Youth Held in Slaying at Laurel Party

A 17-year-old youth was ordered held without bond yesterday in the slaying of a man who was shot in the head at a party in Laurel.

Franklin Barney, of Laurel, is charged with first-degree murder and the use of a handgun in the commission of a felony. If convicted, he could face the death penalty for the murder charge and up to 25 years in prison for the gun charge.

Barney turned himself in Sunday night after Laurel police obtained a warrant for his arrest in the death of Damien G. Brown, 26, of the 14100 block of Bramble Lane in Laurel. Brown was fatally shot Saturday night while attending a teenager's birthday party at a town house in the 7600 block of Erica Lane in Laurel.

At a bond hearing yesterday in Prince George's County District Court, Assistant State's Attorney Tara Harrison said that Barney is on probation in Anne Arundel County for a juvenile charge of possession with intent to distribute cocaine. Judge Ronald D. Schiff ordered that Barney be held without bond pending a hearing Dec. 22.

Montgomery Police Identify Dead Body

Montgomery County police identified a man yesterday found dead in a Gaithersburg parking lot late Monday as Gary Anthony Bonner, 26, of the 100 block of Harbor Tree Court in Gaithersburg.

Deliverymen discovered Bonner's body in a parking lot in the 7500 block of Lindbergh Drive, in the Lindbergh Center Business Park about 10 p.m. Police said Bonner was dressed in a white service uniform. His wallet and his car--a white, four-door 1990 Toyota Camry with Maryland tags EBR388--are missing, police said.

The state medical examiner's office late yesterday ruled Bonner's death a homicide, but police declined to say how he was killed.


Explosives Found on Rural Road in Fairfax

A rural road in western Fairfax County was closed for several hours Monday after a passerby discovered a package containing explosive devices and materials, which police said were apparently abandoned.

Officers released few details yesterday about what was inside the package found in the woods near Popes Head Road and Pocol Drive in the Clifton area. Officer Jayne Woolf said that "the items, cumulatively, could have caused serious bodily harm if handled improperly." Woolf said numerous pieces of explosive devices were in the package, but that they were not connected or assembled.

Fairfax police officers and federal agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms examined the package, closing Popes Head Road while they rendered most of the items harmless. At least one device had to be exploded elsewhere, Woolf said.

The area is sparsely populated, so no evacuations were ordered. Police said they did not know who discarded the package or when.


Sergeant Gets Jail for Stealing Perfume

A D.C. Superior Court judge sentenced District police Sgt. David M. Goodridge yesterday to 135 days in jail, 200 hours of community service and three years on probation for stealing $1,600 worth of perfume while serving a search warrant.

Judge Neil Kravitz ordered the sentence one week after convicting Goodridge of misdemeanor theft, rejecting his testimony that he thought the perfume was perishable and subject to immediate auction.

Ex-Coach Sentenced for Sex Offense

Anthony T. Ross, a former attendance officer and football coach at H.D. Woodson High School, was sentenced to 60 days in jail and 18 months' probation yesterday by the D.C. Superior Court judge who convicted him in September of having sex with a 15-year-old student.

Judge William M. Jackson suspended the remaining 120 days of a 180-day sentence and certified Ross, 31, as a sex offender. Ross denied having an affair with the 10th-grade girl, but Jackson said there was "simply no doubt." Ross is one of four D.C. public school employees or volunteers convicted of child sex charges this year.