Alfred Gwynne Vanderbilt


Alfred Gwynne Vanderbilt, 87, a New York society figure and horse owner who served as chairman of the New York Racing Authority from 1971 to 1975, died Nov. 12 at his home in Mill Neck, N.Y. The cause of death was not reported.

Mr. Vanderbilt, a descendent of railroad baron Cornelius Vanderbilt, twice was the top-earning owner in the nation and was voted "The Man Who Did the Most for Racing" four times by the New York Turf Writers. His horses included Native Dancer, winner of the 1953 Preakness and Belmont stakes and Horse of the Year in 1954; Discovery; Bed O'Roses; and Next Move.

He was elected to the Jockey Club in 1935 and headed Pimlico Race Course in 1938, 1940 and 1941. He was president of the Westchester Racing Association, which operated Belmont Park before the NYRA was formed.

Lauson Harvey Stone

New York Lawyer

Lauson Harvey Stone, 94, a retired New York lawyer and son of former U.S. chief justice Harlan Fiske Stone who as an Army major during World War II was assigned by the War Department to defend eight Nazi saboteurs tried in Washington in 1942, died Nov. 7 at a hospital in Brooklyn, N.Y. The cause of death was not reported.

The eight German-born operatives had landed on Long Island and near Jacksonville, Fla., from submarines with orders and equipment to blow up production and transportation targets. The Long Island group was caught by the Coast Guard and revealed the plot.

Among the arguments presented in the group's defense was the constitutionality of trying the case in military court. The U.S. Supreme Court affirmed the government's handling of the case and all eight were convicted. Six were electrocuted and two were imprisoned.

Ketil Moe

Marathon Runner

Ketil Moe, 32, a lung transplant recipient who ran in the New York Marathon despite physicians' warnings, died of a bacterial infection Nov. 12 in Copenhagen, Denmark. He collapsed Nov. 10 on his way home to Norway.

He had been told not to run the Nov. 7 marathon, but physicians also had warned him about many of the 12 marathons he ran before his 1997 transplant.

Mr. Moe completed the 26.2 miles in 7 hours, 25 minutes, 54 seconds, placing 31,559th among the 31,807 finishers.