Ever wonder about what's being built -- or what a developer proposes to build -- on the vacant land around the corner? This feature is intended to provide an easy way for you to learn about planned development throughout St. Mary's County.
Using information provided by the St. Mary's County Department of Planning and Zoning, and the Leonardtown Planning and Zoning Commission, Southern Maryland Extra gives you a monthly update on planned subdivisions, office buildings, shopping centers and other development. The map and chart identify planned projects that were processed by officials in August.
The status of the projects is described in three categories:
Projects Proposed, Preliminary Plans/Site Plans/Concept Plans Proposed are residential, commercial or industrial projects submitted for approval. Public hearings are held before any action by the Planning Commission.
Projects Approved, Preliminary Plans/Site Plans Approved are residential, commercial or industrial projects approved by the Planning Commission for development of land.
Building Permits allow a property owner to begin clearing or grading land for construction.
CHARLOTTE HALL AREA
1. FIRST NATIONAL BANK OF ST. MARY'S, Route 5 and Triangle Drive. A concept development site plan for construction of a 2,925-square-foot bank on 1.27 acres.
2. SIMMONS COMMERCIAL, Clarkes Landing and Mervell Dean roads. A concept development site plan for an 8,004-square-foot office and warehouse on one acre.
3. CHICK-FIL-A RESTAURANT, south side of Route 235, east of Route 4. A standard site plan for construction of a 4,211-square-foot restaurant on 1.44 acres.
4. FRIENDLY'S AT FIRST COLONY CENTER, south side of Route 235, east of Route 4. A concept development plan for a Friendly's restaurant on 1.2 acres.
5. McINTOSH SUBDIVISION, SECTION I, west side of McIntosh Road, southwest of Route 235. A concept plan and preliminary approval to subdivide 792.83 acres into five lots for single-family houses.
6. TUDOR HALL VILLAGE, Breton Bay waterfront. A concept development site plan for construction of 593 housing units (a mix of single-family houses and town houses), a conference center, a 255-room hotel and an 18-hole golf course on 393 acres.
LEXINGTON PARK AREA
7. LOCUST GLEN, east side of Route 237, south of Hewitt Road. Approval to subdivide 4.5724 acres into lots for eight single-family houses.
8. LEONARDTOWN HIGH SCHOOL ADDITION, Point Lookout Road south of intersection with Route 244. A permit for renovation to the existing school building and construction of an addition on 85.10 acres.
LEXINGTON PARK AREA
9. EXTENDED STAY AMERICA HOTEL, Route 235 near base gate and Pegg Road. A permit for construction of a 98-unit hotel, restaurants and office space on 25.77 acres.
10. LEXINGTON PARK CHURCH OF CHRIST, 20850 Langley Rd. A permit for construction of a church and educational facility on 14.03 acres.
11. WESTBURY TOWNHOUSES, Elf and Pegg roads. Permits for construction of six two-story town houses.