Father Indicted in E. Shore Killings

Richard Wayne Spicknall II, the Glen Burnie man accused of shooting his two children to death on the Eastern Shore last month, has been indicted by a Talbot County grand jury on two counts of first-degree murder and two counts of use of a handgun in the commission of a crime of violence.

Talbot County court officials unsealed the indictment of Spicknall yesterday. It was handed up by the grand jury Monday. He is being held in the county jail without bond.

State police say Spicknall, 27, of Laurel, told investigators Sept. 9 that he had shot his two children the night before as he drove to a family vacation in Ocean City. He first told police an armed carjacker threw him off a bridge into the Choptank River, then sped off in his Jeep with the children in the back.

The Jeep was found behind a house under construction a short distance from the bridge. Richard Wayne Spicknall III, 2, was dead. His sister, Destiny Array Spicknall, 3, died of her injuries the next day in a hospital.

In earlier court appearances, defense attorneys questioned the statement police say Spicknall made. Attorney Michael Belsky did not return a phone call seeking comment yesterday.

Dead Woman in Laurel Had Been Stabbed

Prince George's County homicide investigators yesterday questioned the husband of a woman who was found dead in a wooded area in Laurel on Monday, although police said the man was not considered a suspect in the case.

The woman, Donna Zinetti Longtin, 36, of the 13100 block of Larchdale Road in Laurel, had been stabbed multiple times, said Officer Julie Valdes, a police spokeswoman. Longtin was identified yesterday by her husband, Keith A. Longtin, 44.

Her body was found about 2 p.m. Monday in an overgrown ravine near her home by a woman who was walking her dog. Police said that Longtin was dressed in jogging clothes and that neighbors reported seeing her out for a run about 6:30 a.m. that day.

Keith Longtin appeared yesterday at the spot where his wife's body was discovered and told reporters that he last saw her Sunday at church, where they had a disagreement. Police said he reported his wife missing late Monday. They also said the couple had recently separated.

Judge Named for Tripp Wiretapping Case

Howard County Circuit Court Judge Diane O. Leasure has been assigned to oversee the wiretapping case of Linda R. Tripp.

Leasure, 47, is a registered Democrat and was appointed to the bench in 1995 by Gov. Parris N. Glendening (D). Previously, she practiced business law in Prince George's County for 13 years.

Lawyers said yesterday that Leasure plans to convene the two sides in the case next week to work out legal and scheduling issues. No court dates have been set.

Tripp was indicted July 30 by a Howard County grand jury on charges that she illegally taped a phone conversation with former White House intern Monica S. Lewinsky and revealed its contents to Newsweek magazine. Each charge is punishable by up to five years in prison and a $10,000 fine.


Man Gets Probation for Senate Outburst

Richard Douglas Llamas, the District resident who was convicted in July of disrupting Congress during the impeachment trial of President Clinton, has been sentenced to three months of unsupervised probation.

Llamas, who shouted from the Senate gallery during a roll call vote, "Good God almighty, take the vote and get it over with!," could have received six months in prison and a $500 fine. At sentencing last month, D.C. Superior Court Judge Neal E. Kravitz also handed down 10 days of confinement, with all of it suspended.

Llamas, 49, whose deed was interpreted by pundits as expressing the frustration of many Americans over the impeachment process, testified that he believed that Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.) had secretly signaled him to initiate the outburst. Llamas's attorney, Michael Madden, said after the trial that Llamas, an unemployed carpenter, has a diagnosis of bipolar disorder and "delusional thinking."