Geraldine Brown Sitrick


Geraldine Brown Sitrick, 72, who volunteered for 30 years as an aide in the nursing department of Sibley Memorial Hospital, died of lung cancer Aug. 8 at the Hospice of Washington. She lived in Bethesda.

Mrs. Sitrick was a native of Washington and a graduate of Wilson High School. She attended the University of Maryland and the University of Wisconsin.

She was a member of Washington Hebrew Congregation, Lions of Judah charitable organization and Kenwood Golf and Country Club.

Survivors include her husband of 53 years, Joseph Sitrick of Bethesda; three children, Claudia Mitchell and Deborah Claxton, both of Ellicott City, and Robert Sitrick of Bethesda; a brother, Donald Brown of Washington; and three grandchildren.

Laura Ann Carter

Web Site Producer

Laura Ann Carter, 34, a producer for the Web site of the National Geographic Society, died of breast cancer Aug. 9 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Ms. Carter, who lived in Takoma Park, was born in Lynchburg, Va. In 1972, her family moved to Silver Spring. She attended Springbrook High School and Simon's Rock College. She graduated from Vassar College in 1985. Later she studied at the London School of Economics and Political Science.

During high school, Ms. Carter held internships with Rep. Steny H. Hoyer (D-Md.) and at the National Gallery of Art. She wrote freelance articles for The Washington Post.

In 1988, she joined National Geographic Television after having worked in the press and editorial office of the National Gallery of Art. She worked in public relations and acquisitions at National Geographic.

When the society launched its Web site in 1996, she joined the staff as a producer, specializing in feature stories related to National Geographic television programming.

Survivors include her companion, Karen Bryant of Takoma Park; her father, William J. Carter of Washington; her stepfather, Robert G. Smith of Chestertown; and a sister, Jennie Carter of Minneapolis.

Margaret Helgesen Wallenfelt


Margaret Helgesen Wallenfelt, 67, a former secretary, bookkeeper and school bus driver, died Aug. 6 at the Charles County Nursing Home in La Plata of progressive supranuclear palsy.

Mrs. Wallenfelt, a longtime resident of Temple Hills, was born in Salem, Wis., and grew up in Alexandria. She was a 1949 graduate of George Washington High School.

In the 1950s, she did secretarial work at Eastern Airlines and the Government Printing Office. She was a secretary at Lansburg's Furniture Co. in the 1960s and a Prince George's County school bus driver in the 1970s. In the 1980s, she did bookkeeping for the Elks lodge in Temple Hills. She was a member of Jobs' Daughters and the Ladies Auxiliary of the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Survivors include her husband, Jack Wallenfelt Sr. of Temple Hills; four children, Jack Wallenfelt Jr. of Upper Marlboro, Jo Ann Breed of Hilton Head, S.C., James Wallenfelt of White Marsh, Md., and Jeffrey Wallenfelt of Waldorf; a brother, Harry Helgesen of Ramona, Calif.; and four grandchildren.

Clarence J. Wheeler Jr.

Personnel Official

Clarence J. Wheeler Jr., 53, the human resources director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, died of a heart attack July 27 at George Washington University Hospital.

Mr. Wheeler, a resident of Arlington, was born in Seattle. He graduated from the University of Puget Sound.

He began his career in personnel with the Forest Service in Seattle. He transferred to the Washington area in 1977. Over the years, he worked for the departments of Health and Human Services, Interior and Defense. He joined BATF about a year ago.

Mr. Wheeler was a volunteer with the Christian Science Reading Room in Falls Church.

His marriages to Janice Wheeler and Evelyn Wheeler ended in divorce.

Survivors include three daughters from his first marriage, Erika Wheeler of Annandale, Stephanie Wheeler of Arlington and Stacey Wheeler of Seattle; another daughter, Jessie Callandret of Seattle; a stepson, Christopher Thomas of Annandale; and his father, Clarence J. Wheeler Sr. of Seattle.

Foster Howard Templon

Maintenance Engineer

Foster Howard Templon, 81, a retired maintenance engineer at Greater Southeast Hospital who was a prisoner of war in World War II, died Aug. 6 at the Veterans Medical Center in Washington. He had cancer.

In 1939, Mr. Templon enlisted in the Army Air Corps, the forerunner of the Air Force. He was stationed in the Philippines when the Japanese attacked on Dec. 7, 1941, bringing the United States into World War II. He was taken prisoner in April 1942 and survived the infamous Bataan Death March. He later was taken to Japan, where he was liberated at war's end.

Mr. Templon was born in Altoona, Pa. He moved to the Washington area in 1950 and settled in Fort Washington. He was a maintenance engineer with a housing project in Oxon Hill before joining the staff of Greater Southeast Hospital in 1967. He retired in 1980.

Mr. Templon was active in veterans organizations.

Survivors include his wife of 53 years, Patricia Jane Templon of Fort Washington; three children, Michael Paul Templon of New York City, Timothy Robin Templon of Morningside, Md., and April Sue Jackson of Oxon Hill; 12 grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.