Benjamin Abramson

Northern Virginia Builder

Benjamin Abramson, 89, who as founder, owner and president of Ben-Mar Construction Co. of Arlington had built houses and apartments in Northern Virginia since the 1950s, died of pneumonia Oct. 10 at Arlington Hospital. He lived in Arlington.

His projects had included the Lee Cleveland and Jordan Manor apartments in Arlington and the Sunset Park apartments in Fairfax County.

Mr. Abramson was born in Berlin, N.H., and graduated from the University of New Hampshire. During World War II, he served in the Army Air Forces flying gliders in Europe and later served as a flight instructor for B-29 Superfortress bombers.

He retired from the Air Force Reserve in the 1960s with the rank of major.

He settled in Washington after the war, operating his company, Colonial Realty, in Arlington, before becoming a builder.

Mr. Abramson was a member of the Army Navy Country Club and Beth El Hebrew Congregation in Alexandria.

Survivors include his wife of 54 years, Marjorie Rubin Abramson of Arlington; three sons, Jonathan, of Fairfax, and Daniel R. and Paul R., both of Alexandria; a daughter, Janet Horwood of Glencoe, Ill.; and six grandchildren.

Orrin Hill Bartlett

FBI Special Agent

Orrin Hill Bartlett, 85, a retired Federal Bureau of Investigation special agent and former longtime Chevy Chase resident, died Oct. 8 at Suburban Hospital after a heart attack. He lived at the Springhouse Manor Care assisted living facility in Bethesda.

Mr. Bartlett served with the FBI for 33 years before retiring in 1968 as a liaison to the White House and State Department. He returned to his native Wyalusing, Pa., in 1976 but came back to the Washington area three years ago.

In retirement he did security work for celebrities and foreign dignitaries. He also was an active member of the D.C. chapter of the Society of Former Special Agents

He was a member of Chevy Chase Methodist Church.

His wife of 61 years, Louise Drennon Bartlett, died in 1997. Survivors include two daughters, Joan Bartlett Reynolds of Rockville and Susan Bartlett Burke of Bethesda; six grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Beatrice Myriam Greenberg Levine


Beatrice Myriam Greenberg Levine, 75, who ran a dry cleaning business and later a gift shop in the area, died of a heart ailment Oct. 9 at the Washington Hospital Center.

During the 1940s and 1950s, Mrs. Levine co-owned District-based Prosperity Cleaners, which her parents started. From 1978 to 1990, she ran the Unendangered Species, a gift shop first located in White Flint Mall in North Bethesda; from the mid-1980s, it was in Ballston Common Mall in Arlington.

She most recently worked as a receptionist at Danzansky-Goldberg Memorial Chapel in Rockville. She retired from the funeral home two years ago.

Mrs. Levine, a Washington native, was a 1942 graduate of Roosevelt High School. She lived most of her life in Montgomery County and spent the last two years in Rockville.

She was a member of the National Mah Jongg League and played in mah-jongg tournaments.

Her husband of 37 years, Norman W. Levine, died in 1983. Survivors include two sons, Barry I. Levine of Rockville, and Larry E. Levine of Bethesda; three daughters, Diane E. Ambur of Silver Spring, Susan J. Levine of Potomac, Jody D. White of Brookeville; and five grandchildren.

J. David Mann Jr.


J. David Mann Jr., 81, a lawyer who specialized in representing utility companies and who in the late 1940s opened the Washington offices of the Philadelphia-based law firm of Morgan Lewis & Bockius, died of cancer Oct. 9 at his home in St. Michaels.

Mr. Mann, who retired to the Eastern Shore in 1983, lived in Bethesda for more than three decades.

He began his career in Washington after World War II, working as assistant to the chairman of the Federal Power Commission.

Mr. Mann was born in Nashville, Ill., and graduated from Indiana University and its law school. During World War II, he served in the Army in Hawaii as an aide to two generals.

Mr. Mann had served as president of the Federal Energy Bar Association, as chairman of the Easton Airport Board, and as a member of the board of governors of both the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum and the Talbot Country Club in Easton. He was a member of St. John's Episcopal Church in Chevy Chase and Congressional Country Club in Bethesda.

His avocations included golf and fishing.

Survivors include his wife of 50 years, Sheila Mann, of St. Michaels; a son, David Mann, of Arlington; a daughter, Deborah Mann, of Portland, Maine; and two granddaughters.