Diplomat May Be Transferred

Sentence Could Be Served in Homeland

A Georgian diplomat convicted of charges stemming from a traffic accident in Washington that killed a 16-year-old girl may be returning to his homeland to serve the rest of his prison sentence.

Discussions on the transfer of Gueorgui Makharadze have intensified in recent weeks as the Justice Department, the State Department and Georgian government officials try to work out the arrangements, sources said.

The transfer, requested by the Georgian government, would take place under the terms of international treaties.

Makharadze, who was deputy chief of mission at the Georgian Embassy, was drunk and speeding the night of Jan. 3, 1997, when his car plowed into a line of cars waiting at a stoplight near Dupont Circle. The crash killed Joviane Waltrick, 16, and injured four other people.

Because Makharadze had diplomatic immunity, authorities at first were unable to charge him with any crimes. Georgian President Eduard Shevardnadze waived Makharadze's immunity, and Makharadze pleaded guilty in D.C. Superior Court to involuntary manslaughter and aggravated assault. He was sentenced to a term of seven to 21 years and is now in a federal prison in Butner, N.C.

Y2K Repairs Fall Behind

Critical D.C. Services Miss Deadlines

A U.S. General Accounting Office official said the year 2000 computer-repair effort in the District has fallen behind its tight schedule. Several "priority one" departments, including public works, personnel, employment services and procurement, have missed deadlines to make sure their computers are Y2K-compliant, according to Ronald L. Hess, assistant director of GAO's Government-wide and Defense Information Systems Division. The D.C. chief technology officer, Suzanne J. Peck, said she is confident that the city will finish its work on critical services by the end of the year.

Limits on Crab Harvests

Low Yields Take Toll on Watermen

The Potomac River Fisheries Commission voted to establish a temporary daily harvest limit on blue crabs of 30 bushels this fall. The Chesapeake Bay has had low blue-crab harvests for two summers in a row, and the Potomac supplies one-tenth of the bay's harvest. The poor yields have taken a toll on watermen who depend on them for a living. The commission estimated that the 30-bushel limit will result in an autumn harvest reduction of 8 percent.

Across the Region

Eviction Shooting; D.C. Curfew

* The Montgomery County state's attorney's office will pay a former prosecutor $320,000 to settle her sexual discrimination lawsuit against a former state's attorney. Teresa Whalen alleged that Robert L. Dean fired her because she ended their two-year affair. Neither Dean nor anyone else admitted any wrongdoing in Whalen's firing in May 1997. Dean was defeated in last year's Democratic primary by Douglas F. Gansler, who later won Dean's old post.

* When Prince George's County sheriff's deputies with eviction papers knocked on his door, Richard E. Hummer began shooting, police said. The 59-year-old unemployed electrical engineer walked out of his College Park home and aimed a shotgun at deputies, who fatally shot him, police said. One deputy suffered a graze wound to his head. The day before, Hummer had sent out an e-mail detailing his problems, beginning with a 1995 bicycle accident that he said resulted in the loss of his job.

* After Labor Day, youths 16 and younger won't be allowed to roam the District late at night. Police will begin enforcing the city's juvenile curfew law Sept. 7. The law prohibits youths from being in public places from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. Sunday through Thursday and from midnight to 6 a.m. Friday and Saturday. An injunction barring enforcement of the curfew was lifted last week.

* A District police officer could face up to 9 1/2 years in prison after being found guilty of assault and domestic violence charges. Prosecutors say Kenneth L. Nelson kicked his wife, beat his stepson and killed the family's two cats. Nelson, 34, was convicted of 19 counts and acquitted of a dozen others in a week-long nonjury trial. He is scheduled to be sentenced in September.

* About 1,000 people gathered to honor the memory of former D.C. Council member Harry Thomas Sr., a kindly curmudgeon known for his strong opinions. Thomas (D), who represented Ward 5 for three terms, died of a heart attack at age 77. The former welterweight boxer was recalled at his funeral as someone who might deck a friend if he got in his way--and then "would throw his arms around him and pick him up."

* Montgomery County police dogs are making a fashion statement. They're among the first in the country to sport the latest in canine patrol wear: custom bulletproof vests. The Humane Society contributed 21 vests, at $350 a pop, to the county's 17-member canine corps and to dogs belonging to Takoma Park police and the Montgomery County division of the Maryland Park Police. The group also gave the county 17 temperature-monitoring devices that automatically roll down windows and start fans when parked patrol cars get too hot.

* U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Dan Glickman declared Maryland and additional parts of Virginia agricultural disaster areas Wednesday as the drought continued. The declaration made more farmers eligible for federal loans. The announcement covers Washington's Maryland suburbs, which have faded to dusty brown, rendering them federal disaster areas for the second time in two years.

* Residents near Springfield's Robert E. Lee High School have a clear view of the building now--and that's the problem, they say. Twenty-four mature oak trees that separated a town house community from the school were removed in a ripple effect from a road-widening project that is part of the giant plan to rebuild the Springfield Interchange. The homeowners said the razing caught them by surprise.

-- Phuong Ly and Sewell Chan

Teen Shot With Baby by Her Side

Boyfriend, 2 Others Charged in Landover Hills Slaying

Tiffany Dionna Jackson and David John Head had dated for more than three years, friends and neighbors said. The couple, both 17, doted on their baby daughter, Diamond.

But prosecutors say that Head, of Landover, was so angry at his girlfriend after an argument that he plotted her death. Jackson was fatally shot Monday as she slept in her Landover Hills bedroom with the couple's 11-month-old daughter curled up at her side.

Head is charged with first-degree murder and was ordered held without bond. Prince George's County officials said that Head supplied the murder weapon--a handgun--to one of two friends he had recruited to help him carry out the slaying.

Kyle Joseph Bruce, of Landover, and James McKinley Benton III, of Capitol Heights, are each charged with first-degree murder, first-degree assault and use of a handgun.

Police said Bruce drove Head and Benton to Jackson's home. As Head and Bruce waited in the car, police said, Benton went inside and found Jackson in the back bedroom. He woke her up and shot her at point-blank range, police said. The baby and three other children who were in the house were not wounded.

Weapons Buyback Reaps Rewards

District Program Resumed After Temporary Delay

They waited in line to turn in their guns. One woman had been unnerved by her 4-year-old son's incessant talk about her .32-caliber gun. A man had found two pistols in his stepson's room.

Dozens of citizens brought illegal guns to turn in to D.C. police for a crisp $100 bill. Problem was, the money source dried up.

After three days of success, residents were turned away at the guns-for-cash program in Northeast Washington. The nearly $50,000 program was jointly funded by the D.C. police and the Department of Housing and Urban Development, but not all the money from HUD was available in time, said D.C. officer Andre Wright, who created the program.

"I spend my life chasing down people with guns, putting my life on the line every day," said Wright, chief investigator for the 6th District gun unit. "And today we are having to turn people back onto the streets with live guns in their hands."

The program resumed the next day after the bureaucratic snag was fixed. Officers netted about 600 handguns, rifles and shotguns in five days.

CAPTION: Stuffed animals and photographs adorn a car in memory of Tiffany Dionna Jackson, 17, outside the house where she was killed.

CAPTION: Tiffany Jackson doted on her daughter.

CAPTION: Chief gun investigator Andre Wright, left, and property officer Anthony Rice are surrounded by weapons that were turned in.