The Baptist Senior Adult Care Centers in Brentwood, Bowie and Greenbelt need volunteers 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday to be "friendly visitors," assist with lunch, lead an arts and crafts group and assist with special events. For more information, call Daryl Pennington at 202-626-5782.

The Children's Rights Council seeks volunteer office assistants to answer phones, fill mail orders and help with data entry, filing, copying and faxing. For more information, call David Levy at 202-547-6227.

The Black Women's Council is sponsoring the Prince George's County HIV/AIDS Walk-a-Thon on Sept. 18. Registration is at 7:30 a.m., and the walk begins at 9 a.m. at Jack Kent Cooke Stadium. To volunteer or register for the walk, call 301-808-0786.

Jwanzaa Youth Partnership seeks 25 volunteers, age 21 or older, to mentor Largo High School students. On-the-job training will be provided. For more information or to volunteer, call Clarence Godfrey at 301-805-8041.

Habitat for Humanity, an organization that builds housing for low-income families, seeks a volunteer office assistant to work a few hours a week. For more information, call Barbara Clancy at 301-779-1912.

The House of Ruth Domestic Violence Legal Clinic seeks outreach program and courthouse volunteers. For more information, call Marybeth Ayres at 301-952-4303.

The Family Crisis Center needs volunteers to provide therapeutic child care at a domestic violence agency. For more information, call Paula Thomas at 301-933-9350, Ext. 20.

Lutheran Social Services of the National Capital Area seeks volunteers to tutor foster children and to mentor newly arrived refugee families. On-call volunteers, especially those with trucks and vans, also are needed to help pick up and move furniture for its AIDS and refugee programs. For more information, call Kathy Hadzibarjric at 202-723-3000, Ext. 203.

GUIDE Family Support Center needs computer-literate volunteers to teach beginning computer skills to young parents. In addition, they need a receptionist and child-care assistants. For more information, call Beatrice Lumpkin at 301-324-9705.

The Retired Volunteer Service Corps of the University of Maryland at College Park seeks mature men and women to volunteer in various departments at the university. Volunteers are needed to work in the career center, in the concert office, with English editing for international graduate students, with the learning assistance service, and in the writing and art centers. For more information, call Jed Collard at 301-226-4750.

International Student Exchange, a nonprofit dedicated to the youth of the world, seeks host families for foreign exchange students for the 1999-2000 academic year. Students will come from a number of countries, are between the ages of 15 and 18, are carefully screened for suitability, bring their own spending money and are covered by health insurance. In addition, all students speak English. For more information, call Monica Player at 301-809-6874 or Sue Doyle at 1-888-820-HOST.

If you would like to volunteer, please contact the agencies directly. If you would like to submit a notice for Volunteers, fax to 301-952-1397, e-mail to or write to Volunteers, Prince George's Extra, The Washington Post, 14402 Old Mill Rd., Suite 201, Upper Marlboro, Md. 20772.