More than a year after he and his son were injured in an auto crash on Route 234, Supervisor Edgar S. Wilbourn III filed a $200,000 lawsuit last week against the driver of a large truck that jackknifed and knocked his car off the road.

Wilbourn (R-Gainesville) filed the lawsuit Friday in Prince William County Circuit Court, claiming the operator of the truck was driving recklessly before the truck slammed into Wilbourn's Volvo, demolishing it. Wilbourn and his adult son, Michael, were injured and treated at Prince William Hospital.

John Foote, a Manassas lawyer with Hazel and Thomas, the firm representing Wilbourn, said the lawsuit is primarily a function of completing insurance claims. He said Wilbourn is asking for compensation to cover medical bills for a nagging knee injury and for treatment of a hearing disorder that doctors have linked to the crash. Foote said the lawsuit also asks for compensation for ongoing "pain and suffering."

Named in the lawsuit are Marvin Ray Rogers Jr., 38, of Manassas Park, who was driving the truck, and Jones Trucking of Nokesville, where Rogers worked at the time of the crash. Rogers could not be reached for comment. Roger Jones, owner of Jones Trucking, did not return telephone calls seeking comment.

Wilbourn's 1995 Volvo sedan was hit as he was traveling north on Route 234 inside the Manassas Battlefield National Park near Lee Highway around 4 p.m. on May 1, 1998. Rogers allegedly swerved on wet pavement as he was heading south on Route 234, and police said his truck jackknifed across the road and slammed into Wilbourn's car.

Wilbourn, who was not wearing a seat belt at the time, Wilbourn suffered minor injuries. He claims the car's air bags, which had just been repaired, saved his life. His son, Michael, was wearing a seat belt.

"We had just picked the car up at the shop," Wilbourn said. "We hadn't had the car more than 30 minutes. We were very fortunate."

Rogers was charged with reckless driving and paid a $75 fine in June 1998, according to court records.

The crash was near the site where Wilbourn's daughter was killed in a car wreck several years ago.