Ever wonder about what's being built -- or what a developer proposes to build -- on the vacant land around the corner? This feature is intended to provide an easy way for you to learn about planned development throughout Calvert County.
Using information provided by the Calvert County Department of Planning and Zoning and incorporated towns, Southern Maryland Extra gives you a monthly update on planned subdivisions, office buildings, shopping centers and other development. The map and chart identify planned projects, by areas, that were processed by officials in August.
The status of the projects is described in three categories:
Projects Proposed, Preliminary Plans/Site Plans/Concept Plans Proposed are residential, commercial or industrial projects submitted for approval. Public meetings are held before any action by the Planning Commission.
Projects Approved, Preliminary Plans/Site Plans/Final Plats Approved are residential, commercial or industrial projects approved by the Planning Commission for development of land.
Zoning Permits allow a property owner to begin clearing or grading land for construction.
PRINCE FREDERICK AREA
1. CITGO SERVICE STATION, Hallowing Point Road, south of intersection with J.W. Williams Road. A proposed addition of 1,389 square feet for two service bays and convenience store expansion for a total of 5,866 on two acres.
2. GOTT OIL COMPANY, Calvert Country Industrial Park, Bugeye Square. A proposed truck service bay to be added to an existing building for a new total of 15,256 square feet.
3. ST. JOHN VIANNEY CHURCH, Main Street. A site development plan for a proposed two-story addition of 9,133 square feet to the existing church.
4. WELDING PLANT FACILITY, Prospect Drive. A site plan for construction of a 16,800-square-foot, one-story building for a welding shop.
PRINCE FREDERICK AREA
5. MEDICAL OFFICE BUILDING, West Prince Frederick Boulevard, Chapline Place. A site plan for construction of a 12,435-square-foot ophthalmological speciality ambulatory surgery center on 2.21 acres.
CHESAPEAKE BEACH AREA
6. RICHFIELD STATION, Deer Chase Lane. Permits for construction of seven town house units and one single-family house.
7. CENTER AT DUNKIRK, CVS Pharmacy, Ward Road and Route 4. A permit to construct a 10,125-square-foot pharmacy on 1.34 acres.
8. KING'S LANDING BATHHOUSE, off King's Landing Road. A permit for renovation to the bathhouse at the Nature Park.
SOLOMONS ISLAND AREA
9. SOLOMONS LANDING, Driftwood Lane. A permit for construction of 12 condominium units.
10. SOLOMONS LANDING, Runabout Loop. Permits to rebuild 18 town houses destroyed by fire in November 1998.