Frederick J. Heinen


Frederick J. Heinen, 71, a banker who retired from the corporate treasury division of the Postal Service in December, died of cancer Oct. 31 at his home in Washington.

Mr. Heinen joined the Postal Service in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., in 1980. He was transferred to Washington in 1983.

Earlier he had worked at banks in New Jersey. He joined the International Bank of Washington as a vice president in 1970, and from 1972 to 1978 he headed the bank's operations in Monrovia, Liberia.

He was born in Chicago and grew up in New Jersey. From 1946 to 1949, he served in the Air Force. He was an interpreter in Germany during the period of the Berlin Airlift.

In 1950, he was married in Germany to Hildegarde Sprengel.

On returning to the United States he received a banking degree from Rutgers University.

Mr. Heinen was a former chairman of the Postal Service's Federal Credit Union. He was a director and officer of the Riverside Condominium, where he lived in Southwest Washington.

He was commodore of the Chesapeake Morgan Association, a sailing group, and he was a photographer, pilot, sky diver and race car enthusiast.

His first wife died in the early 1960s, and his marriage to Eleanor Warner ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of five years, JoAnn Ciaravella Heinen of Washington; a son from his first marriage, Frederick J. Heinen of St. Augustine, Fla.; a sister; and a grandson.

A son, Malcomb, died in 1955.

Donald F. Caputo

Price Waterhouse Executive

Donald F. Caputo, 50, head of computer software development operations for the Price Waterhouse Coopers accounting and consulting firm, died of a heart attack Oct. 30 at his country home in Upperville. He lived in Potomac.

Mr. Caputo, a former project manager with Outboard Marine Corp., began with Price Waterhouse as a systems analyst in 1978. He moved from the firm's Chicago office to Washington about 20 years ago.

A partner since 1987, he directed development of major systems for business clients and agencies that included the Education and Defense departments.

Mr. Caputo was a native of Kenosha, Wis., and a graduate of the University of Wisconsin at Whitewater. He received a master's degree in business administration from George Washington University. He served in the Army.

His interests included golf, astronomy and gardening. He was a member of Washington Golf and Country Club.

His marriage to Suzanne Caputo ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Margaret Smith Caputo, and two children, Lara Catherine Caputo and Nicholas Franklin Caputo, all of Potomac and Upperville; his mother, Rosemary Clemente Caputo of Kenosha; and a brother.

Irving James Gruntsest

Research Scientist

Irving James Gruntsest, 82, a former Washington and Arlington resident and retired Environmental Protection Agency research scientist, died of a heart ailment Nov. 1 at a hospital in Lantana, Fla.

In 1989, Dr. Gruntsest retired to West Palm Beach, Fla., after 14 years with the EPA in Washington, where he was involved in toxic chemical research. Earlier he worked for chemical companies in the Philadelphia area.

He was born in Philadelphia and raised in Providence, R.I. He graduated magna cum laude from Brown University and received a doctorate in physical chemistry from Cornell University.

His marriage to Jeanne Gruntsest ended in divorce.

Survivors include a companion, Lillian Baker of West Palm Beach; two children, David Gruntsest of Arlington and Dr. Eve Gruntsest of Fort Collins, Colo.; and a sister.

Robert John Trayhern

CIA Officer

Robert John Trayhern, 87, a former philosophy professor who worked for the Central Intelligence Agency for 20 years as an analyst before retiring in 1971, died Oct. 30 at the Cherrydale Nursing Home in Arlington after a heart attack.

Mr. Trayhern had been on the faculty of the University of Rochester for 13 years when in 1951 he came to Washington to join the CIA. He was a McLean resident for 46 years.

He was a native of Rochester, N.Y., and a graduate of the University of Rochester. He received a master's degree in philosophy from Harvard University and did graduate work in philosophy at the University of Freiburg in Freiburg, Germany.

He cultivated azaleas and toiled in his garden at home. He also enjoyed writing haiku and was a member of the Haiku Society of America.

Survivors include his wife, June B. Trayhern of McLean; two daughters, Charyl Singer of Overland Park, Kan., and Laurie Trayhern of McLean; a brother; a sister; and three grandsons.

Oscar Padilla Viduarre


Oscar Padilla Viduarre, 71, a former Washington businessman and journalist who was Guatemalan ambassador to the United States from 1986 to 1988, died Oct. 30 at his home in Antigua, Guatemala. He had Crohn's disease.

Although a citizen of Guatemala, he served in the U.S. Air Force and had lived in the Washington area for much of his life. He moved from Bethesda in January.

He operated dental laboratories and wrote for Spanish-language newspapers, including Latino America, which he helped found. He was Guatemalan ambassador to Italy from 1988 to 1991 and was a consultant after that.

His marriage to Yolanda Padilla ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Solveig Morgenstierne Padilla of Antigua; three children from his first marriage, Dr. Hesed Padilla Nash of Lovettsville, Fernando D. Padilla of Sterling and Carlos E. Padilla of Olney; three daughters from his second marriage, Norka Padilla Whatley of Bethesda, Vivianna Padilla of Washington and Maya Padilla of Antigua; two brothers, Robert Padilla of Potomac and Dr. George Padilla of Durham, N.C.; two sisters, Maria Hottel of Annapolis and Carol Malina of Buxton, N.C.; and eight grandchildren.

Eva Mendelsohn Rosenberg


Eva Mendelsohn Rosenberg, 97, whose volunteer work included Jewish causes and the old Children's Village center, died of cardiac arrest Oct. 25 at her home in Washington.

Mrs. Rosenberg was born in New York and raised in Washington. She was a graduate of Central High School and attended George Washington University. She also studied classical piano.

As a young woman, she worked for Goldenberg's department store as a messenger and for the Veterans Administration as a claims examiner. In the 1940s, she and her sisters operated a furniture store on G Street NW that was associated with the Mendelsohn Galleries, owned by their father.

Mrs. Rosenberg volunteered with the Jewish Consumptive Relief Society, Organization for Rehabilitation Training, Technion Institute of Israel, Jewish National Fund, Washington Heart Guild, D.C. League of Women Voters, Women's National Democratic Club and the Sisterhoods of B'nai Israel and Adas Israel congregations in Washington.

Her husband, Samuel J. Rosenberg, died in 1990.

Survivors include two daughters, Barbara Adler of Chevy Chase and Doris Margolis of Silver Spring; a sister, Frances Rubinstein of Silver Spring; five grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Anna S. Herring


Anna S. Herring, 97, a Census Bureau clerk from the early 1930s to the late 1950s, died of congestive heart failure Oct. 31 at her son's home in Marlboro, N.J. She lived in Falls Church until moving to New Jersey a year ago.

Mrs. Herring was a member of Resurrection Lutheran Church in Arlington and active in its seniors group. She also was a member of the Falls Church Garden Club.

She was born in Sweden and moved to North Dakota in 1920 and to the Washington area in 1930.

Her marriage to Clair T. Herring ended in divorce.

She is survived by a son, Ronald N. Herring of Marlboro; five grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.

Viola Mae Wite


Viola Mae Wite, 82, who operated a Washington-based catering business with her husband, died Oct. 30 at Howard University Hospital after a heart attack.

Mrs. Wite was born in Littleton, N.C. Since 1937, she lived in Washington.

She was a member of the Order of the Eastern Star and Daughters of Isis.

Her husband of 54 years, Arthur Wite, died in 1996.

Survivors include four sisters, Elaine Flood and Cleo Coakley, both of Washington, Lucie Thompson of Camp Springs and Dollie Blue of Rockville; and one brother, Freddie Howard of Baltimore.

Ivan Lee Haines Jr.

Air Force Sergeant

Ivan Lee Haines Jr., 90, a retired Air Force sergeant who served 25 years as a clarinetist in the Air Force Band, died Oct. 31 at the Skyway Manor assisted living facility in Annapolis of complications related to a stroke.

Mr. Haines, who lived in Annapolis, was born in Canada and grew up in Ohio. He retired from the Air Force in the 1960s. In his military career, he never missed a day of work.

For most of his Air Force career, he was assigned in the Washington area.

Survivors include his wife of 56 years, Viola Haines of Annapolis; a son, Roger L. Haines Sr. of Arnold; three grandchildren; 10 great-grandchildren; and a great-great-grandchild.

Mary Butler Quello

Press Club Member

Mary Butler Quello, 86, a National Press Club member and the wife of former Federal Communications Commission chairman James H. Quello, died of pneumonia Oct. 25 at the home of a friend and registered nurse in Palm Coast, Fla. She had Alzheimer's disease.

Mrs. Quello, who lived in Alexandria from 1974 to 1998, helped raise a $3.1 million endowment for the James H. and Mary B. Quello Center for Telecommunications Management and Law at Michigan State University during the last two years. The center opened in August.

Mrs. Quello was born in Corvallis, Ore., and grew up in Detroit. She graduated from Michigan State University in 1936.

A clothing designer, Mrs. Quello owned two fashion boutiques in Michigan and was a fashion reporter there for radio stations and newspapers in the 1940s and 1950s. She also raised money for several causes in Michigan, including health and international goodwill agencies.

She moved to Washington in 1974, when her husband became a commissioner with the FCC.

Her hobbies included golf and tennis, and she was a member of Army Navy Country Club in Arlington. She also was a member of Alpha Phi sorority.

Survivors include her husband of 62 years, of Alexandria; two sons, James M. Quello of Pompano Beach, Fla., and Richard B. Quello of Palm Coast, Fla.; six grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.

Walter 'Sonny Taylor' Towler


Walter Towler, 59, a disc jockey known as "Sonny Taylor" on the "urban-format" station WMMJ-FM (102.3) for the last decade, died of liver cancer Oct. 22 at Arlington Hospital. He lived in Arlington.

Mr. Towler, who was last on the air Oct. 3, had a weekday show from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in which he played current and classic black rock. He also was host of a Sunday program from 3 to 7 p.m. called "Majic Memories," which focused on Motown music.

Mr. Towler was born in New York and worked as a bank teller before landing his first on-air job in St. Louis in 1965. He was also a DJ at stations in New York, New Jersey, Florida and Illinois.

During the late 1970s, Mr. Towler was vice president of black music promotions at Polygram Records.

His hobbies included music history.

Survivors include his mother, Lillian Vilabrera, of New York; three sisters; and a brother.

Joan R. Mohon

Leasing Agent

Joan R. Mohon, 63, a North Springfield resident and a leasing agent of computers and dry cleaning equipment, died of a brain aneurysm Oct. 31 at Inova Fairfax Hospital.

Mrs. Mohon worked for Business Leasing Associates in Alexandria for the last 13 years.

Earlier, she accompanied her husband, Army Lt. Col. Billy Mack Mohon, on his military assignments to Japan, Turkey, Thailand and elsewhere. She was a member of the Adjutant General Officers Wives Club and its bowling league. She also was a member of the Army Community Service volunteer organization at Fort Myer.

She was born in Scranton, Pa., and was a graduate of American University.

Her husband died in 1997.

Survivors include two children, Holly A. Mohon of Springfield and Mark R. Mohon of St. Petersburg, Fla.; two sisters, Judy Ferguson of Fairfax and Ginger Soule of Baldwin, Md.; and a brother, A.R. "Skip" Lawrence of Phoenix, Md.

Richard L. Livermore

Army Colonel

Richard L. Livermore, 69, a retired Army colonel who was a veteran of the Korean and Vietnam wars, died of lung cancer Oct. 29 at the Powhatan Nursing Home in Falls Church.

Col. Livermore was a native of Denver and a graduate of the University of Illinois. He had lived in Arlington since his retirement from active military duty in 1975.

His 24-year career included assignments as artillery adviser to the Bolivian army, personnel officer with the office of the assistant chief of staff for intelligence in Washington and military assistant to the secretary of the Army.

In the Korean War, he was a battery commander in the 92nd Field Artillery, and in the Vietnam War, he was an artillery battalion commander in the 1st Cavalry Division.

His military honors included the Legion of Merit, the Bronze Star and four Air Medals.

Survivors include his wife, Judith Hubbard Livermore of Arlington; two sons, Robert Livermore of Norway and John Livermore of Telluride, Colo.; a sister; and five grandchildren.

A son, Richard L. Livermore III, died in 1977.

Margaret Bangs

Church Member

Margaret Bangs, 91, a member of Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic Church in Vienna, died of a heart attack Nov. 1 at Villa Rosa Nursing Home in Mitchellville. She lived in McLean.

Mrs. Bangs was born in Brooklyn. She was a homemaker before becoming an administrative assistant to chairman David Rockefeller at Chase Manhattan Bank in New York from the early 1950s to the late 1960s.

She moved to the Washington area in 1982 after the death of her husband of 49 years, William Bangs.

Survivors include two daughters, Patricia Van Roten of Vienna and Margaret Ray of Annandale; six grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

Steve Zweig


Steve Zweig, 77, who owned and operated Zweig's Photography studio in Adams-Morgan for 40 years, died Nov. 1 at the Hebrew Home of Greater Washington of respiratory failure and complications related to a stroke and heart ailments.

Mr. Zweig was born in Hamburg. In 1938, he immigrated to the United States and settled in Washington.

As a photographer, he specialized in weddings and family and social events.

He was active in business organizations in Adams-Morgan, and he was an officer in the Professional Photographers of Greater Washington. He retired in 1993.

Survivors include his wife, Ellen Zweig of Kensington; three sons, Robert Zweig of Columbia, Jonathan Zweig of Seattle and Ben Zweig of Rockville; and six grandchildren.