J. Trevor McIntyre

Defense Analyst

J. Trevor McIntyre, 80, who was a defense analysis researcher for about 40 years before retiring in the mid-1980s, died after a stroke Nov. 9 at a hospital in Gloucester, Mass.

Mr. McIntyre, a former Washington area resident, was a mechanical engineering graduate of the University of Maryland. He spent the first half of his career with the Operations Research Organization at Johns Hopkins University. By the late 1960s, he had formed his own defense analysis company, Dynametrics, and then Vertex Corp, which he operated until the mid-1980s.

Before settling in Gloucester in 1997, he and his wife, Melba McKay McIntyre, spent 12 years sailing on a 47-foot motor yacht along the East Coast, between Annapolis and Indian Harbour Beach, Fla.

A former Chevy Chase resident, he was born in England and raised in Washington, where he graduated from Central High School. From 1940 to 1943, he served as a captain in Britain's Royal Air Force and flew in 38 combat missions. During the remaining years of World War II, he served in Europe with the U.S. Army Air Forces.

In addition to his wife, of Gloucester, survivors include three children, Peter McIntyre of Sterling, Pamela Heidenberg of Annapolis and Debra Cheney of Dover, N.H.; and nine grandchildren.

Vernon R. Taylor

Engineer and Architect

Vernon Robert Taylor, 74, a civil engineer and naval architect who worked for the government for 32 years before retiring in 1980 from the Naval Sea Systems Command, died of prostate cancer Oct. 28 at the Washington Hospice. He lived in the District.

Mr. Taylor, who settled in the Washington area in 1948, was a New Orleans native.

He was a civil engineering graduate of Howard University and served with the Army in the Pacific during World War II. He began his government career as a cartographic aide with the Army Map Service.

He was a member of Asbury Methodist Church in Washington, where he had served as a servant leader and received a Methodist Man-of-the-Year award in 1980. A volunteer, he had received awards from the American Cancer Society and the Boy Scouts.

Mr. Taylor had served as scoutmaster of the troop at Plymouth Congregational Church in Washington from the mid-1960s to early 1980s.

Survivors include his wife, Fannie Webb Taylor, and a son, Raymond Taylor, both of Washington; a daughter, Tonda Taylor-Bean of Silver Spring; three brothers; four sisters; and three grandchildren.

Alicia Ydoate

Bank Examiner

Alicia Ydoate, 46, a bank examiner with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency from 1976 to 1997, died of ovarian cancer Nov. 16 at Shady Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center. She lived in Gaithersburg.

Ms. Ydoate joined the comptroller's office in 1976 in Philadelphia and moved to its Washington office in 1983.

She was born in Columbia and was an economics graduate of Immaculata College.

She was a member of St. Raphael's Catholic Church in Rockville and St. Rose of Lima Catholic Church in Gaithersburg. Her hobbies included decorating and shopping.

Her marriage to Tom Sheridan ended in divorce.

Survivors include her mother, Soledad Ydoate of Flemington, N.J.; and three brothers.

William B. Thompson


William B. Thompson, 63, a native Washingtonian and former special education teacher in the public schools of Arlington and Fairfax, died Nov. 17 at a hospital in Farmington, Maine, after a heart attack.

Mr. Thompson graduated from Armstrong High School and Delaware State College. He received a master's degree in education from Temple University.

He was a physical education teacher in the special education programs in Arlington public schools and then a supervisor of special education teachers in Fairfax before moving to Maine in 1979. Since then, Mr. Thompson and his wife owned and operated the Livermore Falls Skating Center. He also worked for the State of Maine as an advocate caseworker for the developmentally challenged.

He lived in Jay, Maine, where he was chairman of the school committee.

Survivors include his wife, Veronica "Ronnie" Ratey Thompson of Jay; three sons, Darius, of Manchester, N.H., Barry, of Fairfax and Edwin, of Washington; three sisters, Laura Evans and Betty Muse, both of Suitland, and Gladys Carter of Oxon Hill; and one granddaughter.

Evelyn R. Kirshbaum


Evelyn R. Kirshbaum, 80, who was a former violinist with the orchestra of the National Ballet in Washington, died of congestive heart failure Oct. 23 at Mariner Health Care Facility in Kensington.

Mrs. Kirshbaum, who provided music lessons in her Takoma Park residence, was a native of Boone, Iowa. She received bachelor's and master's degrees in music from the University of Iowa.

She performed in the Denver, Houston and Dallas symphony orchestras from 1943 to 1947. Also in that period, she spent time in San Diego as a researcher with a marine biology research institute.

She came to Washington in 1950 and worked the following five years as a freelance violinist, mainly in orchestras performing summer concerts. She played in the National Ballet Orchestra from 1965 to 1974 and then worked as a freelance violinist at the Kennedy Center and Wolf Trap Farm Park, among other places, for about five years until retiring in 1979.

Her husband of 48 years, Morris Kirshbaum, died in 1995. Survivors include two children, Ruth Stewart of Arlington and Leslie Shire of Kingston, Pa.; a sister; and three grandchildren.

Catherine R. Lewis


Catherine R. Lewis, 90, a retired Montgomery County teacher, died of congestive heart failure Nov. 8 at Aspenwood Senior Living Community in Silver Spring.

Mrs. Lewis, who lived in Silver Spring for more than 40 years, taught at New Hampshire Estates Elementary School from 1957 to 1960 and at Four Corners Elementary School from 1960 to 1973.

She was a past member of the American Association of University Women and a member of the Delta Chapter of the Delta Kappa Gamma honorary education society and the National Education Association. She also was a member of St. Bernadette's Catholic Church and the Rotary Wives of Silver Spring.

She was a native of Detroit and a graduate of Wayne State University in Detroit.

Her husband, Dr. Anthony Marc Lewis, died in 1990.

There are no immediate survivors.