a leader of the Christian Women's Fellowship. In the 1980s she founded a popular church group called Daytimers for senior citizens, and for many years, she was the soprano soloist in the Bethesda Christian Church.

A Chevy Chase resident, Mrs. Windham was a native Washingtonian and a graduate of Eastern High School. She worked as a secretary at the Internal Revenue Service, then spent about 17 years at NIH before retiring in 1977 as executive assistant to the director of research.

As a volunteer, she tutored disadvantaged elementary school children as part of a program sponsored by the OASIS Senior Citizens Organization. She also did work for Bethesda Cares, which operates a shelter for the homeless in Bethesda.

Her other interests included gardening, interior design and cooking.

Survivors include her husband of 51 years, Robert Windham of Chevy Chase; two sons, Craig Windham of Bethesda and Cris Windham of Winston-Salem, N.C.; a sister; and two grandchildren.

Julius Schlezinger


Julius Schlezinger, 87, a former government lawyer who retired in 1982 as a partner in the firm of Morgan, Lewis & Bachiaus, died of congestive heart failure Aug. 6 at his son's home in Oklahoma City. A longtime Bethesda resident, he lived in Oklahoma for the past two years.

A specialist in international law, he began his career in 1930 as a lawyer for the National Labor Relations Board and later joined the Justice Department. In 1952, he left government work to open a private practice, Friedman, Locker & Schlezinger, that subsequently merged with another firm and eventually into Morgan, Lewis & Bachiaus.

Mr. Schlezinger was a native of Columbus, Ohio. He was a graduate of Ohio State University and its law school. He was a member of the Order of Coif and the law review.

During World War II, he served as an infantryman in Europe and was awarded the Bronze Star.

He was a founding member of Ohr Kodesh Congregation in Bethesda.

Survivors include his wife, Betty Schlezinger of Bethesda; a son, Ira Schlezinger of Oklahoma City; two brothers; and two grandsons.

Concetta R. Barbuto

Church Member

Concetta R. Barbuto, 94, a Potomac resident who was a member and volunteer of Catholic church organizations and who was a Washington-area resident since 1934, died of congestive heart failure Aug. 6 at Suburban Hospital.

Mrs. Barbuto was a past member of St. Francis Xavier Church in Washington and a member of Our Lady of Mercy Church in Potomac. She was active in the Sodality and Mother clubs of both churches and a volunteer with Our Lady of Mercy Church's antique show.

Born in Celenze Val Fortore, Italy, she was a little girl when her family immigrated to this country and settled in Connecticut. She came to Washington in 1934, then moved to Potomac in 1965.

Her husband, Anthony R. Barbuto, died in 1994. Survivors include a son, Robert Barbuto of Potomac; a sister, Mary DiFrancesco of Bethesda; and two grandchildren.

Kimberly Noelle Burney Bednash

Fairfax Native

Kimberly Noelle Burney Bednash, 31, a 1989 graduate of Paul VI High School, a private Catholic school in her native Fairfax, died July 30 at a hospital in San Diego.

The results of an autopsy are awaiting the completion of laboratory studies, according to an investigator with the San Diego Medical Examiner's office. He added that officials do not suspect foul play and are continuing to investigate.

Mrs. Bednash, a customer service manager for travel agency Intele Travel International, lived in San Diego for the past nine years. She was found unconscious in her home and was taken to Sharp Memorial Hospital, where she died two days later.

Survivors include her husband, Thomas Bednash of San Diego; her mother, Carol Burney of Flagstaff, Ariz.; her father, David Burney of San Diego; and a grandmother.

Mary Whiston Gallagher


Mary Whiston Gallagher, 86, who retired in 1972 as Washington correspondent for the Cincinnati Enquirer, died Aug. 3 at Pentagon City Hospital after a stroke. Her home was in Arlington.

Mrs. Gallagher attended the University of Southern California. She operated a newspaper clipping service in her native Buffalo before moving to Washington in 1947 to work for the Buffalo Courier Express.

She was president of the Washington Press Club and a member of the National Press Club and White House Correspondents Association.

Her first husband, Frank Murphy, died in 1947.

Survivors include her husband of 46 years, Joseph V. Gallagher.

Harry Simon Mensh


Harry Simon Mensh, 69, a retired residential housing builder, died Aug. 6 at Georgetown University Hospital after a stroke.

Mr. Mensh, who lived in Springfield, was born in Fellsmere, Fla. He served in the Army during the Korean War.

Forty-three years ago, he moved to the Washington area, where he was self-employed as a home builder. He retired in 1993.

Mr. Mensh was a member of the Springfield Masonic lodge, the Alexandria Scottish Rite and Kena Temple of the Shrine.

Survivors include his wife of 43 years, Esther A. Mensh of Springfield; two children, Gail Sage of Woodbridge and Barry Mensh of Dumfries; a brother, Louis Mensh of Staunton, Va.; three sisters, Doris Levin of Silver Spring, Janet Mensh of Lynchburg and Ruth Gordon of Fort Myers, Fla.; and three grandchildren.

Lillie F. Levine

Delicatessen Co-ownerLillie

F. Levine, 82, who along with her husband, Herman M. Levine, owned and operated Friendship Delicatessen in Northwest Washington for 20 years until they sold the business in the late 1970s, died of lung cancer Aug. 6 at a hospital in Boynton Beach, Fla.

Mrs. Levine, a native Washingtonian, retired to Delray Beach, Fla., in 1992. She was a graduate of Central High School and a past member Temple Sinai in Washington.

She also was an avid bridge player and was active in community organizations in Delray Beach.

Her husband died in 1993. Survivors include two children, Maxine Goldman of Burke and Ronny Levine of Takoma Park; a brother, Sam Furash of Boynton Beach; and two grandchildren.

Margaret Ann Sullivan

Edmonston Council Member

Margaret Ann Sullivan, 74, a homemaker who served eight two-year terms on the Edmonston Town Council and who briefly served as the town's police commissioner in the late 1960s, died of cancer Aug. 5 at a daughter's home in New Carrollton.

Mrs. Sullivan, who served on the council from 1969 to 1985, was a native of Dunmore, Pa. She came to the Washington area in 1948 and became interested in the local politics of Edmonston, a town of about 400 houses in northwest Prince George's County.

Survivors include her husband, Gerard J. Sullivan of Edmonston; three children, Patricia Warren of New Carrollton, James Sullivan of Ellicott City, and Mary Reali of New Carrollton; a sister; and four grandchildren.