Mary Anne O'Connell

C&P Telephone Supervisor

Mary Anne O'Connell, 84, who retired from C&P Telephone Co. as a business office supervisor in 1980, died Oct. 30 at the Bedford Court by Marriott Nursing Center in Silver Spring. She had Alzheimer's disease.

Mrs. O'Connell, a longtime Silver Spring resident, was born in Northampton, Mass. She graduated from Our Lady of the Elms College. She was a service representative for New England Telephone Co. before moving to this area in 1944.

She worked 35 years for C&P Telephone before retiring.

In 1951, she married William O'Connell. They moved to Naples, Fla., after she retired. Mrs. O'Connell returned to this area after he died in 1992.

She was a member of St. Bernadette's Catholic Church in Silver Spring. In Florida, she did volunteer work for abused and underprivileged children.

Survivors include three daughters, Rosemary McNulty of Silver Spring, Diane O'Connell of Edgewater and Sharon Shreve of Ponte Vedre Beach, Fla.; two sisters; and four grandchildren.

Clarence J. Doser

Golf Pro

Clarence J. Doser, 90, a golf pro for 16 years at the Washingtonian Country Club and a member of three halls of fame of the Professional Golf Association, died of congestive heart failure Oct. 30 at a nursing home in West Palm Beach, Fla. He retired and moved to Florida from Gaithersburg in 1975.

Mr. Doser played in 19 U.S. Opens, 21 PGA tournaments and three Masters competitions. Early in his career, he worked at clubs in his native Rochester, N.Y., and in Bryn Mawr, Pa., and Scarsdale, N.Y. He joined the staff of Woodmont Country Club in 1951.

His wife, Catherine Doser, died in 1989.

Survivors include three children, seven grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren.

Jack Warren Morris

Army Officer, Real Estate Agent

Jack Warren Morris, 75, a former Army lieutenant colonel who became a real estate agent and worked at O'Connor, Piper & Flynn until about 1990, died of pneumonia and septicemia Oct. 21 at North Arundel General Hospital. He had colon cancer.

Col. Morris, who lived in Crofton, was stationed in the ROTC division at 1st Army Headquarters at Fort Meade from 1971 until he retired from the service in 1974.

He served in the Korean and Vietnam wars and received the Combat Infantryman's Badge, two awards of the Bronze Star and the Army Meritorious Service Medal.

Col. Morris was born in Washington and graduated from the Sullivan School and the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.

He was a founder and past president of the Annapolis Commodore Computer Club and the Fort Meade chapter of National Sojourners and a past elder at Prince of Peace Presbyterian Church in Crofton. He also was a member of Crofton Country Club and Army Navy Country Club in Arlington. His hobbies included golf and bridge.

Survivors include his wife of 50 years, Dorothy McDowell Morris of Crofton; a son, John M. Morris of Columbia; two daughters, Leslie Morris Smith of Philadelphia and Dr. Elizabeth W. Morris of Berkeley, Calif.; and two brothers.

Helen Williams Matheison

Commerce Official

Helen Williams Matheison, 94, who worked for the Commerce Department from 1951 to 1967, when she retired as permit licensing official in its international trade office, died of a heart attack Oct. 29 in Silver Spring at the Care Matrix Nursing Home, where she spent the last two years.

Mrs. Matheison, a native of Brooklyn, N.Y., came to the Washington area in 1950. She lived in Silver Spring before entering Care Matrix.

She had been a member of St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church in Silver Spring.

Her husband, Theodore A. Matheison, died in 1951. She leaves no immediate survivors.

Johnnie Johnson Sykes

Labor Foreman

Johnnie Johnson Sykes, 44, a labor foreman at the Interior Department, died Oct. 29. He suffered a heart attack at work and was dead on arrival at George Washington University Hospital.

Mr. Johnson, who lived in Washington, was born in Beaufort, S.C. He moved to this area in 1967.

Since 1982, he had worked at Interior, where he supervised the moving of office furniture and relocating offices. Earlier he had worked at the General Services Administration.

His wife, Lela Mae Sykes, died in 1996.

Survivors include one son, Troy Sykes of Washington; and two grandsons.