Harold F. O'Keefe

Laboratory Director

Harold F. O'Keefe, 87, who retired in 1984 as a laboratory director with the Federal Trade Commission, died of congestive heart failure July 27 at the Westminster retirement center in Lake Ridge.

He was a native of Roston, Ark., and a graduate of the University of Arkansas. He began his career with the Food and Drug Administration in 1937 as a seafood inspector in New Orleans and later was a drug analyst at the agency's Chicago laboratory.

After transferring to Washington in 1951, he was assistant director of the bureau of regulatory management. He went to the FTC in 1969. After he retired, he was a pharmaceuticals consultant.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy Webb O'Keefe of Lake Ridge; two daughters, Deborah Harshbarger of Milledgeville, Ga., and Deanna Hays of Palm Beach, Fla.; and six grandchildren.

Gertrude Niema Boesch


Gertrude Niema Boesch, 76, a former Bethesda resident and junior high school teacher, died of cancer Aug. 11 at Memorial Hospital in Easton, Md.

Mrs. Boesch, who for the past seven years lived in St. Michaels, Md., was a native of Houghton, Mich., and a graduate of the University of Maryland.

From 1953 to 1958, she taught at Montgomery Hill Jr. High School in Silver Spring. She worked as a Montgomery County public school substitute teacher for about 10 years until the late 1960s.

Survivors include her husband of 45 years, David S. Boesch Sr. of St. Michaels; two sons, David S. Boesch Jr. of Sunnyvale, Calif., and Russell R. Boesch of Nashua, N.H.; a brother; three sisters; and two grandchildren.

Jdee Beal Winans

Labor and Delivery Nurse

Jdee Beal Winans, 44, who worked 17 years at the Washington Hospital Center before retiring on disability in 1998 as head nurse of the labor and delivery unit, died of malignant melanoma Aug. 11 at her home in Woodbridge.

Mrs. Winans, a native Washingtonian, was a graduate of St. Regina High School in Adelphi and George Mason University. She also attended the University of Maryland.

She was a member of the American Nurses Association and the Association of Women's Health, Obstetrics and Neonatal Nursing.

Survivors include her husband, Dennis Winans, and their daughter, Jillian, both of Woodbridge; her father, Oswald Beal of College Park; and a brother, Craig Beal of College Park.

Gertrude D. Furlow

Flower Show Judge

Gertrude D. Furlow, 100, a former president of the Kenwood Garden Club who chaired and judged flower shows in the Washington area, died of sepsis Aug. 10 at a Springhouse assisted-living facility in Bethesda.

Mrs. Furlow attended the University of Wisconsin and then worked as a medical secretary at the Mayo Clinic in her native Rochester, Minn. She moved to the Washington area in 1930.

She volunteered during the embassy tours sponsored by the National Capital Garden Club League. She was a golfer and a member of Kenwood Golf and Country Club.

Her husband of 38 years, Walter S. Furlow Sr., died in 1968 .

Survivors include two children, Walter S. Furlow Jr. of Washington and Mary E. Furlow of Deale Beach, Md.; and a sister.

Jean Marion Chisholm

Foreign Service Officer

Jean Marion Chisholm, 94, a Foreign Service officer who retired in 1964 after 21 years of service, died of congestive heart failure Aug. 11 at her home in Washington.

Ms. Chisholm was born in White Bear Lake, Minn., and graduated from Macalester College in St. Paul. She was a schoolteacher in North Dakota and Minnesota before moving to Washington and joining the Foreign Service in the 1930s.

She was posted in Ecuador, Brazil, Honduras, Mexico, Cuba, Finland, Austria and Israel and specialized in personnel matters.

She was an elder and deacon at Western Presbyterian Church in Washington, and a member of the P.E.O. Sisterhood.

Survivors include two sisters.

Margaret Glass


Margaret Glass, 78, retired secretary-treasurer of the Roland Glass Foods wholesale company, died of renal disease Aug. 10 at Suburban Hospital. She lived in Chevy Chase.

Mrs. Glass, a native of Mount Pleasant, Pa., moved to the Washington area during World War II. After her marriage in 1947 to wholesaler Roland Glass, she joined him in his business. Their Cheverly firm distributes perishable specialty food in the mid-Atlantic region.

Mr. Glass died in 1993, and Mrs. Glass remained active in the business for about two more years.

Survivors include two children, Iris Glass Feuerstein of Potomac and David Glass of Rockville; three sisters; and five grandchildren.

John F. Howard Sr.

Army Colonel

John F. Howard Sr., 93, a retired Army colonel who spent most of his career as a supply officer in the quartermaster corps, died of pneumonia Aug. 9 at the Goodwin House West in Falls Church.

Col. Howard, who had lived in the Washington area since 1987, was born in Williamsport, Pa. He began his 32-year military career in 1923 as a lieutenant in the California National Guard.

During the early years of World War II, he served on the logistics and supply staff of the Army Western Defense Command headquartered in Pasadena, Calif. In 1944, he was assigned to the logistics staff at Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Forces in London and subsequently in France and Germany. He later became director of procurement of the Giessen Quartermaster Depot in Germany, where he was instrumental in planning Army logistics support of the Berlin Airlift.

He also was responsible for the procurement of military uniforms, special clothing and equipment during the Korean War as chief of purchasing for the Armed Forces at the Philadelphia Quartermaster Corps. He retired to California in 1955, then moved to the Washington area in 1987.

He was a member of Holy Cross Episcopal Church in Dunn Loring.

Survivors include his wife of 71 years, Phebe E. Howard of Falls Church; two children, Joan Burgess of Falls Church and John F. Howard Jr. of Beverly Hills, Calif.; six grandchildren; and 11 great-grandchildren.