Abusive Passenger Gets Four Months

A Belgian man who yelled at passengers and crew members during a transatlantic flight in August was sentenced yesterday in U.S. District Court in Alexandria to four months in prison.

Frank Janicki, 37, pleaded guilty last month to verbally assaulting and intimidating a United Airlines crew member during a flight from Belgium to Dulles International Airport.

According to court documents, Janicki was on Flight 951 on Aug. 29 when he became loud and abusive.

Janicki also was ordered to pay a $5,000 fine. His attorney, Glen A. Trimper, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Child Pornography Brings Sentence

An Alexandria man who downloaded pornographic pictures of children onto his home computer was sentenced yesterday to 27 months in prison. James Phillip Frankel, 28, who attended a hearing in U.S. District Court in Alexandria, also was ordered to serve three years of supervised release after his prison term.

Frankel, who had worked on Capitol Hill in the mail room of Sen. Rod Grams (R-Minn.) before his arrest in June, pleaded guilty in August to one count of possession of child pornography.

During a search of Frankel's house, investigators found children's underwear and snapshots of children taken at local attractions, including at a zoo.

Police Arrest Shooting Suspect

A man being sought for allegedly firing shots at Fairfax County police in Reston last week was arrested yesterday in Herndon.

According to police, officers went to a basketball court on Glade Drive to break up an argument among a group of men the night of Oct. 15. As the men fled, officers ran after them until several shots were fired at them. Officers later found the gun, police said, and linked it to Derek McDaniel, 25, of no fixed address.

Police said officers received a tip yesterday that McDaniel was in the 13300 block of Feldman Place. Police surrounded the building, and McDaniel surrendered without incident, police said.


Howard County Officers File Counterclaim

Two Howard County police officers filed a counterclaim Thursday against a man who sued them in September claiming he was assaulted by the officers at a Phish concert in August 1998.

The officers, John McKissick and Mark Proviano, are seeking compensation and $5,100 in punitive damages, saying the suit filed against them by Peter Farragut, 22, of Ellicott City, damaged their reputations. Farragut's suit claims the officers grabbed him from behind, slammed him onto the hood of a parked car, handcuffed him and sprayed him with pepper spray despite the fact that he was "totally subdued." Farragut is seeking $75,000 in compensation and $100,000 in punitive damages.

The officers' counterclaim said Farragut struck out at them and tried to resist arrest after they spied him involved in a "drug violation." Farragut was never charged.


Teen Shot to Death on NW Street

An 18-year-old Northeast Washington man was shot and killed late yesterday afternoon near a busy Northwest Washington intersection, D.C. police said.

David Marshall, of the 200 block of Cromwell Terrace, was shot in the head about 5:30 p.m. at 13th Street and Otis Place NW, police said. Marshall was apparently shot by someone who approached on foot, possibly after Marshall left a store, police said.

Earlier in the day, the body of a woman was found in a wooded area in Southwest Washington. The body of the woman, who was not identified, was spotted in the 4800 block of First Street SW by a passerby, according to Sgt. Joseph Gentile, a police spokesman. An autopsy is being conducted.