Man Killed in Capitol Hill Shooting

One man was killed and another critically wounded yesterday in a shooting on the edge of Capitol Hill.

The two victims were sitting in an automobile in the 1400 block of D Street SE about 3:15 p.m. when they were shot, police said. Investigators said an assault rifle may have been used in the attack along with a handgun. A pickup truck may have been involved, they said.

One of the men, who was 18 years old, was taken to Prince George's Hospital Center, and pronounced dead within a few minutes of arrival.

The other man, who is 19 and had been shot several times, was taken to D.C. General Hospital where he was listed in extremely critical condition late last night.

Neither man was identified by police.

Deer Dies in Fall From Terrace

A deer fell to its death last night from a terrace of a building in the 3600 block of M Street NW in Georgetown.

Police said the deer, which weighed about 190 pounds, fell onto the sidewalk about 5 p.m. below an upper-story terrace at the Car Barn, which overlooks the northern end of the Key Bridge. The terrace was accessible to the deer from the bluff above M Street.

In recent years, deer frequently have appeared in urban areas; the scene of yesterday's incident is near the C&O Canal and other wooded locations.


Driver Killed in B-W Parkway Accident

A one-car crash on the northbound Baltimore-Washington Parkway killed the driver and seriously injured the passenger at 5:20 a.m. yesterday.

U.S. Park Police said the driver lost control near the ramp from New York Avenue in Cheverly, veered off the road and struck a tree in the median. The passenger was thrown from the car.

The driver, identified last night as Kenneth Sanders Collins, 44, of Greenbelt, was pronounced dead at the scene. The passenger is in serious condition at Prince George's Hospital Center.

Man Arrested in Arson Attempt

A 47-year-old Silver Spring man was arrested yesterday, officials said, after dousing his home with a flammable liquid.

Richard F. Hallums, of the 1000 block of Ruatan Street, was charged yesterday with three counts of arson, one count of threatening to burn and three counts of reckless endangerment.

State Troopers Eyeing Deer Hunters

Hunters are watching the woods for deer this weekend while law enforcement officers watch the hunters.

Yesterday was the start of the two-week season, when hunters are allowed to put down their arrows and take up guns in pursuit of their prey.

For the first time, Maryland State Police troopers are teaming up with Department of Natural Resources police officers to help catch weapons violators.


Toll Road Crash Victims Identified

Two Hyattsville men were identified yesterday as the victims of a car crash along the Dulles Toll Road that occurred either late Thursday or early Friday, and Virginia State Police were working to locate a possible third person who may have survived the crash and fled.

Police discovered the demolished 1999 Honda Accord on Friday morning in a wooded area between the eastbound toll road and the exit ramp to the Capital Beltway. Rodrigo Ramirez-Villatoro, 31, and Jose Ramirez-Alvarez, 22, were inside the car. Police said the car had been stolen Tuesday morning during a carjacking in the Vienna area of Fairfax County, but investigators did not know whether the crash victims were involved in the theft, police spokeswoman Lucy Caldwell said.

Police found physical evidence that a third person was in the accident, and investigators appealed to the public for help from any witnesses who might have seen an injured person walking from the scene. Caldwell said police had received several leads yesterday.

State police plan autopsies of the two dead men, Caldwell said.

Beltway Flood Subsides After 10 Hours

Firefighters from the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department ended a 10-hour flood on the Capital Beltway early yesterday by pumping leaves and debris from clogged storm drains between Braddock Road and Little River Turnpike.

The water reached depths of up to four feet on the Beltway's outer loop, backing up traffic for nearly three miles, Virginia State Police spokeswoman Lucy Caldwell said. The flooding began about 5:30 p.m., and cars were able to pass on only one shoulder of the four-lane highway.

Though crews from the state Department of Transportation worked for hours trying to relieve the flooding, it wasn't until Fairfax firefighters arrived with pumping equipment about 2:15 a.m. that the waters receded. All lanes finally opened about 3:30 a.m., Caldwell said.

Pr. William Probe Could Take Months

A special prosecutor investigating campaign fund-raising tactics of Prince William County Sheriff E. Lee Stoffregen III said it could take weeks or months to complete his job.

Chesterfield County prosecutor Kenneth Nickles began an independent investigation of the case at the request of Prince William County Commonwealth's Attorney Paul B. Ebert.

Authorities say the investigation was spurred by Stoffregen's opponent, Tony Dominguez, who alleged that Stoffregen exchanged reserve deputy appointments for campaign contributions.

Stoffregen, who won the Nov. 2 election with almost 77 percent of the vote, has denied any wrongdoing.


"I know that if God were to come at any moment, I would be going in the Rapture. I would not be left behind."

-- Penny Webster, a fan of the "Left Behind" novel series, which tells of what happens after Christ snatches up his true followers to protect them from chaos of the end of times.