The grandson of one of two women who were found dead in their Northwest Washington home last week has been charged with murder, and District police were looking for him last night.

Terry Leon Boyd, 22, who lived in the house in the 600 block of Hamilton Street NW with his grandmother, Dorothy Redd, 65, and her friend Harold Ann East, 53, was charged in a warrant with the slaying of East. Police said East was shot once in the head and may have been sexually assaulted.

Redd, who was terminally ill with cancer, also was found dead in the house, but the cause of her death has not been determined, authorities said.

Investigators said Boyd moved into the home just north of the Petworth area in the past several months, after being dishonorably discharged from the Army. Police said they have been unable to locate him since the women's bodies were found Friday.

D.C. Police Sgt. Joe Gentile said that besides a possible sexual assault, investigators believe East's death also may have been motivated by theft. Some of Redd's rings were missing from the house, he said, along with an undetermined amount of cash.

The discovery of the bodies shocked neighbors on the block, many of whom have lived there for generations. Shortly after 10 a.m. Friday, police were called to the residence after a relative went to check on Redd and found her dead on the first floor. Police initially believed Redd died of natural causes. But then, an hour later, East's body was found in the basement.

One source familiar with the case said that Redd's body was found near the kitchen and that there were no obvious signs of foul play. It was only after her relatives and workers from a funeral home went through the house that East's body was found, the source said. By then, Redd's body had been placed in a funeral home vehicle. Everyone had assumed that East had left the house earlier that morning, the source added.

Gentile said authorities are awaiting a ruling on Redd's death from the D.C. medical examiner's office. Autopsies also might help police determine when both women died, Gentile said. He declined to reveal what led to the murder charge against Boyd or further describe what police have learned about his background.

Neighbors said "Dot" Redd had lived on the block for at least three decades, joined in recent years by East, whom everyone called Ann. They said that Redd recently was released from a hospital and that she was struggling not only with cancer, but also with heart problems. She and East lived upstairs in the house and Boyd took up residence in the basement, they said. Redd had cared for Boyd before he went into the military and "idolized him," said a neighbor who asked not to be identified. "She thought he was the greatest."

The police department's Crime Solvers program has offered a $1,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and indictment of Boyd. Gentile said Boyd is "known to carry a gun" but would not elaborate; neighbors said he kept guns in the house.

Authorities said police have made no connection between the women's deaths and the unexplained deaths of two other older women in their Northwest Washington homes in recent weeks.

CAPTION: Terry Leon Boyd has been charged in a warrant in the death of Ann East. They lived with Boyd's grandmother.