Margaret Lois McCurley Edmundson


Margaret Lois McCurley Edmundson, 84, who retired in 1980 after 10 years as an acquisition librarian assistant for the McKeldin Library at the University of Maryland, died of kidney cancer Aug. 29 at the Goodwin House West retirement community in Falls Church.

Mrs. Edmundson, who lived at Goodwin House West for the last three years, had spent most of her life in Adelphi, where she was active in the Adlephi Homemakers Club and Hillandale Baptist Church.

Professionally, she was a government clerk, teacher and librarian. In the 1930s, she worked in Newberg, Ore., as a speech and drama instructor at what was then Pacific College and as an English high school teacher.

She came to Washington during World War II to work as a government clerk and later joined the Prince George's County public school system as a home-tutor for sick children. She was a library assistant for the Engineering Library at the University of Maryland from 1966 to 1970.

She was born in Bokchito, Okla., and grew up in Arkansas, where she played on a state champion high school basketball team. She graduated from Friends University in Wichita, Kan., and received a master's degree in library science from the University of Maryland.

Survivors include her husband, Frederick C. Edmundson of Falls Church; three children, Margaret E. Gurd of Gibsonville, N.C., David F. Edmundson of Takoma Park and Julia A. Randle of Arlington; a brother, W. Howard McCurley of University Park; a sister, Lucile Snyder of Silver Spring, Fla.; and six grandchildren. Her daughter Priscilla A. Edmundson died in 1950.

H. Dwayne Stevenson


H. Dwayne Stevenson, 67, a former Washington area businessman who had been an official of the Peace Corps, died Aug. 24 of injuries suffered when the car he was driving went off the road and rolled over several times near his home in Altamont, Utah.

Mr. Stevenson, a former resident of McLean, was born in Mountain Home, Utah, and graduated from Brigham Young University. In 1960, he was executive director of the Kennedy-Johnson presidential campaign for Utah. After Kennedy's election, Peace Corps director Sargent Shriver hired Mr. Stevenson for the Peace Corps, where his work included the School-to-School program, which built and established schools in areas of need around the world. In the 1970s, Mr. Stevenson was president of Research Homes of America, a Virginia-based home development company.

In the 1980s, he founded Marina Ventures International, a company that built marinas around the world.

From 1993 to 1997, Mr. Stevenson was president of the missionary organization of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Durban, South Africa. On returning to the United States, he was appointed to head the Altamont region of the church.

In Utah, he was in the process of developing an elk ranch.

Survivors include his wife, Carolyn Stevenson of Altamont; seven children, Scott Stevenson of Naperville, Ill., Sherree Sheide of Vienna, David Stevenson of Wilmington, N.C., Tom Stevenson, Margery Jorgensen, Brad Stevenson and Patrick Stevenson, all of Utah; his mother, Violet Stevenson Cluff of Utah; and 21 grandchildren.

William Johnson Jr.

D.C. Fire Inspector

William Johnson Jr., 60, a Washington resident and retired D.C. fire inspector, was killed Aug. 12 in a fire at his parents' home in Montgomery, Ala.

Mr. Johnson's mother, Carrie Johnson, also died in the fire, and his father, William Sr., suffered minor injuries. The cause of the fire and the causes of death are under investigation, but foul play is not suspected, according to an official of the Montgomery Fire Department.

The younger Mr. Johnson was a Montgomery native who came to Washington after serving in the Army during the Korean War. He joined the D.C. Fire Department in 1966 and served several years with Truck Company No. 11 at Georgia and Missouri avenues NW.

He was later promoted to the fire prevention division and named a fire inspector. After his retirement in 1990, he remained active in the International Association of Black Professional Fire Fighters. He also was a Mason, a founding member of the Progressive Firefighters Association and a member of Holy Comforter-St. Cyprian Catholic Church, both in Washington.

In addition to his father, survivors include a daughter, Jaclyn Jones of Silver Spring; three sisters; and a brother.

Irwin Manning Brown Jr.

Naval Aviator and Engineer

Irwin Manning Brown Jr., 78, a naval aviator and aeronautical engineer who retired from military service as a lieutenant commander, died of cancer Aug. 25 at his home in Alexandria.

Cmdr. Brown served 28 years in the Navy before his 1966 retirement, and his career included duty in Tennessee, Illinois, Norfolk and Ottawa. He settled in the Washington area in 1964.

After retiring from active Navy duty he was a civilian aeronautical engineer with the Naval Sea Systems Command and the Naval Air Systems Command. He retired from civilian service in 1989.

Cmdr. Brown was born in Baltimore and graduated from the University of Maryland, where he was on the lacrosse team.

His avocations included skiing, sailing and golfing. He was a member of the American Legion, the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the Annapolis Yacht Club and the Mount Vernon Yacht Club.

Survivors include his wife of 49 years, Constance W. Brown of Alexandria; three children, Constance W. Brown of Bar Harbor, Maine, Bonnie B. Burlage of Bridgewater Corners, Vt. and George A.M. Brown Sr. of Alexandria; and four grandchildren.

Rudolph 'Rudy' Simon

Army Sergeant

Rudolph "Rudy" Simon, 75, a retired Army sergeant and World War II veteran who later had a real estate company, died Aug. 27 at Inova Alexandria Hospital. He had suffered a stroke.

Mr. Simon had lived in Woodbridge for many years before moving to Falls Church this year. He was born in Berlin and came to the United States in 1932. He grew up in New York and Los Angeles.

In 1941, he enlisted in the Army. During World War II, he served with the old Army Air Corps in the China-Burma-India theater. In the postwar years, he was assigned to military intelligence. He served in Austria and Germany as well as at various posts in the United States. He was stationed in Washington when he retired in 1962 with the rank of sergeant first class.

From 1962 to 1972, Mr. Simon operated the Simon Real Estate company. He later had a video production business, which he continued until his death.

He was a volunteer at Cable Channel 10.

Survivors include his wife, Trudy Simon of Falls Church; a daughter, Claudia Caridi of Fairfax Station; and two grandchildren.