Leroy F. Owens


Leroy F. Owens, 74, who was a principal partner in the Washington architectural firm of Clas, Riggs, Owens and Ramos for more than four decades before retiring in 1995, died of cancer Oct. 1 at his home in Dunnellon, Fla. The former Silver Spring resident had lived in Florida since 1997.

His firm designed a number of buildings in the District and surrounding suburbs, including the International Monetary Fund headquarters and the Marbury Hotel in Washington.

Mr. Owens, a native Washingtonian, graduated from Central High School and attended George Washington University night school.

He joined the Army in 1942 and served in the Philippines and New Guinea during World War II.

He continued his studies after the war and graduated with a degree in architecture from Catholic University.

He was a member of the American Institute of Architects' D.C. chapter and past treasurer of the Potomac Valley chapter.

His first wife, Vivian Nelson Owens, died in 1978.

Survivors include his wife of 19 years, Phyllis Owens of Dunnellon; three sons from his first marriage, Leroy F. Owens Jr. of Mount Vernon, Ohio, Stephen N. Owens of Frederick, Md., and Nelson N. Owens of Damascus; three stepchildren, Scott Marsden of Denver, Wayne Marsden of Houston and Leslie Boggs of Sykesville, Md.; three sisters, Doris Norris of Rockville, Patsy Cronin of Silver Spring and Betty Kelly of Springfield; and seven grandchildren.

Charles Frank Campbell


Charles Frank Campbell, 80, a former engineer for NASA and then for the District government, died Oct. 10 at his home in Falls Church after a heart attack.

From 1958 to 1968, Mr. Campbell was the lead electrical engineer of the field facilities branch of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration at Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt. He oversaw the design of the electrical power systems used to track space flights.

Mr. Campbell joined the District's Department of Public Works and was chief of the mechanical and electrical divisions from 1968 until his retirement in 1986.

Mr. Campbell was born in Hensley, W.Va., and raised in Patrick County, Va. He worked as an electrician in shipyards throughout Hampton Roads before joining the Navy during World War II. He graduated from Virginia Tech in 1954 with a degree in engineering.

Mr. Campbell was a member of the Fairfax Resolves Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution and the Virginia Society of the Sons of the Revolution.

Survivors include his wife of 53 years, Lucille Plaster of Falls Church; a son, Charles Steven Campbell of Centreville; two daughters, Priscilla Jane Hilderbrand of Silver Spring and Lorraine Campbell Sims of Luray, Va.; two grandchildren; and a brother.

Mildred L. Hoyle


Mildred L. Hoyle, 84, a former homemaker in Bethesda, died Oct. 4 at Health Central Hospital in Ocoee, Fla., of respiratory failure and emphysema.

Mrs. Hoyle was born in Bethesda and lived there until moving to Orlando, Fla., 12 years ago.

Her husband, Willie H. Hoyle, died in 1956. Survivors include a daughter, Betty Price of Orlando; two grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Richard Crosman Fowler


Richard Crosman Fowler, 83, who was a physician at the George Washington University student health center for 20 years before retiring in 1978, died at Easton Memorial Hospital after a stroke.

Dr. Fowler also conducted research on metabolic and rheumatoid diseases and atherosclerosis during his tenure at George Washington University. A former District resident, he had lived in Easton, Md., since his retirement.

He was born in Rochester, N.Y., and was an electrical engineering graduate of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He received a degree in medicine from the University of Rochester and served as a Navy medical officer during World War II.

He was recalled to active military duty during the Korean War and served at the Naval Research Center in Bethesda.

He was a resident at George Washington University Hospital in 1956 and later a senior resident in medicine at the Mount Alto Veterans Administration Hospital.

In 1978, he and his wife, Mavis, established the Foundation for the Advanced Research in Medical Sciences, providing money for research on saline solutions for burn victims and Lyme disease in ticks.

In addition to his wife, of Easton, survivors include two children, Georgia M. Ratliff of Germantown and Richard C. Fowler of Elkton, Md.; and two grandchildren.

Virginia J. Olsson


Virginia J. Olsson, 86, a retired secretary and personal assistant who had worked for the government and in private industry, died Oct. 9 at her home in Washington after a heart attack.

Miss Olsson graduated from a business school in her native Maine before coming to Washington, where she joined the Army Corps of Engineers during World War II. She assisted officials working on the atomic bomb project and spent part of the war at Oak Ridge, Tenn.

In the mid-1950s, she left the government and joined the K.D. Nichols atomic energy consulting firm in Arlington. She worked there until retiring in the mid-1980s.

She leaves no immediate survivors.

Bazil William Brown Jr.

Foreign Service Officer

Bazil William Brown Jr., 67, a retired Foreign Service officer who had been active in church groups, died of pneumonia Oct. 11 at the Prince George's Hospital Center. He had emphysema.

Mr. Brown, a native of Mount Vernon, N.Y., was a graduate of Amherst College and an Army veteran.

He joined the State Department's Foreign Service in 1956 and held overseas posts in Martinique, India, Pakistan and Ethiopia. He devoted much of his career to economic and political affairs. He retired in 1991 but did work for the department until the mid-1990s.

He lived in Washington until entering the Collington Retirement Community in Mitchellville 1 1/2 years ago.

Mr. Brown had been a member of St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Washington and sang in the church choir.

He also had been a member of the Washington National Cathedral Choral Society. His hobbies had included genealogical research.

His marriage to Jean Brown ended in divorce.

Survivors include two sons, Peter, of Boston, and Michael, of Rockville; a daughter, Elizabeth O'Donoghue of College Park; two sisters; and five grandchildren.

A son, David, died in 1987.

Richard G. High Jr.

Labor Department Official

Richard G. High Jr., 49, an assessments director with the Labor Department's mine safety and health administration who had worked for the government since the mid-1970s, died Oct. 8 at his home in Arlington. He had AIDS.

Mr. High was born in Pottstown, Pa., and raised in Camillus, N.Y. He graduated from Alfred University and worked for an insurance company before coming to the Washington area and joining the government. He worked for the Federal Home Loan Bank Board before transferring to the Labor Department.

His hobbies included Corvettes, travel and gardening.

Survivors include his companion of 26 years, Curt Linermann of Arlington; his father; his stepmother; a sister; and a brother.

Carl M. `Chuck' Medved

GSA Procurement Officer

Carl M. "Chuck" Medved, 77, a retired General Services Administration procurement officer and former area car salesman, died of renal failure and a heart ailment Sept. 30 at Inova Fairfax Hospital. A resident of Bradenton, Fla., he died while visiting relatives in the area.

Mr. Medved, who lived in the Washington area from 1960 until moving to Florida in 1985, was a former Annandale resident. From 1960 to 1970, he sold cars for Loving Chevrolet in Upper Marlboro and Bob Peck Chevrolet in Arlington. From 1970 until retiring in 1985, he worked for GSA.

He had been a Mason and a member of Kena Temple Shrine. His hobbies included fishing, boating, flying and cooking.

Mr. Medved was a native of New York and a 1944 graduate of the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, N.Y. During World War II, he served at sea with the Coast Guard.

His marriages to Edna, Elizabeth, and Betty Medved had ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Laura, of Ellenton, Fla.; a son from his first marriage, Richard, of California; three children from his second marriage, JoAnn Medved Ward of Falls Church, Bill Medved of Annandale, and Kenneth Medved of Alaska; a brother; four sisters; and four grandchildren.

Wesley Reedy

Union Official

Wesley Reedy, 90, a former official with the AFL-CIO, died Oct. 8 at his home in Silver Spring. Determination of the cause of his death is pending completions of tests by the Maryland medical examiner.

Mr. Reedy was assistant to the secretary-treasurer of the union for 27 years before retiring in 1982.

He was born in Philadelphia and was a baker. He grew active in the Bakers Local No. 6 in his hometown before becoming a vice president of the Bakers International Union in 1950.

He was an auditor of the National Council of Senior Citizens as well as a member of the AFL-CIO Retiree's Association, the National-Capital Area Union Retirees and the District chapter of Friends of Ireland.

His wife of 64 years, Elizabeth Reedy, died in 1995.

Survivors include his son, John, of Silver Spring, and a daughter, Elizabeth Reedy of Houston, Minn.

Warren G.H. Fisher Sr.

Clerk and Writer

Warren G.H. Fisher Sr., 78, a former Navy Department clerk-typist who also wrote for newspapers covering the black community, died of a heart ailment Oct. 7 at Hadley Memorial Hospital. He was a lifelong Washington resident.

Mr. Fisher, known as "Fab" or "Fabulous" because of his community involvement, retired from the Navy Department in 1973 after working there more than two decades.

He wrote for the Washington Informer and Capital Spotlight newspapers, often reporting and writing editorials about Anacostia. He wrote the "Over the River" column for the Informer and was a former editor at the Capital Spotlight.

Since the 1940s, Mr. Fisher had been an avid photographer, and his pictures of Anacostia residents were exhibited in 1979 at the Anacostia Museum of the Smithsonian Institution.

He graduated from Dunbar High School and was an Army veteran of World War II.

Mr. Fisher was a member of A.P. Shaw United Methodist Church in Washington. In the 1940s, he was a member of the Barry Farm community beautification project.

Fluent in French, Mr. Fisher regularly was a host to French-speaking Africans in his home. Pictures he took of those visitors were exhibited in 1963 on a trip to Africa sponsored by the State Department.

Survivors include his wife of 57 years, Irene W. Fisher of Washington; a daughter, JoAnn Fisher of Oxon Hill; two sons, Donald, of Washington, and Warren Jr., of Oakland, Calif.; 15 grandchildren; and 22 great-grandchildren.

Charles E. Lambert

Air Force Officer

Charles E. Lambert, 79, a retired Air Force lieutenant colonel and meteorologist who helped develop an international aviation forecasting system, died of a respiratory ailment Oct. 10 at Georgetown University Hospital. A resident of the Washington area for 40 years, he lived in La Plata.

He served in the military for 21 years and retired in 1962. He was an aviation forecaster and program leader with the U.S. Weather Service after that, and worked on computerized international forecasting until he retired again in 1988.

Col. Lambert was born in Barboursville, W.Va. He was a graduate of Marshall University. He served in the Army Air Forces as a pilot during World War II in Europe and Asia. He was later posted to meteorology assignments in Japan and Okinawa.

He was president of the PTA at Potomac High School, a deacon at Fort Foote Baptist Church in Oxon Hill and a volunteer with the American Red Cross blood donor program and the hospital at Andrews Air Force Base.

His honors included a bronze medal from the Commerce Department.

Survivors include his wife of 51 years, Betty Lambert of La Plata; four children, Gary Lambert of Deep Creek Lake, Md., James Lambert of Fort Washington, Michael Lambert of Huntingtown and Mary Ann Goode-Rebel of Cumberland, R.I.; three sisters; a brother; and eight grandchildren.

Flora Lewis Phelps


Flora Lewis Phelps, 82, who retired from the Organization of American States in 1982 as editor of Americas magazine, died Oct. 4 at George Washington University Hospital after digestive tract surgery. She lived at the Collington Episcopal Life Care Community in Mitchellville.

Mrs. Phelps was born in San Francisco into an Army family and had lived in the Washington area off and on for 70 years. She attended the University of Michigan and was a cum laude graduate of Bryn Mawr College. She received a master's degree in anthropology from Columbia University, where she also did work toward a doctorate.

Mrs. Phelps was a social science analyst with the Office of Strategic Services during World War II. She taught at Rutgers University before joining the OAS magazine staff in 1960. She was a contributing editor after she retired.

Mrs. Phelps was a member of the Woman's National Democratic Club, the Society of Woman Geographers, the American Anthropological Society and the Archaeological Institute of America.

Her husband of 54 years, Dr. C. Russell Phelps, died last year. Survivors include three children, Andrew Russell Phelps of Berkeley, Calif., Carol Lewis Phelps of Washington and Gail Phelps Smith of Annville, Pa.

Bennie C. Mitchell

Computer Specialist

Bennie C. Mitchell, 69, a computer specialist who retired in 1979 after 30 years with the Labor Department, died of a lung ailment Oct. 10 at a private care facility in Upper Marlboro. He lived in Washington.

Mr. Mitchell was born in Saluda, S.C., and had lived in Washington since childhood. He was a graduate of Phelps Vocational High School.

He was a member of the D.C. Anglers fishing club and had won fishing tournament awards. He received distinguished service awards from the Labor Department. He volunteered with the D.C. board of elections.

Survivors include his wife of 45 years, Lorraine P. Mitchell of Washington; six children; three brothers; three sisters; nine grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Allan L. Forbes


Allan L. Forbes, 71, a nutritionist and former official with the Food and Drug Administration, died of cancer Sept. 26 at his home in Rockville.

Dr. Forbes, who joined the FDA in 1970, retired in 1989 as the associate director for nutrition and food science.

He won the Distinguished Service Award from the Department of Health and Human Services in 1987 and the Presidential Rank Award for distinguished federal service in 1988.

From 1963 to 1970, he worked in the Department of the Army as a medical officer in the life sciences division. In 1966, he received the Army's Meritorious Civilian Service Award.

Dr. Forbes was born in Richmond. He was a 1949 graduate of McGill University and a 1953 graduate of the Medical College of Virginia. He also received a master's degree in biochemistry from that school. He was a graduate of the National War College. Before joining the Army Department, he was a clinical investigator at a Veterans Administration hospital in Richmond.

After retiring from the FDA, he was a consultant to corporations and countries on food importing and nutritional matters.

Dr. Forbes was a member of the Cosmos Club in the District.

Survivors include his wife since 1954, Janie Catherine Robb Forbes of Rockville; two daughters, Laurie Klinedinst of Hattiesburg, Miss., and Ellen Hryniowski of Toronto; a son, John Campbell Forbes of New Brunswick, Canada; and six grandchildren.

Frank Gordon Mitchell

Budget Analyst and Artist

Frank Gordon Mitchell, 87, a retired government budget analyst who in retirement rekindled his childhood interest in art, died of cancer Oct. 1 at his home in Washington.

Mr. Mitchell, who was born in North Carolina, grew up in Detroit, where his pen-and-ink drawings were printed in newspapers. He came to Washington in 1932 and worked for the State Department before joining the Navy Department in the early 1950s. He retired as a budget analyst in 1965.

After that, he took art classes. His modern-style paintings were displayed in the Corcoran Gallery of Art, the Baltimore Museum of Art and other regional galleries.

Survivors include his wife of 67 years, Marie Elizabeth Mitchell of Washington; six daughters, Susan Mitchell Tenney of Bethesda, Tookie Gentilcore of Poolesville, Mary Mitchell-Donahue of College Park, Frances M. Becker of Manassas, Martha L. Scott of Nashville and Joanne C. Maddox-Boyd of Ocala, Fla.; a son, Martin W. Mitchell of Asheville, N.C.; a sister; 24 grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.

Marlee McKenna

Administrative Assistant

Marlee McKenna, 57, an administrative assistant at the University of Maryland, died of lymphatic cancer Oct. 4 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital. She lived in Laurel.

She worked for the last decade at the university's graduate electrical engineering school.

Mrs. McKenna, who was born in Cumberland, Md., graduated in 1960 from Sacred Heart Academy in the District. Starting in the mid-1960s, she was a secretary for about five years at the Naval Ordnance Laboratory in White Oak. She was a substitute teacher in Prince George's County elementary schools in the early 1980s.

She was a member of St. Nicholas Catholic Church in Laurel and the church's altar society.

Survivors include her husband of 32 years, James T. McKenna of Laurel; a son, Timothy, of Burtonsville; a daughter, Sandra Campbell of Raleigh, N.C.; her mother, Kathleen Miller of Laurel; two brothers, Donald Miller of Olney and Robert Miller of Annapolis; and a grandson.