John A. Long, 87, a Washington physician who for 25 years was chief of radiology at Providence Hospital, died Oct. 21 at home in Chevy Chase of complications related to a stroke.
Dr. Long retired from Providence Hospital in 1976 but then served 10 years as a radiologist at the Pentagon Medical Clinic, retiring there in 1986. He started the schools for X-ray technologists at Providence Hospital and Montgomery College.
He was born in Topeka, Kan., and came to Washington as a child. He graduated from Eastern High School and George Washington University. While in college, he worked at the Government Printing Office.
He was a cum laude graduate of Georgetown University Medical School and served his internship at Georgetown University Hospital. During World War II, he served in Europe as an Army physician and received a Bronze Star. He retired from the Army Reserve as a lieutenant colonel in 1955.
After the war, Dr. Long returned to Georgetown Hospital, where he did a one-year residency in pathology and a three-year residency in radiology.
He then began his 25-year career at Providence Hospital. He also was a radiologist at the Yater clinic.
He was co-author of the "History of the Daughters of Charity at Providence Hospital," a copy of which is at the Vatican library. His avocations included canoeing with the Washington Canoe Club. In 1936, Dr. Long's canoe team won the national single-blade championship.
Survivors include his wife, Valerie Long of Chevy Chase; five children, John Jr., of Bethesda, James, of Washington, Joseph, of Silver Spring, Maureen Ervin of Hemingway, S.C., and Valerie Ware of Severn; and seven grandchildren.