Ever wonder about what's being built -- or what a developer proposes to build -- on the vacant land around the corner? This feature is intended to provide an easy way for you to learn about planned development throughout St. Mary's County.
Using information provided by the St. Mary's County Department of Planning and Zoning, and the Leonardtown Planning and Zoning Commission, Southern Maryland Extra gives you a monthly update on planned subdivisions, office buildings, shopping centers and other development. The map and chart identify planned projects that were processed by officials in October.
The planning offices' file numbers for each project are in brackets.
1. BURGER KING AT FIRST COLONY, west side of First Colony Boulevard at Route 235. A standard site plan for a 2,970-square-foot restaurant on 1.15 acres. [99-2159]
CHARLOTTE HALL AREA
2. CORD'S CABINET SHOP, Route 5, north of Route 6. A standard site plan for a 20,000-square-foot commercial building on 1.03 acres. [99-0317]
3. BURCH'S GRAVEL PIT SECTION I & II, Route 5, north of Fairgrounds Road. A site plan for a mining operation in excess of 5 acres, on 293 acres. [98-1300]
4. VET CLINIC, Route 5 and Wilderness Road. A simplified site plan for construction of a veterinary clinic on 7.5 acres. [99-2187]
LEXINGTON PARK AREA
5. PEGG ROAD RESTAURANT, south side of Pegg Road at Route 235. A standard site plan for construction of a 5,320-square-foot restaurant on 3.26 acres. [98-0154]
6. SPRINT PCS, Mechanicsville Road, south of Route 5. A simplified site plan for a commercial communication tower on 27.06 acres. [99-2082]
7. VALLEY WOOD ESTATES, PHASE 4, Route 5 at Route 235. Review of a 14-lot subdivision on 116.972 acres. [98-2462]
ST. MARY'S CITY AREA
8. ST. JAMES, SECTIONS 3-5, southwest corner of Route 235 and Mattapany Road. A concept development site plan to subdivide 407.7 acres for 69 single-family houses. [97-0045]
LEXINGTON PARK AREA
9. PATUXENT CORPORATE CENTER, southwest side of Route 235, near Buck Hewitt Road. A plan to subdivide 17.81 acres into a six-lot commercial site. [97-0773]
10. BANK BUILDING, south side of Route 235, south of Town Creek Drive. A concept development site plan for construction of a two-story bank with office space on 0.69 acres. [98-0150]
11. LOWE'S HOME CENTER INC., off Route 235 to First Colony Development. A permit for construction of a one-story Lowe's Home Center store on 13.85 acres. [99-2106]
12. VFW POST 2632, Route 235, off Route 4. A permit for construction of a structure to replace the original building destroyed by fire. [99-0574]
13. SCHMIDT'S DRYWALL, Route 5, north of Mechanicsville Road. A site plan for construction of a warehouse, storage and sales of building materials on 1.83 acres. [98-0429]