John D. Barry

Capitol Hill Aide

John D. Barry, 82, former chief of staff to then-Rep. Hamilton Fish (R-N.Y.), died of cancer Nov. 20 at a hospital in Palm Beach, Fla.

Mr. Barry managed Fish's first successful congressional campaign in 1968, and in 1969, he came to Washington as administrative assistant and principal press secretary to the congressman. He retired in 1982 but continued to manage election campaigns for Fish until 1992. Five years ago, he moved to Florida.

He was born in Chicago and grew up in Southern California.

During World War II, he served in the Army. He was stationed at Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attacked Dec. 7, 1941, and he later participated in combat operations at Guadalcanal.

Later, he was a newspaper reporter in New Orleans and Upstate New York. He was a businessman and director of economic development of Greene County, N.Y.

Mr. Barry was a founder and president of National Victims of Crime, a nonprofit educational organization. His avocations included sailing on the Chesapeake Bay.

Survivors include a companion, Janice Traber of Palm Beach.

Herbert Daniel Jones

Budget Analyst

Herbert Daniel Jones, 84, a Defense Department budget analyst who retired in 1972 after about 10 years at the department, died of cancer Nov. 21 at North Broward Medical Center in Pompano Beach, Fla.

Mr. Jones, a former Chevy Chase resident, had lived in Florida for the last 20 years.

He was born in Delta, Pa., and served in the Army Air Forces during World War II.

Before joining Defense, Mr. Jones worked at the Veterans Administration and the Bureau of Indian Affairs. He was a member of the Masons and Chevy Chase United Methodist Church.

Survivors include his wife of 42 years, Shirley Palmer Blackistone, of Pompano Beach; a stepdaughter, Barbara Younker of La Plata; and two grandchildren.

Joseph A. Vellone

Association Counsel

Joseph A. Vellone, 82, the special counsel for the Washington office of the National Telephone Cooperative Association from 1982 to 1995, died of complications of pneumonia Nov. 14 at Washington Hospital Center. He had Alzheimer's disease.

Mr. Vellone, an Upper Marlboro resident, worked for what is now the Rural Utilities Service from 1948 to 1982, retiring as acting deputy administrator.

A New York City native, he graduated in 1938 from Montclair State College in New Jersey. He received a law degree from George Washington University in 1956.

Mr. Vellone worked for the Federal Power Commission before joining the Army Air Corps during World War II.

He was a past board president of the Naylor Gardens cooperative apartment complex in Southeast Washington.

Survivors include his wife of 59 years, Josephine Vellone, of Upper Marlboro; and a sister.