During the 1999-2000 school year, the Weekly section will publish occasional reviews of high school theatrical performances in Northern Virginia, written by students from other schools under the guidance of professional mentors.
The effort is part of the new High School Critics and Awards Program ("Cappies"), which aims to recognize the achievements of young performers, writers, directors, stage crew and critics. The program is co-sponsored by the Capitol Steps comedy troupe and the NVTA (formerly the Northern Virginia Theatre Alliance), a coalition of three dozen artistic production companies from throughout the metropolitan area.
Eighteen high schools are participating in the program this school year, and each has designated one performance for critical review. In the spring, the program will hand out its first Cappies, the high school equivalent of a Tony award, to honor outstanding local talent in theater, dance and music.
The next Cappies review, on Nov. 25, will be of "Dracula," as staged by students at Lake Braddock Secondary School.
The Weekly is also publishing a list of upcoming high school productions. Any area high school--not just those in the Cappies program--may submit a listing by e-mailing us at email@example.com.
Please include the name of the production, the school where it will be performed, the date or dates and a phone number for additional information.
TONIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY:
* "Alice in Wonderland," Fairfax High, 703-219-2200.
* "Curtain Calls," Thomas Edison High, 703-924-8014.
* "Dracula," Lake Braddock Secondary, 703-426-1000.
* "Grease," Langley High, 703-287-2700.
* "Henry V," Wakefield High, 703-228-6700.
* "Inherit the Wind," Washington-Lee High, 703-228-6200.
* "Macbeth," Centreville High, 703-802-5400.
* "One-Act Plays," Thomas Jefferson High, 703-750-8300.
* "Pride and Prejudice," West Potomac High, 703-718-2500.
* "The Crucible," West Springfield, 703-913-3800.
* "The Hobbit," McLean High, 703-714-5700.
* "The Wiz," Robinson Secondary, 703-426-2100.
* "You Can't Take It With You," Oakton High, 703-319-2700.
THURSDAY AND FRIDAY:
* "A Midsummer Night's Dream," Bishop Ireton High, 703-329-3182.
FRIDAY THROUGH SUNDAY:
* "An Ideal Husband," Bishop O'Connell High, 703-237-1448.
MONDAY AND TUESDAY:
* "Hide and Seek," Stuart High, 703-824-3900.