A 32-year-old Reston man, who was released from his fourth prison term in July, was arrested early yesterday and charged with attempting to molest a 5-year-old boy after allegedly luring him from a Reston apartment complex into the nearby woods.

Fairfax County police said tips from Reston residents began pouring in shortly after news media reports aired Thursday evening of two separate assaults, both on 5-year-old boys, near the Cedar Ridge Apartments in the 1600 block of Becontree Lane. Detectives later located Calvin Lamont Reaves, of 11449 Cypress Point Court, at a relative's house.

Reaves voluntarily went to the Reston police station Thursday night, police said, and after being interviewed by detectives, he was arrested shortly after midnight. He was arraigned yesterday morning on charges of attempting to commit forcible sodomy on a child and abduction with intent to defile. He was ordered held without bond in the Fairfax County jail.

Yesterday afternoon, police returned to Cedar Ridge after Reaves's older brother visited the complex and began arguing with two men he had seen interviewed on television. Officer Julie Hersey said police searched the brother and released him, and she said patrol officers would be stationed in the complex last night.

Several Cedar Ridge residents told police they believed they may have seen the man responsible for the attack that occurred about 6 p.m. Wednesday, Officer Jayne Woolf said, and their calls helped lead to Reaves. Police would not discuss whether Reaves was cooperative in his interview with detectives or whether investigators have any physical evidence in the case.

A resident walking on one of Reston's wooded paths apparently interrupted the assault Wednesday evening, which police said began when a man pushing a mountain bike through Cedar Ridge persuaded the boy to follow him from the foyer of his apartment building. The boy told police the man hit him several times, then tried to molest him, but fled when the passerby appeared.

Police said the attack appeared similar to an assault in the same wooded area on Sept. 19, when another 5-year-old boy ran into the woods to chase a ball. While he was gone, he apparently was molested by a man who was waiting there. Reaves has not been charged in that case.

According to state court and prison records, Reaves has spent the majority of his adult life in Virginia jails and prisons on burglary and drug charges. In December 1985, Reaves, then 18, received a five-year suspended sentence for grand larceny. After he was arrested again five months later and charged with burglary, he received a seven-year prison sentence.

Records show that Reaves served about 20 months of that term. One month after his release, he was arrested and charged with attempted burglary; he received another five-year sentence. He served more than four years of that term, but he violated his parole four months later and was arrested in Richmond in April 1993 for distributing cocaine, the records show.

Reaves did another three years in prison, was paroled in September 1996 and apparently returned to Northern Virginia. He was living in Herndon when he was arrested in November 1997 for two burglaries there and was sentenced to two years in prison. He served most of his time at the minimum-security Patrick Henry Field Unit near Martinsville and was released on July 29.