Jennie Ann Burgess

Case Worker

Jennie Ann Burgess, 39, who had been a caseworker in the Prince George's County Office of Child Support Enforcement, died of cancer Aug. 22 at Doctors Community Hospital in Lanham. She lived in Bowie.

Mrs. Burgess, who was born in Cheverly, was a graduate of High Point High School in Beltsville and the University of Maryland. She became a clerk in the Prince George's permits office in 1989 and retired as a caseworker in 1995.

She was a member of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Catholic Church in Crofton. Her hobbies included gardening, shell collecting and music.

Survivors include her husband, Russell, whom she married in 1987 and who lives in Bowie; her parents, Janet and Raymond Doetsch of Beltsville; a sister, Karen Robinson of Silver Spring; and a brother, Paul Doetsch of Atlanta.

Edward A. Evans

Railroad Man

Edward A. Evans, 81, a retiree of the Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac Railroad, died of pneumonia and kidney failure Aug. 13 at Alexandria Hospital.

Mr. Evans, who lived in Washington, was born in Alexandria and was a member of the first graduating class at George Washington High School in 1936. He began his career with the Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac Railroad in 1940. During World War II, he served in an Army railway operations unit in Europe.

After the war he returned to the railroad, where he was a control tower operator at the Potomac Yards in Alexandria. He retired in 1979.

He was active in the Logan Circle Citizens Association and the Blagden Alley Civic Association.

Survivors include a sister, Nancy Wolfford of Alexandria.

A. Joseph Giarrusso

Personnel Specialist

A. Joseph Giarrusso, 71, a Defense Department civilian employee for 35 years before retiring in 1982 from the Pentagon where he was an Air Force personnel specialist, died of congestive heart failure Aug. 11 at Inova Fairfax Hospital. He lived in Burke.

Mr. Giarrusso transfered to the Washington area from his native Syracuse, N.Y., two years ago. Over the years, he also had worked in Thailand during the Vietnam War and had worked for the Aerospace Defense Command.

He was on active Navy duty from 1945 to 1947. This included World War II service in the Pacific.

He was a member of Nativity Catholic Church in Burke and the Springfield Country Club.

Survivors include his wife, Marion, of Burke; three brothers; and three sisters.

Judith S. Johnson

Finance Manager

Judith Stenger Johnson, 59, who for the past two years had served as finance manager of the National Association of State Mental Health Program Directors in Alexandria, died of lung cancer July 28 at Inova Mount Vernon Hospital. She lived in Alexandria.

Before becoming the association's finance manager, she had held similar posts with Wider Opportunities for Women in the mid-1970s and 1980s, and for Earth Share in the 1980s and 1990s.

Mrs. Johnson, who came to the Washington area 38 years ago, was a native of Tulsa. She was a political science graduate of Middlebury College.

She had been a member of the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club and Clan Donald USA.

Survivors include her husband, Howard L., and children, Paul A. and Lorna E. Johnson, all of Alexandria.

Stanley D. Suyat

Energy Official

Stanley D. Suyat, 55, an Energy Department official who had held federal posts in Washington from 1993 until returning to his native Honolulu in April, died of lung cancer July 25 at a hospice in Honolulu.

Mr. Suyat was named civil rights director at the Energy Department in 1997. Before that, he had served the Clinton administration as White House liaison and chief of staff of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and as associate director for management of the Peace Corps.

He came to Washington from Honolulu, where he had practiced law for seven years. Before that, he had worked for the city and county of Honolulu as a lawyer and had served the state of Hawaii as deputy taxation director and consumer protection director.

Mr. Suyat was a graduate of the University of Washington and Fordham University law school. Between his college and law school years, he had served as a Peace Corps volunteer in the Philippines.

Survivors include his wife, Linda, and a son, Jonathan, both of Honolulu; a daughter, Stacey Suyat of Falls Church; his parents; and a brother.

Marie Weller

Financial Manager

Marie Weller, 77, a retired Department of Transportation financial manager, died Aug. 21 at Randolph Hills Nursing Home in Silver Spring. She had pneumonia and had suffered several strokes.

Mrs. Weller was born in Petersburg, Va., and grew up in Westchester County, N.Y., where she became an accomplished dancer. She moved to the Washington area in the early 1940s and later, as an avocation, taught tap dancing at the Helen Moore School of Dance in District Heights.

In 1943 she married Warren Clifford Weller, a sailor whom she met at a USO dance. After World War II they lived in Wisconsin where he attended college, then returned to this area in 1950. He died in 1995.

From 1950 until she retired in 1984, Mrs. Weller worked at the Department of Transportation and predecessor agencies. She had received Meritorious Service Awards from the Military Air Transport Service and the Federal Aviation Administration.

A former resident of Clinton, she moved to Lake Gaston, N.C., in 1986.

Survivors include two daughters, Jacqueline Taylor of Great Falls and Christine Weller of Silver Spring; a sister; a granddaughter; and three great-grandchildren.

Anne Waters Lyddane

Court Clerk

Anne Waters Lyddane, 90, retired deputy court clerk for the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, died of respiratory failure Aug. 22 at the Washington Hospice.

Ms. Lyddane was a fifth-generation Washingtonian and a lifelong resident of the city. She graduated from Holy Trinity High School and Temple Business School.

She retired from the U.S. District Court in the 1970s after more than 20 years of service. Earlier she had been a secretary at the Army/Navy Journal and the Social Science Research Council.

She was a member of the National Trust for Historic Preservation and a docent at Woodrow Wilson House, Decatur House and the Octagon House.

Ms. Lyddane was a member of the Ladies Board of Georgetown University Hospital, and she did volunteer work in the hospital's neonatal unit. She also was active in the Seton Guild of St. Ann's Infant and Maternity Home in Hyattsville, and she was a member of Holy Trinity Catholic Church in Washington, the John Carroll Society and the Christ Child Society.

Survivors include a brother, Eugene Thomas Lyddane, and a sister, Mary Catherine Lyddane, both of Washington.

John E. Cary

Driver Instructor

John E. Cary, 65, a Fairfax County school bus driver instructor who was active in church groups, died of liver cancer Aug. 20 at his home in Alexandria.

Mr. Cary went to work for Fairfax Schools as a bus driver in 1989 and later was promoted to driver instructor. Before that, he had worked at Fort Belvoir from 1957 to 1989, where he rose from commissary produce manager to store manager.

He had been a member of Russell Temple Christian Methodist Episcopal Church in Alexandria since 1955. Over the years, his church posts included those of Sunday school superintendent, vacation Bible school director, lay leader and steward board chairman.

He also had been a member of the male chorus and the senior choir and had served as church van driver. He represented his church as a delegate to district, annual and general conferences.

Mr. Cary, a native of Newport News, served in the Marine Corps before coming to the Washington area in 1955. He spent the next two years working for Eastern Airlines as a ground attendant.

Survivors include his wife, the former Doris Brown, a son, Jonathan L., and a daughter, Renee Carr, all of Alexandria; two brothers; two sisters; and three grandsons.

Charles S. Denny


Charles S. Denny, 87, a geologist who retired in 1978 after 34 years with the U.S. Geological Survey, died of kidney failure Aug. 21 at a hospital in New London, N.H. He moved in 1983 from Chevy Chase to New London, where he had been a summer resident since childhood.

Mr. Denny was a native of Brookline, Mass., and a graduate of Harvard University. He received a master's degree from Yale University and a doctorate from Harvard, both in geology.

He taught the subject at Dartmouth College and Wesleyan University early in his career.

He was a fellow of the Geological Society of America, which awarded him its Kirk Bryan Award for geomorphology, and a member of the Cosmos Club, All Saints Episcopal Church in Chevy Chase and the Washington Geological Society.

Survivors include his wife of 61 years, Ann Mason Hodges Denny of New London; three daughters, Ann Solodar of University City, Mo., Elizabeth Warner of Worthington, Ohio, and Patricia Goodlin of New London; a sister; seven grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

Carroll E. Morgan

Bell Atlantic

Carroll E. Morgan, 74, who retired in 1985 as vice president of operations and network systems for Bell Atlantic, died of cancer Aug. 13 at the Case House Hospice in Derwood. He lived in Potomac.

Mr. Morgan was born in Frederick and raised in Baltimore. He was a graduate of Johns Hopkins University. He served as a Navy pilot in the Atlantic during World War II.

He began his career in 1942 as a central office repairman with Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co. He was later chief engineer for C&P in Washington and Maryland. He was named vice president in 1981.

Mr. Morgan's interests included photography and the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal. His photographs of the canal, donated to the National Park Service, are used for park orientation programs and as postcards for the Park Service.

He was a member of Bethesda Country Club and the National Academy of Sciences.

Survivors include his wife, Loretta Morgan of Potomac; two children, Brett R. Morgan of Gaithersburg and Dawn Praske of Laytonsville; a sister; and five grandchildren.

Richard Conner Keagy Sr.

Stars & Stripes Executive

Richard Conner Keagy Sr., 82, former vice president and general manager of Stars and Stripes armed forces newspaper, died of congestive heart failure Aug. 21 at the home of a friend, Kay Doyle, in North Bethesda.

Mr. Keagy, who lived in Fort Washington, was born in Waynesboro, Pa. He served in the Army during World War II in a unit that helped downed U.S. airmen exit the Soviet Union. He settled in Washington after the war and graduated from Benjamin Franklin University.

He joined Stars and Stripes as an accountant in 1952 and retired in 1993 as vice president and general manager.

Mr. Keagy was a musician who played alto saxophone and clarinet. As a young man, he led his own band.

His wife, Joann Keagy, died in 1989.

Survivors include two sons, Richard C. Keagy Jr. of Fort Washington and Gary Keagy of Amissville, Va.; a brother, Gerald Keagy of Culpeper; a sister, Ruthanna Walker of Colonial Beach, Va.; and a grandchild.

Elizabeth-Laing Adcock

Church Member

Elizabeth-Laing Adcock, 103, a member of National Presbyterian Church in Washington, died of cardiac arrest Aug. 19 at Washington Adventist Hospital. She lived at the Potomac Valley Nursing Home in Rockville.

She was a native of Scotland who lived in Birmingham, Ala., from 1943 to 1953. She was a secretary there with Southern Railway.

Her husband, Lowell Clifton Adcock, died in 1976. There are no immediate survivors.