Georgia Louise Harris Brown


Georgia Louise Harris Brown, 81, an architect who spent most of her professional career in Brazil, where she designed high-profile projects for American companies, died of cancer Sept. 21 at the Washington Home.

Mrs. Brown retired in 1995 and settled in Washington, where she was a member of St. Luke's Episcopal Church and a volunteer youth mentor.

She was born in Topeka, Kan. In 1944, she became the first African American woman to receive an architecture degree from the University of Kansas. She was licensed as an architect in Illinois and practiced in Chicago until 1953.

She subsequently moved to Brazil and joined the staff of the Charles Bosworth Co. She coordinated the remodeling and alteration of Citibank of New York's Sao Paulo offices. She then established Escandia Ltd., a decoration and furnishing company in Sao Paulo, and became its principal partner and manager.

For the next four decades, Mrs. Brown was designer, engineer and construction manager in Brazil for such projects as Ford Motor Co.'s foundry, office and restaurant complex; the Pfizer Pharmaceutical Corp.'s facility in Guarulhos; a Jeep plant in San Bernardo; a shipping facility for Siemens; several buildings for Kodak; and an airport and factories for Krupp of Germany.

She also designed and supervised construction of private residences for top Brazilian government officials.

Her marriage to James Arthur Brown ended in divorce.

Survivors include two children, Georgia Louise "Pattie" Brown Junqueira of Sao Paulo and James Arthur Brown of Laurel; two brothers, Bryant Glenn Harris and Howard King Harris of Washington; one sister, Dorothy Wesley Harris Woodson of Topeka; and two granddaughters.

D'Ann Sue Denton Henderson


D'Ann Sue Denton Henderson, 42, an Annandale homemaker who volunteered with her husband's ministry to feed the poor, died of colon cancer Sept. 1 at her home.

Mrs. Henderson, a member of Evangelical Free Church in Annandale and the Christian Assembly in Dunn Loring, was also active in the Republican Party. She served as a member of the Fairfax County Republican Committee and did volunteer work for local and state political campaigns.

For the last 20 years, she assisted her husband, A. David Henderson, with Jesus House, a ministry that distributes donated food to soup kitchens in the District.

She was born in Coral Gables, Fla. As the daughter of an Air Force officer, she grew up in a number of cities before settling in Annandale in 1967.

She graduated from Thomas Jefferson High School in Annandale and Northern Virginia Community College in 1979.

She also attended Marymount College.

In addition to her husband, survivors include their four sons, Matthew, Oliver, Irving and Joshua, all of Annandale; and her father, Irving L. Denton of Annandale.

Aristotle Angelos Bacas


Aristotle Angelos Bacas, 70, a retired restaurant owner and manager, died of cancer Sept. 27 at his home in Chevy Chase.

Mr. Bacas formerly owned the P.O. Visible Lunch on North Capitol Street and the Hickory Chick restaurant in Arlington. He retired as manager of Ziggy's Deli & Carryout on 18th Street NW in the 1980s.

He was a native of Washington and a graduate of Roosevelt High School and the Lewis Hotel Training School.

He also attended Montgomery College.

Mr. Bacas served in the Army during the Korean War. He was manager of draft beer sales for American Sales Co. in Washington from 1965 to 1972 and also had his own restaurant equipment servicing company.

He was commander of a Greek-American American Legion post, a Mason and a member of St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Washington. His interests included gardening.

Survivors include his wife of 41 years, Katherine Perros Bacas of Chevy Chase; three children, Deborah Berch of Germantown, Angelos A. Bacas of Gaithersburg and Soterios Bacas of Barnesville; a brother, Homer Bacas of Fairfax; and six grandsons.

Verginia Dolores Ewertz

Fashion Consultant

Verginia Dolores Ewertz, 91, a model and fashion consultant, died of kidney ailments Sept. 27 at Kensington Mariner nursing facility.

Mrs. Ewertz was born in Mexico City, where her grandfather was the Canadian ambassador. She grew up in Mexico. As a young woman, she was a stage actress in Mexico and the United States.

She had lived in North and South America and Europe, where she accompanied her husband, Roy Ewertz Sr., on business assignments. They settled in Washington in the late 1940s. He died in 1955.

Mrs. Ewertz was a fashion consultant to first ladies Jacqueline Kennedy and Patricia Nixon. She was a consultant, buyer and model for fashion houses. She was the first Maxwell House Girl model and in that capacity appeared in photographs for such magazines as Life and Look.

Survivors include a son, Roy Ewertz Jr. of Florida, and five grandchildren.