Morris Seltzer

Navy Department Official

Morris Seltzer, 82, who worked for the Navy Department from the mid-1940s until he retired in 1973 as principal organization and management officer in the office of the chief of naval operations, died of complications of diabetes Nov. 16 at Bedford Court Health Center n Silver Spring. He lived at Rossmoor Leisure World in Silver Spring.

After retiring, Mr. Seltzer spent two years as a consultant and special assistant to the Navy Department's vice chief of nval operations.

Mr. Seltzer was born in New York City and worked as an administrative assistant in the Federal Housing Administration before graduating from George Washington University law school in 1945.

He received the Navy Department's Superior Civilian Service Award.

He was a member of the Rossmoor Leisure World Kiwanis Club, and his hobbies included golf and square dancing.

His wife of 59 years, Marian Harlan Seltzer, died Nov. 20.

Survivors include three daughters, Dee Stoehr of Davidsonville, Sandi Hodge of Alna, Maine, and Marilyn Lynt of North Marshfield, Mass.; five grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Marian Harlan Seltzer

Paralegal and Lawyer

Marian Harlan Seltzer, 82, a paralegal and title attorney at the law office of James F. Fitzgerald in Silver Spring from 1960 to 1969, died of congestive heart failure Nov. 20 at Bedford Court Health Center in Silver Spring. She lived at Rossmoor Leisure World in Silver Spring.

Mrs. Seltzer was born in Harlan, Iowa, and graduated from Stephens College in Missouri. She received a law degree from George Washington University in 1941.

She volunteered at Mobile Medical Care Inc. in Montgomery County.

She was a member of the Rossmoor Leisure World Kiwanis Club, and her hobbies included square dancing and choral singing.

Her husband of 59 years, Morris Seltzer, died Nov. 16.

Survivors include three daughters, Dee Stoehr of Davidsonville, Sandi Hodge of Alna, Maine, and Marilyn Lynt of North Marshfield, Mass.; five grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Jerome Evenson


Jerome Evenson, 70, an assistant principal at Key Elementary School who retired in 1989 after 35 years with the Arlington County schools, died of congestive heart failure and renal failure Nov. 15 at Arlington Hospital.

Mr. Evenson was a resident of Arlington who was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., and raised in Wilmington, N.C. He was a graduate of Duke University and received a master's degree in education from East Carolina University. He took additional graduate studies in science at Peabody University.

He began his career as a teacher in North Carolina. In 1954, he joined the staff of Stratford Junior High School as a science teacher. He later was an assistant principal there and at Williamsburg Junior High. He retired from Key after five years.

His honors included an award from the National Academy of Sciences. He was a member of the Arlington Retired Teachers Association and Arlington-Fairfax Jewish Congregation.

Survivors include his wife of 44 years, Harriett Shain Evenson of Arlington, and a brother. His son, Alan Michael Evenson, died in 1983.

Ruth Ellsworth Knudson


Ruth Ellsworth Knudson, 92, who taught art history privately for 25 years and was a docent at the National Gallery of Art, died of congestive heart failure Nov. 19 at her Arlington home. She had lived in the Washington area for 70 years.

Mrs. Knudson was born in Chicago and raised in Utah. She was a Mormon missionary in Northern California before graduating from Brigham Young University. She began teaching art history after receiving a master's degree in that subject from American University in the 1960s.

Mrs. Knudson was a member of the Daughters of Utah Pioneers, the Relief Society of the Church of Latter-day Saints and the church's Arlington congregation.

Her husband, James Kaiser Knudson, died in 1963.

Survivors include five children, Rozanne Knudson of Sea Cliff, N.Y., Alice Mergler of Manassas, Melanie Wall of Falls Church, James Ellsworth Knudson of McLean and Homer Knudson of Arlington; a brother; 23 grandchildren; and 28 great-grandchildren.

James Michael Campion

Pool Company Manager

James Michael Campion, 50, the general manager of Olympic Swimming Pools from 1992 until 1998, died of cancer Nov. 15 at the home of his brother in McLean.

Mr. Campion, a resident of Arlington, was born in Albert Lea, Minn., and attended St. Bonaventure University in New York. He settled in the Washington area while serving in the Marine Corps during the early 1970s, and he subsequently graduated from the University of Maryland.

He held a variety of construction-related jobs before he became general manager of Olympic, a pool installation and construction company.

His avocations included fishing, playing darts and doing crossword puzzles.

Survivors include his mother, Inez Campion of Saratoga Springs, N.Y.; two sisters, Kay Longley of Saratoga Springs and Carol Campion of Washington; and a brother, Timothy Campion of McLean.

Edmund V. Edmead

Post Office Official

Edmund Vincent Edmead, 84, who spent more than 33 years with the post office before retiring in 1970 as an incentive awards officer, died of lung disease Nov. 13 at his home in Annapolis.

Mr. Edmead, who began his postal career in 1937, worked in a number of post office branches in Washington and held a number of jobs, including superintendent of the divisions involving carrier, finance and claims and inquiry matters.

In retirement, he volunteered as a teacher's aide in Anne Arundel County public schools and as a legislative aide in the Maryland General Assembly.

He was a New York City native. He lived in Washington for more than 30 years before moving to Annapolis in the early 1970s.

His first marriage, to Ruby Webb Edmead, ended in divorce. His second wife, Helen Moss Underdue, died in 1983.

Survivors include his wife of eight years, Mary Lois Hall of Annapolis; two daughters from his first marriage, Marlene Whittaker of San Diego and Carolee Smith of Henderson, Nev.; two stepsons from his second marriage, William Underdue of Upper Marlboro and Wayne Hall of Fort Wayne, Ind.; nine grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.