Metrobus Passenger Killed in SE

An unidentified man was shot and killed last night while riding on a Metrobus in the Barnaby Terrace area of Southeast Washington, officials said.

The shot apparently was fired from outside the bus, and struck the man as he rested an arm on the frame of an open window, according to a Metro spokeswoman. The man was taken by ambulance to D.C. General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, D.C. police said.

The incident occurred about 7:30 p.m. as the A2 bus was at Wheeler Road and Barnaby Terrace on its way to the Anacostia Metro station.

After hearing gunshots, the driver of the bus asked if any of the passengers had been injured.

The bus stopped a half-mile away at Fourth Street and Mississippi Avenue SE and the man was taken to the hospital from there.

Gang Member Sentenced in 1996 Ambush

Derrick Miller, a Northwest Washington gang member, was sentenced in D.C. Superior Court yesterday to 30 to 90 years in prison in a 1996 ambush that left four people wounded, including Miller.

Judge Mary Ellen Abrecht sentenced Miller on four counts of assault with intent to kill and other charges. Miller, 29, formerly of the 1800 block of New Hampshire Avenue NW, is unlikely to be eligible for parole before 2025.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Cynthia G. Wright said Miller, as a member of the 17th and Euclid Street Crew, retaliated against a rival gang after two Euclid crew members were stabbed in a nightclub fight.

After Miller and others staged a series of ambush shootings, Wright said, they dressed in black hoods Oct. 30, 1996, and fired at least 27 shots in the 3500 block of Holmead Place NW.

Two people were shot in the ambush, Wright said. When police arrived, Officer Miguel Montanez shot Miller and another crew member, Wright said.

Fifteen other crew members have been convicted of crimes during a two-year investigation.


Treatment Ordered in 2 Apartment Arsons

A 24-year-old Springfield woman was ordered to undergo psychiatric treatment yesterday as part of her probation for setting fire to two apartments in a Silver Spring high-rise in November.

Belkys J. Ramos was sentenced to 20 years in prison after she pleaded guilty to two counts of first-degree arson. But Montgomery County Circuit Court Judge Vincent E. Ferretti Jr. suspended all of the prison sentence, which Ramos would serve only if she violates the conditions of her five years of probation.

Ramos pleaded guilty to setting fire to two apartments in the Warwick Apartments high-rise in the 1100 block of University Boulevard West. Her parents had moved to a second apartment after being burned out of their first apartment in the same building two weeks earlier.

Ferretti said he found that Ramos set the fires when she was depressed over personal relationships. Her attorneys, Rene Sandler and Stephen Mercer, argued against a prison sentence. They said that Ramos was found to suffer from borderline personality disorder and depression but that she was not found to be an impulsive fire-starter.