An obituary of John A. Waters, which appeared Oct. 28, omitted his survivors. They include his wife, Dorothy W. Waters of Mitchellville; a daughter, Arlene W. Pagan of Washington; and two stepsons, Edwin Martin of Mitchellville and Reginald Martin of Washington. The obituary also failed to report that his first marriage, to Irene Waters, ended in divorce. (Published 11/03/1999)

Philip A. Madden


Philip A. Madden, 71, an Agriculture Department microbiologist who later worked in the gypsy moth suppression program for the state of Maryland, died of cardiopulmonary arrest Oct. 23 at home in Davidsonville. He had amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

In 1953 Mr. Madden joined the Agriculture Department. Until his federal retirement in 1981 he was a microbiologist and electron microscopist at the agency's animal disease center in Beltsville. For 16 years after that he was a specialist in gypsy moth suppression with the forest pest management unit of the Maryland Department of Agriculture.

He was born in Washington, graduated from Hyattsville High School, and served in the Marine Corps in the late 1940s. He graduated from the University of Maryland.

Mr. Madden was a barbershop quartet singer and a former president of the "Sons of the Severn" chapter of the Society for the Preservation and Encouragement of BarberShop Quartet Singing in America.

He was a Cub Scout leader, and a member of the Davidsonville Ruritan Club and Our Lady of the Fields Catholic Church in Millersville.

Survivors include his wife of 45 years, Cecilia Madden of Davidsonville; four children, Steve, of Pasadena, Md., Jim, of Annapolis, Chris, of Davidsonville, and Kathleen Beach of Bowie; a sister, Helen VanFleet of St. Michaels; and three grandchildren.

Artinise Marie Woody Coleman

NASA Employee

Artinise Marie Woody Coleman, 73, an equal employment opportunity program analyst with NASA when she retired in 1987, died of cardiac arrest Oct. 17 at Washington Hospital Center. She lived in Washington.

Mrs. Coleman started at NASA as a secretary in 1958. After she retired, she was the office manager for her daughter Dr. Pamela Coleman.

Mrs. Coleman was born in South Boston, Va., and graduated from North Carolina Central University in 1947 with a bachelor's degree in commercial education.

She taught at schools throughout the Southeast before moving to Washington in 1951 as a secretary at the Wage Stabilization Board and later at the Atomic Energy Commission.

Mrs. Coleman was a member of St. Francis DeSales Catholic Church in Washington, sang in the choir at Our Lady of Sorrows in Takoma Park and attended the Church of the Nativity in Washington.

She was a Golden Soror in Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority.

Her hobbies included attending the theater and watching sports.

Her husband, Warren Coleman Jr., died in 1993.

Survivors include two daughters, Pamela Warrenette Coleman and Tamara Artinette Coleman, both of Washington; a son, Carlton Maurice Coleman of Columbia; and a brother.

Marjorie Broderick Brumbaugh

Master Bridge Player

Marjorie Broderick Brumbaugh, 77, a bridge player in regional and national leagues for more than a half-century, died Oct. 24 at Inova Fairfax Hospital after a heart attack. She lived in Springfield.

Mrs. Brumbaugh was a silver life master of American Contract Bridge League and a member of the Northern Virginia Bridge Association.

Mrs. Brumbaugh was born in Mandan, N.D. She came to Washington in the late 1930s and worked a few years as a secretary in the Navy Department. In the 1950s, she was a receptionist at a now-defunct medical office in Springfield.

Mrs. Brumbaugh was a member of St. Lawrence Catholic Church in Alexandria.

Her husband of 49 years, Harry Brumbaugh, died in 1992.

Survivors include two sons, Mark Brumbaugh of Alexandria, and William Brumbaugh of Cherry Hill, N.J.; a daughter, Rebecca Brumbaugh of Fairfax, Calif.; three sisters; a brother; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Ennis T. Williams

Army Sergeant and Logistics Analyst

Ennis T. Williams, 71, a former Army sergeant and logistics analyst at Vitro Corp. in Arlington, died of intestinal cancer Oct. 24 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. He lived in Herndon.

Sgt. Williams retired from the Army in 1969 after serving 20 years and then was a civilian military adviser to the Army Department in Vietnam. He worked in Vitro's combat systems division and retired in 1996 after 18 years with the firm.

Sgt. Williams was born in Columbus, Ga., and graduated in 1947 from Morehouse College.

He served in the Korean and Vietnam wars.

He was a member of the Saigon Mission Association.

His marriage to Mattie Williams ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife since 1968, Anh Williams, of Herndon; a daughter from his first marriage, Cassandra Williams of Atlanta; two daughters from his second marriage, Tran Williams and Sandra Williams, both of Herndon; two sons from his second marriage, Ennis Jr., of Herndon, and Thanh, of Annandale; a stepsister; and three grandchildren.

John A. Waters

Property Manager

John A. Waters, 99, a native Washingtonian who owned and managed commercial property and an apartment building in the District for more than 30 years before retiring in the late 1970s, died of pneumonia Oct. 9 at Doctors Community Hospital.

A former liquor store proprietor, he owned the Lewis building at 11th and U streets NW, which for many years was the location of the Crystal Caverns nightclub and the Davis Drugs store. He also owned an apartment building at Kenyon Street and Georgia Avenue NW.

Mr. Waters, a longtime Washington resident, was a graduate of Armstrong High School. Two years ago, he moved to Seabrook.

As a young man, he worked for the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. In the 1930s, he was among the first African Americans to receive a liquor license in the District.

He leaves no immediate survivors.

James M. Copeland III

FAA Officer

James M. Copeland III, 74, a veteran Federal Aviation Administration officer who retired in 1980 as a senior policy analyst, died of cancer Oct. 23 at Inova Fairfax Hospital.

Mr. Copeland, who lived in North Springfield, was born in Brentwood. He graduated from Laurel High School and attended Westminster College and the University of Maryland.

He served in the Navy during World War II as a carrier-based pilot. From 1950 until 1973, he was a pilot in the Naval Air Reserve, retiring as commander of a flight squadron.

In his civilian career, he joined what was then the Civil Aeronautics Administration after the war. He was an air traffic controller there and with its successor agency, the FAA.

Survivors include his wife of 57 years, Regina L. Copeland of North Springfield; five children, Suzanne Austin of Richmond, Michael J. Copeland of Cincinnati, Andrew E. Copeland and Janet E. Copeland, both of Greenfield, Mass., and Julie C. Ayers of Warrenton; 13 grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Ralph Joseph Ford Jr.

Air Force Officer

Ralph Joseph Ford Jr., 76, a retired Air Force colonel and jet fighter pilot who also was involved in satellite technology research and development, died of congestive heart failure Oct. 18 at his home in Alexandria.

Col. Ford, a native of Charleston, W.Va., and a 1944 graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, served with the Air Force for nearly 30 years before retiring in 1973.

He served as a pilot at the end of World War II and during the Korean and Vietnam wars. He was a scientist and researcher during the latter part of his career, and in the 1960s, he worked on one of the first successful photographic satellite reconnaissance projects.

His military honors included three Legion of Merit awards and a Meritorious Service Medal. He also was a graduate of the Army Command and General Staff College and received a master's degree in geophysics from St. Louis University in St. Louis.

He was past president of the board at Hallmark Condominium in Alexandria.

His wife, Marie Ford, died in 1974, and a son, Army Maj. Ralph J. Ford III, died in April.

Survivors include a daughter, Pamela Lyles of Simi Valley, Calif.; five grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Edna Bicksler

Fairfax County Clerk

Edna Bicksler, 97, who retired in 1971 as clerk for the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, died of a heart ailment Oct. 19 at Rose Hill Nursing Home in Berryville, Va.

Mrs. Bicksler, a familiar figure with lawyers, civic leaders and others who had dealings with the government, began with the county in 1935 as a clerk in the purchasing office. She was later an aide in the county's top administrative office, where she began recording minutes of the governing board. She served as acting county executive in the late 1940s.

By the time she retired, she had filled 45 books of about 600 pages each with official records of board actions. She was regarded as a prime source for information about government proceedings.

Mrs. Bicksler was born in Calhoun, Ga. She was trained as a teacher in Georgia and taught in Greensboro, N.C., as a young woman.

She was a founding member of the Fairfax Business and Professional Women's Club and a member in Herndon of the Fortnightly Club, the Garden Club and First Baptist Church.

Her husband, Earl Bicksler, died in 1978.

William 'Woody' Cady


William "Woody" Cady, 50, a photographer who specialized in shooting architectural projects for home magazines and remodeling groups since 1976, died of brain cancer Oct. 25 at the Casey House hospice. He lived in Bethesda.

Mr. Cady, who ran Woody Cady Photography from his home, published photos in Better Homes and Gardens and Architectural Digest, among other journals.

He was born in Washington and graduated in 1967 from Walter Johnson High School in Bethesda. He received a bachelor's degree in biology from the University of Miami in 1971.

Mr. Cady was a biochemist and researcher for the Environmental Protection Agency before starting his photography firm.

He was a member of the American Institute of Architects, the National Association of the Remodeling Industry and the Maryland Improvement Contractors Association.

Among his awards was the Nikon Pictorial Excellence Award in the mid-1970s.

His hobbies included skiing and scuba diving.

His marriages to Corrinda Carford and Linda M. Cahill ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of six years, Cathlene Gant, of Bethesda.

Betty McDavid Jones


Betty McDavid Jones, 80, a former reporter for the old Washington Daily News, died Oct. 16 at a nursing home in Columbus, Ohio. She had Alzheimer's disease.

Mrs. Jones, a former United Press bureau manager in Richmond, lived in Washington from 1950 to 1970. She worked as a newspaper reporter during that time, including about 10 years for the Washington Daily News, which folded in 1972.

She was born in Lowell, Mass., and raised in Thomasville, Ga. She graduated from the University of Georgia.

After leaving Washington, she spent some time in Chincoteague, Va., and then Corpus Christi, Tex.

Her marriage to Wade Jones ended in divorce.

Survivors include four children, Terrell Butz of Denver, Mostyn Jones of Pittsburgh, Fae Leland of McLean and Susan Reilley of Dublin, Ohio; a brother; and two grandchildren.