John W. Lawton

Westinghouse Executive

John W. Lawton, 78, a retired Westinghouse company executive who lived in Annapolis for the last 14 years, died of cancer Sept. 28 at his home.

Mr. Lawton joined Westinghouse's aviation division as an aeronautical engineer in the early 1960s and later became involved in international marketing. He retired in 1985 as vice president of the company's international operations.

He was born in Oakland, Md. He studied aeronautical engineering at Curtiss Wright Technical Institute in Glendale, Calif., and worked for an aircraft company in San Diego. At the start of World War II, he worked as a Lockheed Aircraft technical representative to the Royal Air Force in England and later served in the U.S. Navy.

His marriage to Barbara M. Lawton ended in divorce.

Survivors include five children, Bruce D. Lawton of Arnold, Carol L. Christhilf of Annapolis, Anne L. Gunn of Arnold, Susan A. Lawton of Odenton and Nancy L. Chamber of Topsham, Maine; a sister, Virginia Lawton of Washington; and eight grandchildren.

Mary W. 'Bobbie' Fauquier

Flower Firm President

Mary Wood "Bobbie" Fauquier, 75, former president of the Demmie Blackistone & Associates floral business, died of respiratory ailments Sept. 29 at Suburban Hospital. She lived in Bethesda.

Mrs. Fauquier began her career after World War II at Blackistone Inc. at the Capital Hilton, then the Statler Hotel. She later joined Demmie Blackistone, another florist, as a designer and worked up to manager and president. She retired in 1989 from Small's, which had bought the business.

Mrs. Fauquier was born in the Philippines, where her father was stationed with the Army Corps of Engineers. She moved to the Washington area in 1938 and graduated from Wilson High School. She attended Pratt Institute.

Her husband, James Wallace Fauquier, died in 1983.

Survivors include five children, James W. Fauquier Jr. and Thomas D.W. Fauquier, both of Bethesda, Mimi Fauquier Murray of St. Cloud, Fla., and Suzi Fauquier Curtis and John Walter Fauquier, both of Wilmington, N.C.; a brother, retired Army Col. Walter A. Wood III of McLean; and eight grandchildren.

Virginia Zell

Administrative Cashier

Virginia Zell, 74, an administrative cashier at Virginia Power, died Sept. 30 at Inova Alexandria Hospital of a lung ailment.

Mrs. Zell, an Alexandria resident for 61 years, worked from 1966 to 1994 for Virginia Power. She also worked at Potomac Electric Power Co. as a cashier in the early 1960s.

Born in Starkville, Miss., Mrs. Zell graduated from George Washington High School in Alexandria in 1946 and married Louis Zell that year.

Mrs. Zell is survived by her husband, of Alexandria; three sons, Gary, of Fairfax Station, Mike, of Lake Ridge, and Louis Jr., of Richmond; and six grandchildren.

Doris Townsend Hall

Association Director

Doris Townsend Hall, 81, former executive director of the Printing Industry of Washington and the Cerebral Palsy Foundation's local organization, died of cancer Sept. 29 at Manor Care nursing facility in Bethesda.

She was a native of Washington and a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania. She was a freelance writer as a young woman and wrote scripts for the "Henry Aldridge" radio and movie series.

She began working for the trade organization in 1953 as a secretary. Later, as executive director, she negotiated contracts with unions for printing firms. She also taught labor negotiating at Cornell University.

Mrs. Hall was with the Cerebral Palsy Foundation in the early 1970s and continued as a volunteer there. She directed an office of Group Travel Associates until 1986.

Her husband, A. Perry Hall, died in 1994. Survivors include a son, Brooke Fountaine Hall of Rockville, and a sister.

Abraham George Delman


Abraham George Delman, 93, a publisher of the Shipbuilder, a monthly newspaper for the shipbuilders union, died Sept. 28 at University Hospital in Tamarac, Fla., of pneumonia and renal failure. He lived in District for the last three decades.

Mr. Delman worked in the paper's Camden, N.J., and later Washington headquarters from 1952 until he retired in the early 1970s. A few years later, he lectured about labor history at George Washington University.

Mr. Delman was born in London and moved with his parents to New York when he was 5 years old. While a teenager, he started writing speeches for his uncle, an official in the retail clerks union. He later was involved in union organizing before becoming publisher of the Shipbuilder.

After he retired, Mr. Delman sold real estate in the District and in the early 1980s founded a short-lived association to raise money for restless legs syndrome, a neurological disorder.

He was a member of the National Press Club.

His wife of 32 years, Gertrude Delman, died in 1977.

He is survived by a son, Dr. Mark Delman of Coral Springs, Fla.; a sister; and two grandchildren.

George E. Redding Jr.


George E. Redding Jr., 77, a retired electrician who for 40 years worked in various jobs in the Washington area, died Sept. 28 at St. Mary's Hospital in Leonardtown after a stroke and heart attack.

Mr. Redding, who lived in Fort Washington, was born in Seat Pleasant. He attended Maryland Park High School.

During World War II, he served in the Army Air Forces in Italy. He then returned to Washington and took a civilian job as an electrician.

He was a member of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers. He retired in 1985.

Survivors include his wife, Ruth V. Redding of Fort Washington; four sons, Charles Redding of Clinton, John Redding of Upper Marlboro, Bruce Redding of Fort Washington and George E. Redding III of Accokeek; one brother, Robert S. Redding of Wood Resort, W.Va.; two sisters, Margaret Gardiner of Gaithersburg and Joan Tippett of Forestville; and six grandchildren.

Nellie Virginia Kidwell Facchina


Nellie Virginia Kidwell Facchina, 85, a retired Fairfax County public schools secretary, died of cancer Sept. 27 at her home in Herndon.

Mrs. Facchina, a lifelong Herndon resident, graduated from Herndon High School and spent 41 years working in the school system's administrative offices before retiring in 1975.

She was the secretary to the superintendent of schools early in her career, then moved on to the certification and staff development sections and to the personnel services department.

As a life member of Herndon United Methodist Church, she taught Sunday school there, sang in the choir and was a member of the finance committee, the administrative board and the history committee.

She also was a member of the Katie McGuire Circle of the United Methodist Women and the Herndon Volunteer Fire Department Ladies Auxiliary. In 1989, she helped establish a scholarship fund for students pursuing careers in medicine and nursing.

Her husband, Henry John Facchina, died in 1964.

There are no immediate survivors.