A Temple Hills man was arrested Monday after he allegedly raped and repeatedly stabbed a St. Inigoes woman with a screwdriver in an assault Saturday night, the St. Mary's County sheriff's office said this week. The incident was the third in a series of unrelated sexual assaults in St. Mary's County last weekend.

Thomas Wayne Webb, 33, was charged with first-degree rape, first-degree assault and second-degree assault, the sheriff's office said. He is being held without bond at the St. Mary's County Detention Center.

The 27-year-old victim agreed to ride with Webb as he gave a mutual friend a ride home from a gathering at a St. Inigoes home about 10 p.m. Saturday, police said. After dropping off the friend, Webb allegedly drove the victim to a deserted dead-end stretch of Beachville Road near the Patuxent River Naval Air Station, police said.

He allegedly threatened the victim with a screwdriver, forced her out of the car and raped her, according to Sheriff's Lt. John Horne.

"He then began to beat her with his fist and stabbed her with the screwdriver," Horne said. The woman suffered a broken nose, a fractured jaw and multiple puncture wounds and bruises in the attack, Horne said.

During the struggle, Horne said, the victim was able to break free and hide in the woods for a time until she spotted a police car that was patrolling in the area.

She was taken to St. Mary's Hospital in Leonardtown, where she was treated and released. Based on a description given by the woman and evidence seized under three search warrants, Webb was arrested Monday afternoon in Leonardtown after police surveillance.

Meanwhile, a Lexington Park man was arrested Saturday after he allegedly sexually assaulted a 22-year-old Lexington Park woman, police said. Jerry Wayne Johnson Jr., 26, was charged with second-degree rape and second-degree assault after he allegedly entered the woman's home about 1 a.m. and assaulted her. He was released from the St. Mary's County Detention Center on $9,500 bond.

Horne said his office also is continuing to investigate an allegation that a 14-year-old St. Mary's girl was raped by an acquaintance while on a date over the weekend in Mechanicsville. No arrest has been made in that case, Horne said.