The St. Mary's women's soccer team recovered from its worst defeat of the season to capture two shutout victories last week. Freshman Amy Bishop scored early to give the Seahawks a 1-0 victory over Wesley College of Delaware, on Wednesday, and St. Mary's followed up with a 4-0 victory over Ferrum on Saturday.

The week before, the Seahawks (8-3, 3-2 in the Capital Athletic Conference) had lost, 4-0, to CAC leader Salisbury State. St. Mary's is third in the conference, behind Mary Washington.

The Salisbury game "gave us kind of a heads-up on where we need to go and what level we need to play at for the rest of the year," St. Mary's assistant coach Mark Mermelstein said. "[The team] rebounded very well. We came back and played two solid matches, and we're building upon those matches for the rest of the season."

Wednesday in Dover, Bishop scored in the fourth minute, running onto sophomore Christa Childers's well-placed cross. The Seahawks were unable to increase their advantage but outshot Wesley, 14-3, in the match.

"There was no lull from the Salisbury match," Mermelstein said. "It definitely hit home with our kids, and we got ready to play the very next day."

Three days later, the Seahawks got goals from four players in the win over Ferrum.

"Our scoring attack is fairly balanced," Mermelstein said. "We have 13 players with a goal or an assist this season. There won't be a team that can mark us out of a game if they concentrate on just one or two players."

Adding to St. Mary's optimism is the prospect of playing with a completely healthy lineup in Friday's home match against Marymount. One key returnee is freshman midfielder Brooke Barcheski, who had suffered a slight knee ligament tear.

"We probably had five or six players hurt at any given time, but we're finally at a point where we think we can be healthy as a group," Mermelstein said. "That will be pretty significant for us. The games are starting to come fast and furious."

Men's Team Shut Out Twice

St. Mary's men's soccer team suffered two difficult 1-0 losses last week, dropping their record to 6-7. On Saturday, the Seahawks fell to Ferrum in double overtime despite getting several chances to score. St. Mary's outshot Ferrum, 18-12, but absorbed nine Panther corner kicks before succumbing in the 112th minute.

On Monday, the Seahawks could not recover from defender Steve Thur's own goal in the 72nd minute of a nonconference match against Haverford. St. Mary's managed only six shots on goal.

Victories in Volleyball

The St. Mary's women's volleyball team has won its past two Capital Athletic Conference matches and will take that momentum into this weekend's prestigious Green Terror Invitational tournament at Western Maryland College.

The 12-team tournament will feature six of the top eight teams in the Mid-Atlantic regional rankings. The Seahawks (19-8, 4-2) will play No. 5 Moravian of Bethlehem, Pa., and No. 8 Richard Stockton of Pomona, N.J., in Friday's opening round.

St. Mary's took over second place in the Capital Athletic Conference after defeating Marymount, 15-9, 15-11, 15-8, on Oct. 7 and York, 15-10, 15-8, 7-15, 11-15, 15-13, last Saturday. Senior Sylvia Kaltreider (Mount Hebron) became the second player in school history to record 2,000 assists in a career when she tallied 44 against York.