The head men's basketball coach for St. Mary's College was arrested late Monday and charged with rape and kidnapping after he allegedly abducted a 22-year-old woman, raped her and held her over the weekend at his St. Inigoes apartment, the St. Mary's County sheriff's office said yesterday.

Coatlin Othell Wilson, 38, was charged with kidnapping, false imprisonment, first-degree rape, first- and second-degree assault and first-degree sex offense, authorities said.

Wilson, a former guard for the University of Virginia who later played for the Sacramento Kings and the Golden State Warriors, is being held at the St. Mary's Detention Center without bond.

A college official said last night Wilson, who has been employed at the college since 1998, had been placed on administrative leave, but the official could not say whether the leave was paid or unpaid. St. Mary's College public relations officials provided few details about Wilson's background and told Bryan Snyder, the school's sports information officer, to release nothing about the coach to the media.

Wilson's attorney, David Densford, did not return telephone calls left on his work telephone.

St. Mary's County Sheriff's Lt. John Horne said Wilson traveled from his St. Mary's County home to Fairfax County in Virginia to meet with the victim for a dinner date Friday evening. When the woman got in the car, Horne said, Wilson began driving south.

"Each time, they came to a stoplight, he grabbed her arm and told her not to do anything stupid," Horne said. Wilson took the victim to his apartment in St. Inigoes, in the southernmost part of the county, where he raped and "physically assaulted" the woman, authorities said.

Horne said Wilson allegedly detained the victim against her will and allegedly hinted that he had a knife throughout Saturday and into Sunday morning.

"He told her that if she left, he would kill her," Horne said. He said the woman did not try to escape. "She is very, very afraid of this guy," Horne said.

Wilson then allegedly drove the victim back to Fairfax County on Sunday, dropped her off at her home and threatened to kill her if she told anyone what had happened over the weekend, Horne said. The victim then contacted police and was examined by doctors at a hospital in Fairfax County.

Wilson graduated from Gar-Field High School in Dale City in 1980.

Wilson, known by his middle name, Othell, ran the offense as a guard on the University of Virginia teams that made it to the Final Four in the 1981 and 1984 national collegiate championship tournaments. But he did not graduate from the university.

Before joining St. Mary's as an assistant coach in 1998, Wilson was a graduate assistant at Virginia. He was promoted to head coach for St. Mary's in August.

Staff writers Angie Watts and Jessie Mangaliman contributed to this report.