Charles Palmer Hisey

Insurance Agent

Charles Palmer Hisey, 74, a retired Northern Virginia Allstate Insurance agent, died of prostate cancer Aug. 14 at home in Madison, Va.

Mr. Hisey was born in Warrenton and grew up in Harrisonburg.

During World War II he served in the Marine Corps in the Pacific, and he participated in combat operations at Okinawa.

After the war he settled in the Washington area and sold insurance, initially with Southland Life Insurance. He retired from Allstate in 1993 after 35 years.

On retiring, he moved from Reston to Madison.

His marriage to Marie Hisey ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Phyllis Livingston Hisey of Madison; one daughter of his first marriage, Cheryl Haralson of Columbia; his mother, Margaret Long of Orange, Va.; four stepsons and one grandson.

David I. Jacobs

Navy Captain

David I. Jacobs, 82, a retired Navy captain who was a veteran of three wars, died of congestive heart failure Aug. 9 at the Commonwealth Care Center in Fairfax.

Capt. Jacobs, a native of Philadelphia and a graduate of Ursinus College in Collegeville, Pa., served 26 years in the Navy, beginning in 1941. He served on a destroyer in the South Pacific during World War II, then left the military after the war to earn an MBA from the Wharton School of Business and Finance at the University of Pennsylvania.

Recalled to active military duty during the Korean War, he served as captain of a destroyer. He served as commodore of a destroyer squadron in Vietnam during the war there. Following his retirement in 1967, he worked for about four years as a consultant for ITT. For about a year in the early '80s, he was an adviser to Saudi Arabia's navy.

Survivors include his wife, Ruth R. Jacobs of Fairfax; and two sons, Randall S. Jacobs of Dale City and David J. Jacobs of Potomac.

Arthur J. Holmaas

Budget Director

Arthur J. Holmaas, 85, who worked for the Agriculture Department for more than 30 years before retiring in the early 1970s as budget director of the consumer marketing service, died of congestive heart failure Aug. 16 at Winchester Medical Center.

Mr. Holmaas lived in Falls Church for 28 years before moving to Mount Jackson, Va., in 1976.

A native of Marsh Grove, Minn., he graduated from what is now Moorhead (Minn.) State University, and received a master's degree in public administration from the University of Minnesota.

He came to Washington in 1940 and served with the Coast Guard during World War II.

He was member of the Lions Club in Mount Jackson.

Survivors include his wife of 58 years, Jean C. Holmaas of Mount Jackson; four children, Julia Holmaas of La Porte, Ind., Andrew Holmaas of Winchester, Janet Holmaas-Hicks of Sterling and Joanne Greene of Harpers Ferry, W.Va.; and a grandson.

Jeanette B. "Jean" Grove


Jeanette B. "Jean" Grove, 74, a nurse who retired in 1992 after 27 years as a vision and hearing technician for Prince George's County public schools, died of pulmonary fibrosis Aug. 13 at a hospital in Knoxville, Tenn.

Mrs. Grove, who lived in Loudon, Tenn., for the past six years, was a Washington native and a cadet in the Army Nurse Corps during World War II. She received a degree from Sibley Memorial Hospital's school of nursing.

A former Bowie resident, she was active in Christian ministries in Prince George's County and elsewhere. She was a member of Wallace Presbyterian Church in Hyattsville, a volunteer in the Young Life of Prince George's County ministry and an organizer in world ministry radio broadcasting stations.

Survivors include her husband, Donald H. Grove Sr. of Loudon; four children, Don Grove Jr. of Silver Spring, Dan Groove of Reston, Dorie Young of Virginia Beach and Debbie Lind of Little Rock, Ark.; and eight grandchildren.

Floyd C. Dutcher

Telecommunications Program Manager

Floyd C. Dutcher, 66, a telecommunications program manager who retired from GTE here in 1995, died of a lung disease Aug. 6 at a hospital in Mesa, Ariz.

Mr. Dutcher was born in Parma, Ohio, and graduated from Youngstown (Ohio) State University. He served in the Army during the Korean War, then worked for a fruit company in Phoenix and for Computer Sciences Corp. in Tehran. He moved to this area in 1974 to work with Contel Federal Systems, which later was acquired by GTE.

A former resident of Fairfax, he moved to Arizona in 1995.

Survivors include his wife, Shirley Dutcher of Mesa; four children, Karen Babounakis of Centreville, Lawrence Dutcher of Tempe, Ariz., Charles Dutcher of Snowflake, Ariz., and William Dutcher of Taylor, Ariz.; and eight grandchildren.

John Francis Knapp

Contracts Negotiation Specialist

John Francis Knapp, 71, a contracts negotiation specialist who retired from E-Systems Inc. in 1990, died of respiratory failure Aug. 5 at Alexandria Hospital. He had cancer and had suffered a heart attack.

Mr. Knapp, a resident of Annandale, was born in Warren, Pa., and graduated from Dartmouth College. He worked for a bank in Buffalo and then did defense contracts negotiating for a firm in State College, Pa., before moving to this area in 1967 to work for Malpar Corp., which later became part of E-Systems.

His avocations included playing the piano, arranging music and participating in singing groups.

His marriage to Mary-Louise Aspinwall ended in divorce, and his second wife, Joan Kemp Thompson, died in 1990.

Survivors include his wife, Leila Keyes Broughton of Annandale; three children of his first marriage, Lucy Knapp Richardson of Harrisburg, Pa., Molly Knapp Gloss of Lake Ridge, John F. Knapp Jr. of Annandale; and three stepchildren, Amy Thompson and Jane Thompson, both of California, and Anthony Thompson of Florida.

Susan Nye Vernon

Scientist & Volunteer

Susan Nye Vernon, 61, a scientist with Amron Corp. in McLean who also had done volunteer work, died of cancer Aug. 14 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia.

Mrs. Vernon, who lived in Annandale, was born in Westfield, N.J., and graduated from Goucher College. She received a master's degree in materials science at Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

She accompanied her husband, retired Army Col. Graham D. Nye, to postings in the United States, Europe and the Soviet Union when he was on active duty. They settled in this area as permanent residents in 1971.

For about four years, Mrs. Nye had worked at Amron, where her job included testing of metals and composite materials.

From 1985 into the early 1990s she was a scientist at the Naval Surface Weapons Center at White Oak. During the 1960s, she worked at Bell Laboratories in New Jersey.

For seven years she had done volunteer work at the Hospice of Northern Virginia. While posted in Moscow, she had organized a group of embassy wives to assist U.S. tourists who were hospitalized in the Soviet Union.

She was a golf and tennis player.

In addition to her husband of 35 years, of Annandale, survivors include two daughters, Terese McCoy of Seattle and Jean Bechtel of Mechanicsburg, Pa.; and three grandchildren.

Nora Joel

White House Aide

Nora Joel, 84, a former White House administrative aide, died Aug. 7 at Holy Cross Rehabilitation and Nursing Center in Burtonsville of complications resulting from a stroke.

Mrs. Joel, who lived in Silver Spring, was born in New York. She moved to the Washington area as a child and graduated from Central High School and American University.

From the Eisenhower administration into the first year of the Carter administration, she was an administrative assistant at the White House.

Her marriage to Kenneth McLean ended in divorce.

Her second husband, Eujean M. Joel Jr., died in 1985, and a daughter of her first marriage, Marian Louise Chatham, died in 1996.

Survivors include two brothers, Harry Gaberman of Annandale and Robert Gaberman of Silver Spring; and four grandchildren.

Harry C. Robinson

Institute Official

Harry C. Robinson, 74, who retired 10 years ago as managing director of the Expanded Shale Clay and Slate Institute, died of lung cancer Aug. 13 at his Bethesda home.

He was a native of Chicago, where he graduated from Chicago Technical College and taught math and engineering. He served in the Army in the South Pacific during World War II and was awarded a Bronze Star.

He worked for the Portland Cement Association and was vice president of Super Concrete Corp. before joining the institute staff in 1977. He was a consultant on the building of Dulles International Airport, the National Library of Medicine, Air and Space Museum and the Metro subway system.

Mr. Robinson was a member of the National Concrete Masonry Association, American Concrete Institute, Construction Specification Institute and American Society of Civil Engineers.

He was a member of St. Jane de Chantal Catholic Church in Bethesda and the Washington Archdiocese's Catholic Committee on Scouting. He was a Boy Scout leader and taught a course on safe boating for the Potomac River Power Squadron. His interests included canoeing and hiking.

Survivors include his wife of 51 years, Mary Lou Robinson of Bethesda; eight children, Harry Charles Robinson Jr. of Olney, William L. Robinson of Bethesda, Mary Ridgway and Ann Hallock, both of Gaithersburg, Dorothy Mahon of Irvington, N.Y., Margaret Farrar of Cambridge, Mass., Elizabeth Reese of Herndon and Jean Robinson of Silver Spring; a brother and 17 grandchildren. Two sons died: John Robinson in 1953 and Paul Robinson in 1988.