Virgil Smirnow

Health Publicist

Virgil Smirnow, 80, the founder of a public relations firm that specialized in issues relating to kidney diseases and other health problems, died Aug. 2 at Inova Fairfax Hospital. He had heart and kidney ailments.

Dr. Smirnow was a founding member in 1948 of the President's Committee on the Handicapped, now the President's Committee on Persons with Disabilities, and he served on the panel until 1989.

Through his firm, Virgil Smirnow Associates, he played an important role in the 1960s in gaining passage of legislation that brought the cost of dialysis for persons with end stage renal disease under Medicare. At one point he organized a demonstration of dialysis before the House Ways and Means Committee.

Dr. Smirnow published the Nephrology Resource Directory, which appeared twice a year, and he was the author of numerous articles in the health field. He was the national editor of the Dialysis and Transplantation Journal. He coordinated conferences on phrenology and was a recipient of the lifetime achievement award from the Psychophrenology Conference.

A resident of Bethesda, Dr. Smirnow was born in Bridgeport, Conn. He graduated from the University of Alabama. He received a doctorate in public health from Pacific Western University.

He moved to the Washington area in 1944 and began his career as a personnel specialist for the handicapped in programs attached to the Executive Office of the President. He founded his own firm in 1947 and operated it until his death.

Dr. Smirnow also was a judge of the American Arbitration Association, a consultant to the National Kidney Foundation, a member of the United Network for Organ Sharing and a community relations consultant to the Bio-Medical Dialysis Center of Metropolitan Washington. He was a founding director of the National Dialysis Committee.

In the 1950s, he was associate director of the B'nai B'rith Vocational Service Bureau.

Survivors include his wife of 50 years, Beatrice Smirnow of Bethesda; two sons, Jed Lewis Smirnow of Greensboro, N.C., and Eric Smirnow of Cedaredge, Colo.

Robert E. 'Bob' Montgomery


Robert E. "Bob" Montgomery, 74, a former top-rated real estate salesman in Montgomery County, died Aug. 5 at the Frederick Health Care Home in Frederick. He had Alzheimer's disease.

Mr. Montgomery, a resident of Adamstown, Md., was born in Speers, Pa. During World War II, he served in the Army. He attended Temple University.

In 1955, he moved to the Washington area. He worked for the Co-Op grocery chain until 1959 when he became a real estate agent.

For each of the next 15 years, mostly while working for Ted Lingo Real Estate, he was among the top 10 in sales of the Montgomery County Board of Realtors.

For five of those years, he was the board's No. 1 salesman in the county.

In 1974, Mr. Montgomery founded Group One Real Estate in Rockville. He ran the firm until 1990. After that, he worked for Remax until retiring in 1998.

Mr. Montgomery lived in Rockville until moving to Adamstown in 1993. He was a treasurer of the Rockville Chapter of the Izaak Walton League. He also was a private pilot.

His wife of 50 years, Ruth Bennington Montgomery, died in 1998.

Survivors include three children, Marcie Moroney of Germantown, Gary R. Montgomery of Gaithersburg and Richard L. Montgomery of Adamstown; two brothers; one sister; and three grandchildren.

Marvin Hayne Kendrick


Marvin Hayne Kendrick, 88, a retired physician who practiced general surgery in Alexandria for 30 years, died of pneumonia July 31 at Williamsburg Community Hospital.

Dr. Kendrick was born in Luverne, Ala. He graduated from the University of Alabama and Harvard Medical School, and he studied at the Mayo Clinic. During World War II, he served in the Army Medical Corps.

In the late 1940s, he settled in Alexandria and began practicing general surgery. He retired in the 1970s, but then practiced medicine at the Rader Clinic at Fort Myer into the 1980s.

He had moved to Williamsburg in January.

His first wife, Barbara Truesdell Kendrick, died in 1961.

Survivors include his wife, Patricia Kendrick of Williamsburg; four children of his first marriage, Dr. Marvin H. Kendrick Jr. of Boston, Barbara Kendrick of Waynesboro, Va., Eleanor Kendrick of Staunton, Va., and Susan K. Austin of Pittsfield, Mass.; and five grandchildren.

John L. Graumann


John L. Graumann, 80, a painter who retired in 1979 from a general contracting firm, Davis Co., died of a heart ailment Aug. 3 at his home in Palm Coast, Fla. He had moved there 20 years ago from his native Alexandria.

Mr. Graumann attended George Washington High School. He became a painter in the 1930s.

His wife, Lillian Graumann, died in 1991. Their son, John C. Graumann, died in February.

Survivors include a son, Robert L. Graumann of Chantilly; a sister, Helen Graumann of San Antonio; two brothers, Norbert Graumann of San Antonio and Eugene Graumann of Spottsylvania, Va.; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Arleen Iverson Cain


Arleen Iverson Cain, 74, who retired in 1996 as an executive secretary with E-Systems in Fairfax, died of cancer Aug. 7 at Arlington Hospital. She lived in Arlington.

Mrs. Cain began her secretarial career in 1943 in her native Jamestown, N.D. She worked there and in Denver and Washington for Farmers Union Insurance Co. before joining the staff of Rep. Usher Burdick (N.D.), a member of the Non-Partisan League, in 1952.

After leaving her Hill job in 1958, she resumed work in 1977 and was employed by Action Secretarial, Arlington Hospital and Planning Research Corp. in McLean before joining E-Systems in 1988.

Survivors include her husband of 42 years, D. Jamison Cain of Arlington; three sons, Andrew Cain of Richmond, Jimmie Cain of Atlanta and Paul Cain of Arlington; a brother; and a sister.

Ervin Wilbur Nelson

Chief Warrant Officer

Ervin Wilbur Nelson, 89, a former Navy chief warrant officer who retired in 1971 from a statistical-accounting position in the Navy Finance Office, died July 30 at Montgomery General Hospital. He had cancer.

Mr. Nelson, who lived in Leisure World, was born in Omaha. He served in the Navy from 1929 to 1949, and served aboard submarines in the Pacific during World War II.

He was a Mason, a member of Almas Temple and a Sojourner.

His first wife, Myrtle Crews Nelson, died in 1964.

Survivors include his wife of 26 years, Helen C. Nelson of Silver Spring, and a sister.

Cathrine T.M. Tiemann


Cathrine T.M. Tiemann, 56, a businesswoman who for the last 10 years had operated a company that assists persons in adjusting to foreign assignments, died of cancer Aug. 5 at Inova Fairfax Hospital.

Ms. Tiemann, who lived in Vienna, was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., and attended William Paterson College in New Jersey.

She began her business career with Bell Atlantic and was manager of human resources in Madison, N.J., before relocating to the Washington area 15 years ago. In 1988 she retired from Bell Atlantic and started her own company, Global Human Resource Service Ltd., based in Great Falls. She was president of the firm, which has operations around the world.

Ms. Tiemann was a director of Virginia Public Television and a member of the Business and Professional Women's Organization in Great Falls.

Survivors include her companion, James Harry Lechliter of Vienna.

Julie Mae Thomas

Postal Worker

Julie Mae Thomas, 87, who worked in the mail equipment shop of the U.S. Postal Service in Washington from about 1955 to 1975, died of heart disease July 15 at the home of a nephew in Bear, Del.

Mrs. Thomas was born in Caroline County, Va. She attended Virginia Union College.

In 1930, she moved to Washington. Before joining the Post Office Department, she worked for the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.

Since 1990, she had lived with her son in Georgia and another relative in Oklahoma. She moved to Delaware about a year ago.

Her marriage to James Leroy Meredith ended in divorce. Her second husband, Rudolph Kirven, died in 1959. Her third husband, William Zeke Thomas, died in 1977.

Survivors include one son from her first marriage, William L. Meredith of Fitzgerald, Ga.; nine grandchildren; 14 great-grandchildren; and three great-great-grandchildren.

John Willis Paulson

Army Master Sergeant

John Willis Paulson, 75, a retired Army master sergeant who specialized in finance and accounting, died Aug. 6 at Inova Fairfax Hospital of complications following heart bypass surgery.

Mr. Paulson, who lived in Front Royal, was born in Grygla, Minn. His 21 years of Army service included World War II duty with an infantry unit in the Philippines. He left military service for periods after the war but then rejoined the Army. He served with Occupation Forces in Japan and later in Eritrea, Alaska and Korea. He came to the Washington area in the 1950s and was serving in the office of the comptroller at the Army Security Agency when he retired in 1968.

His decorations included the Army Commendation Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster.

After his military retirement, he was a civilian finance and accounting specialist with the Army Security Agency until retiring from federal service in 1983.

He was a trustee and member of the church council at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church in Front Royal. He had been president of the Warren County Council of Churches, and was a member of the Advisory Board of the Salvation Army. He was founder and coordinator of the tax assistance program of the American Association of Retired Persons in Front Royal.

Mr. Paulson's avocations included hiking and bird-watching. He was a member of the National Audubon Society, the Nature Conservancy, the Warren County Chapter of the Izaak Walton League and the U.S. Army Finance Officers Association, the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Survivors include his wife, Rosalie Kennedy Paulson of Front Royal; three daughters, Rebekah R. Paulson of Arlington, Melanie L. Jackson of Front Royal, and Loralie L. Brown of Woodbridge; three sisters; five grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Jonathan Craig Warren

Science Editor

Jonathan Craig Warren, 42, science editor at the Smithsonian Institution Press, died Aug. 3 at Inova Fairfax Hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. Warren, who lived in Alexandria, was born in Richmond. He moved to Northern Virginia in 1967 and graduated from Robert E. Lee High School. He attended George Mason University and graduated from James Madison University.

For six years he had been a science editor at the Smithsonian Institution Press. Earlier he was a paleobiologist at the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History.

His avocations included playing volleyball and skiing.

Survivors include his parents, Mary and Daniel Warren of Springfield.

Virginia Duncan MacKay

Dancer and Teacher

Virginia Duncan MacKay, 79, former prima ballerina of the Schubert Opera Co. in New York who had operated the Studio of the Dance in Arlington since the 1960s, died of cancer Aug. 5 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia. She lived in Arlington.

Mrs. MacKay was a native of San Antonio, who studied dance at schools that included the Metropolitan Opera Ballet School. She danced with the Schubert company from the 1930s to the 1950s, and toured the country three times.

She began her first dance studio in the Palm Beach in the 1950s.

Survivors include a brother.

Robert Michael Mingone

Waiter and Bartender

Robert Michael Mingone, 63, a waiter at C.J. Ferrari's Italian restaurant in Laurel for the last 13 years, died of cancer Aug. 6 at Howard County General Hospital in Columbia.

Mr. Mingone, who lived in Elkridge, was born in Pittsburgh. He was an Army military policeman in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

In 1963, he moved to the Washington area. He was a waiter and bartender at several restaurants, including Rector's in Marlowe Heights and the Occidental in Washington before he began working at Ferrari's in Laurel.

His marriage to Elizabeth D. Mingone ended in divorce.

Survivors include two children, Kathleen Lovizes of Hanover and Robert Mingone of Germantown; and four grandchildren.

Matthew F. McNulty Jr.

Medical Center Chancellor

Matthew F. McNulty Jr., 84, who retired in 1986 after 12 years as chancellor of the Georgetown University Medical Center, which included three medical schools and the hospital, died Aug. 5 at his home in Ocean Springs, Miss. He had Shy-Drager syndrome, a nervous system disorder.

Dr. McNulty joined the Georgetown staff in 1969 as vice president for medical center affairs. He had come to Washington in 1964 as founding director of the Council on Teaching Hospitals of the Association of American Medical Colleges.

He was a native of Elizabeth, N.J., and a graduate of St. Peter's College in New Jersey. He received a master's degree in hospital administration from Northwestern University and a second master's, in public health, from the University of North Carolina. He was awarded honorary doctorates by the University of Alabama, St. Peter's and Georgetown University.

Dr. McNulty served in the Army Air Forces during World War II.

He was director of the University of Alabama hospital and clinic system before moving to Washington.

Dr. McNulty was a trustee of organizations that included Blue Cross-Blue Shield of the National Capital Area, Kaiser Foundation Health Plans and Hospitals and the D.C. League of Nursing. He was president of the Hospital Council of the National Capital Area and the National League of Nursing. He was a member of the Cosmos Club and was a Knight of Malta.

Survivors include his wife of 53 years, Mary Nell Johnson McNulty of Ocean Springs; two children, Mary Lauren McNulty of Bethesda and Matthew F. McNulty III of Salt Lake City; a sister; and four grandchildren.

Emily Truitt Duley


Emily Truitt Duley, 91, a home economics teacher who retired in the 1960s from Upper Marlboro High School, died Aug. 9 at the Baden House extended care facility in Upper Marlboro. She had suffered a stroke.

Mrs. Duley was born in Snow Hill, Md., and had lived in Upper Marlboro for much of her life. She was a graduate of Upper Marlboro High School and the University of Maryland. She taught for more than 40 years, at high schools that included Maryland Park, Surrattsville and Indian Head.

She was a member of the National Education Association, Prince George's County Educators Association and the Evening Circle at Trinity Episcopal Church in Upper Marlboro.

Her marriage to John Hawkshaw ended in divorce. Her second husband, Thomas Duley, died last year.

Survivors include two children from her first marriage, Barbara Shanklin of Merry Point, Va., and Hilton Head Island, S.C., resident Thomas William Duley, who was adopted by her second husband; a son from her second marriage, also named Thomas, Thomas Finegan Duley of Upper Marlboro; five grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

William Bernhard Clatanoff


William Bernhard Clatanoff, 83, who owned the Wilkens Clothing Store in Annapolis and was state superintendent of buildings and groups during the administration of Maryland Gov. Theodore R. McKeldin in the early 1950s, died Aug. 6 at a nursing home in Annapolis. He had Parkinson's disease.

Mr. Clatanoff was also Annapolis police commissioner in the early 1970s and served on the Anne Arundel County Selective Service Board. He ran unsuccessfully as a Republican candidate for Congress and as a county commissioner after World War II.

Mr. Clatanoff was born in Nebraska and raised in Cordova, Md. He owned a hardware and dry-goods store in Chestertown, Md., befor World War II. He served in the Army in the Philippines during the war.

He had also operated Economy Auto in Annapolis and was treasurer of the Capital City Building and Loan Association.

He was a member of the Annapolis Yacht Club, the Rotary Club, Elks and First Presbyterian Church in Annapolis.

His wife, Rebecca Medford Clatanoff, died in 1992. Survivors include two children, Diane C. White of Annapolis and William B. Clatanoff Jr., counselor of labor affairs at the American Embassy in Tokyo; two brothers; a sister; and four grandchildren.

Freda Lee Satterfield


Freda Lee Satterfield, 77, a Takoma Park homemaker and former radiology technician at Holy Cross Hospital, died Aug. 9 at home in Takoma Park of complications of diabetes.

Mrs. Satterfield was born in Kosciusko, Miss., and moved to the Washington area in the 1940s.

She was a radiology technician at Holy Cross Hospital in the 1970s.

Survivors include her husband of 55 years, Cicero Satterfield of Takoma Park; 12 children, Eleanor Claudette Lockett of Silver Spring, Aurelia Letitia Moore of Mount Rainier, Kareem Ali of Arlington, Dr. Terry L. Satterfield of Clinton, Thalia Ulrica Campbell of Lanham, Quintin Demetrius Satterfield of Wheaton, Betram Darius Satterfield of Clayton, N.C., Renee Anastasia Nettey and Felicia Althea Ojo, both of Olney, Navy Chief Petty Officer Arthur LaPlace Satterfield of Atlantic Beach, Fla., Lemuel Osbert Satterfield of Columbia, Mineva Conchita Strong of Laurel; 35 grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.