Slow-Growth Proponents Score a Victory
* This month's local elections in Loudoun County, Va., where the pace of development has been even faster than in Southern Maryland, was a dramatic victory for a group of activists advocating slower growth.
Restraining Order Processing Speed Ranked
* While Charles County received perfect marks for how quickly it processes restraining orders in domestic violence cases, Calvert and St. Mary's counties were among the three Maryland jurisdictions with the worst records.
BGE Still Seeking Renewal of Nuclear Plant License
* Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. will continue to seek renewal of licenses for its reactors at the Calvert Cliffs nuclear plant despite a federal appeals court ruling that could expand public comment and extend the process.
Taylor Makes State Sales Tax Proposal
* Maryland House Speaker Casper R. Taylor Jr. proposed devoting part of the state sales tax to transportation, a move that could free more gas tax money--the traditional source of highway funding--to build roads.
Waldorf Nursing Home Aide Charged With Abuse
* A nursing home aide at a center in Waldorf was charged with vulnerable adult abuse and assault in connection with an incident in which a 92-year-old woman was struck in the face.