The rescue squad that rushed through the gates of a complex of million dollar-plus condominiums in Chevy Chase three years ago found Leonard W. Kraisel dazed, covered in dried blood and waiting in the foyer of his posh home.

Kraisel had survived having a bullet fired into the back of his head by a man to whom he had offered shelter in exchange for sex. Now 58, Kraisel was in a Montgomery County courtroom yesterday as his attacker was sentenced for the assault.

Michael Kenneth Greenlees, 24, received a 50-year sentence, with all but 15 years suspended, and five years of probation.

Greenlees was convicted of attempted second-degree murder and robbery with a dangerous weapon in April after a five-day trial in which jurors heard that a group of drifters and petty criminals who called themselves "The Acolytes of Satan" came to be regular visitors to Kraisel's home.

"I feel I cannot roll the dice on you. . . . You do have the characteristics of a sociopath and . . . a lack of a moral code and a lack of values," Circuit Court Judge Martha G. Kavanaugh said. "You have lied considerably. I think you are a lot brighter than you pretend to be."

Greenlees stood before her wearing wire-rim glasses and a black shirt, his dark hair slicked back. His attorney, Barbara R. Graham, said she probably will appeal the sentence. She had argued for leniency because Greenlees was a first-time offender and contended he was a functional illiterate with a low IQ and a rocky childhood.

"I do apologize for everything I've done and for all the trouble I've caused," Greenlees said. He was described in court documents as having been raised by a mother and stepfather who abused drugs and alcohol.

"I had hoped he would serve the maximum time possible," Kraisel said afterward.

Kraisel said he had been in property management before the Sept. 18, 1996, incident, which required two months of hospitalization and left him with disabling dizziness, depression, imbalance and memory loss, according to documents filed with the court.

According to Graham, Kraisel met Greenlees at a concert near the Bethesda Metro station. They developed a relationship in which Kraisel gave the younger man presents and took him bowling, boating and to the Renaissance fair, according to documents on file in the case.

Kraisel eventually had sexual relations with Greenlees and others in a circle of friends whom Greenlees had acquired at a county school for troubled youths. The group included a man with a disability that required him to walk with crutches, a woman with cerebral palsy and another man who is emotionally disturbed. The group frequently came to Kraisel's condo and drank beer and played pool, according to letters from Kraisel to the prosecutors on file with the court.

Kraisel said that in September 1996, he agreed that Greenlees could stay with him in return for sex, according to court documents. On the evening of the assault, Kraisel woke up alone in his condo with a headache, initially unaware of the bullet wound in his head. His wallet was missing. He called the rescue squad, which took him to Suburban Hospital.

According to charging documents, Greenlees was identified as the triggerman by other members of the group of friends, who participated in purchasing items with a credit card stolen from Kraisel.