L.E. 'Earl' Moranda

CIA Official

L.E. "Earl" Moranda, 91, who served in the Central Intelligence Agency for 23 years before retiring in 1970 as an administrative officer, died of cancer Oct. 8 at the Washington Home Hospice. He lived in Washington.

He joined the CIA when the agency was established in 1947. He was a research analyst before going to Lebanon, where he served from 1952 to 1956. He then returned to Washington, where he worked until retiring.

Mr. Moranda attended Los Angeles City College in his native California before coming to Washington in about 1940 as a civilian employee of Army Intelligence. During World War II, he was commissioned in the Army and served in Army Intelligence and then in Army Air Forces counterintelligence.

Mr. Moranda continued to work for the government in a civilian capacity after the war and later retired from the Army Reserve as a lieutenant colonel.

In retirement, he spent 25 years as a volunteer with Common Cause. He also traveled and became a gourmet cook and was a fan of the Washington Redskins football team.

Survivors include his wife of 54 years, Lorene B. "Becky" Moranda of Washington; a son, Stephen P., of St. Augustine, Fla.; a daughter, Christine Moranda of Columbus, Ohio; and two grandchildren. Another son, Robert B., died in 1993.

Aaron Newton Taylor

Police Officer

Aaron Newton Taylor, 70, who served with the D.C. police for 22 years before retiring in 1972 as a lieutenant, died of cancer Oct. 9 at his home in Mechanicsville.

He spent much of his police career in the traffic division, riding motorcycles and serving in helicopters. He rode in details for U.S. presidents and foreign heads of state and other dignitaries. He served in the funeral details for Presidents Dwight D. Eisenhower and John F. Kennedy.

Mr. Taylor, who came to the Washington area in 1941, was a North Carolina native and Navy veteran who attended American University. He was a former Clinton resident.

From 1974 to 1976, he did security work for Metro. From 1980 to 1982, he did security work for the St. Mary's Public Schools. From 1986 until retiring a second time, in 1992, he worked for the Seafarers Union.

Survivors include his wife, Peggy A., of Mechanicsville; three sons, Robert R., of Leonardstown, and James E. and David K., both of Mechanicsville; and four grandchildren.

Leslie C. Saunders

Alexandria Police Official

Leslie C. Saunders, 84, who served in the Alexandria Police Department for 34 years before retiring in 1971 as its deputy chief, died of kidney failure Oct. 15 at Inova Alexandria Hospital. He lived in Alexandria.

Mr. Saunders was a native of Alexandria and a graduate of George Washington High School. He also graduated from the University of Louisville's Southern Police Institute.

He was a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church in Alexandria.

His wife of 50 years, the former Madeline Cox, died in 1988.

Survivors include a son, Leslie Jr., of Alexandria; a brother, Earl Mason Saunders of Fredericksburg, Va.; three grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Josephine Rotolo DeCarlo

Church Member

Josephine Rotolo DeCarlo, 82, a member of St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church in Falls Church, died Oct. 11 at Inova Fairfax Hospital. She had leukemia.

Mrs. DeCarlo, who lived in Falls Church, moved to the Washington area in 1943 from her native Pueblo, Colo. She was a member of the St. Gerard Society and a school volunteer at St. Thomas More Cathedral in Arlington.

Survivors include her husband of 58 years, Joseph A. DeCarlo of Falls Church; three children, Dr. Russell A. DeCarlo of Annandale, Rosemary J. Snow of Hollywood, Fla., and Dr. Phyllis Cross of Falls Church; a brother; and five sisters.

Richard B. Farrar

Smithsonian Photographer

Richard Bates Farrar, 80, who worked for the Smithsonian Institution from 1959 to 1978, when he retired as head photographer of its Air & Space Museum, died Oct. 12 at a nursing home in Fort Worth. He had had Parkinson's disease since 1978.

Mr. Farrar, a former resident of Rockville and Wheaton, lived in the Washington area from 1959 until 1980, when he moved to Texas. He lived in Austin and then in 1998 moved to Fort Worth.

He was born in Bridgewater, Mass., and served with the Army in Asia during World War II.

In Wheaton, he had been a Boy Scouts scoutmaster.

Survivors include his wife of 49 years, Eleanor Parmer Farrar of Fort Worth; two sons, Gregory, of Cedar Park, Tex., and Bradford, of Fort Worth; a sister; and five grandchildren.

Sammie C. Bear

Staff Associate

Sammie C. Bear, 71, a retired staff associate with the National Academy of Public Administration and a former government worker, died of pneumonia Oct. 14 at her home in Ocean View, Del.

Mrs. Bear, a former Landover Hills and Arlington resident, lived in the Washington area from 1964 until moving to Delaware in 1990.

She came to Washington from her native Texas, where she had done campaign work for then-Gov. John Connolly, to work as an aide in the Johnson inauguration organization. She worked in the Johnson and Nixon White House press offices before becoming a special assistant at the Department of Health, Education and Welfare, where she worked from 1971 to 1982. She then joined the academy, a private organization, from which she retired in 1990.

Her marriage to Richard Bear ended in divorce.

Survivors include two daughters, Carolyn LaCamera of Fairfax Station and Suzi Kindregan of Springfield; a brother; a sister; four grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.

Edward J. Maloy III

County Official

Edward J. Maloy III, 94, who served as manager of the Montgomery County Liquor Control Department from 1958 to 1972, died of a heart ailment Oct. 13 at his home in the Green Spring Village retirement center in Springfield.

Mr. Maloy, who moved to Springfield about a year ago from Wheaton, had lived in Montgomery County for 70 years. He was born in Washington and served in the Maryland National Guard during World War II.

He worked as a manager of the Morningside Laundry in Silver Spring and owned and operated Eddie's Tavern on Georgia Avenue before moving to California, where he lived from 1955 until returning here in 1958.

He had been a member of St. Catherine Laboure Catholic Church in Wheaton and the Izaak Walton League. He was a charter member of both the Silver Spring and Rockville Elks clubs.

Survivors include his wife of 52 years, Jayne M., of Springfield; two sons, Edward IV, of Williamsport, Md., and Patrick M., of Springfield; and five grandchildren.