Edward A. Baker, 87, who had operated his own Washington building and restoration business for 35 years before retiring in 1981 as board chairman, died of congestive heart failure Aug. 24 at a health care facility in Brandon, Fla. He lived in Plant City, Fla.
Mr. Baker, who founded the E.A. Baker Co. in 1946, was a past president of the Washington metropolitan chapter of the Associated Builders and Contractors.
He also had served on the organization's national board and was a past national treasurer.
Over the years, his company had done construction and restoration work for some of the area's most prominent families, had built or renovated more than 80 area places of worship, and had done work for a dozen embassies in Washington.
He also had done work for corporate headquarters and commercial buildings.
The company had been involved in work for area cultural institutions, including the National Gallery, the Phillips Collection, Dumbarton Oaks and the National Arboretum.
He had directed projects at the National Cathedral, Landon, St. Albans and Sidwell Friends schools, as well as Howard and Georgetown universities.
Mr. Baker, a Washington native, was a graduate of McKinley Technical High School and an engineering graduate of George Washington University. He served as a Navy officer in the Pacific during World War II.
Mr. Baker, whose company had ceased operation in 1996, moved to Florida from Silver Spring in 1980.
While living in the Washington area, he had been a member of St. Luke's Lutheran Church in Silver Spring and the Optimists, Rotary and Manor Country clubs.
His wife of 50 years, the former Marion Travland, died in 1990. Survivors include three daughters, Janice Baker of Plant City and Joan R. Fitzgerald and Sandra L. Baker, both of Silver Spring; a brother, Jack, and two sisters, Elizabeth Ryan and Virginia Gist, all of Silver Spring; four grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.