Earl A. Adkins

Army Investigator, Businessman

Earl A. Adkins, 79, a retired Army chief warrant officer who made his career as a criminal investigator and later founded an insurance agency in Arlington, died Nov. 26 at Inova Alexandria Hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. Adkins, a resident of Arlington since 1968, was born in Opelousas, La. He was a graduate of Upper Iowa University, where he majored in business administration.

He joined the Army in 1944 and was assigned to the Criminal Investigation Division. He served at various posts in the United States, including Washington, and in Japan, Korea and Germany. He also worked with the International Police Drug Enforcement Unit. He retired in 1971.

His military decorations included two awards of the Legion of Merit and the Army Commendation Medal.

In 1974, Mr. Adkins established the Adkins & King Insurance Agency in Arlington, and he was active in the business until retiring a second time in 1989.

Mr. Adkins was a member of the Retired Officers Association, the Criminal Investigation Division Agents Association Inc., the Disabled American Veterans, the First Black Military Platoon No. 510 and Mount Zion United Methodist Church in Washington.

Survivors include his wife of 43 years, Haruko Adkins of Arlington, and a son, Earl A. Adkins Jr. of Los Angeles.

James L. Doran

General Contractor

James L. Doran, 60, a former Severna Park resident who was a self-employed general contractor for more than 15 years until the late 1980s, died of complications from a stroke Nov. 19 at a nursing home in Brandenton, Fla.

Mr. Doran was a native of Panama, where his grandfather worked as an engineer on the Panama Canal. He attended the U.S. Naval Academy before graduating from the University of Maryland in 1966 with a business degree.

A Florida resident since the late 1980s, he was a past member of Our Lady of the Fields Catholic Church in Millersville and Chartwell Golf & Country Club in Severna Park.

His marriage to Cherie Doran ended in divorce.

Survivors include a son, James L. Doran Jr. of Baltimore; his father, James R. Doran of Panama; and a granddaughter.

Claire Patricia 'Pat' Kerstetter

Industrial Nurse

Claire Patricia "Pat" Kerstetter, 77, a Rockville resident and retired industrial nurse, died of congestive heart failure Nov. 24 at Holy Cross Hospital.

She came to the Washington area in the mid-1940s, then worked in a private doctor's office before spending about 10 years as an industrial nurse with Woodward & Lothrop department stores. She retired in 1970 after about four years with the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission.

Mrs. Kerstetter, who was born in Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada, graduated from the Halifax Infirmary as a registered nurse.

She was a Girl Scout volunteer and a longtime member of St. Bernadette's Catholic Church in Silver Spring. An avid golfer and swimmer, she was a member of Manor Country Club in Norbeck.

Survivors include her husband, Dale Kerstetter of Rockville; three daughters, Gail Fooks of Brookeville, Linda Sterling of Germantown and Joanne Hull of Gaithersburg; a sister; and seven grandchildren.

Marian I. Burnsky

Church Member

Marian I. Burnsky, 78, a former department store sales clerk who was an active member of St. Mary Magdalene Episcopal Church in Wheaton, died of a cardiovascular disorder Nov. 20 at Holy Cross Hospital.

Mrs. Burnsky, a Chicago native who came to Washington in 1965, worked for the Woodward & Lothrop store in Wheaton Plaza in the early 1970s. Most of her activities centered on the church, where she was a lay leader and a member of the vestry. She served on the executive board of the Daughters of the King for the Washington Diocese and was past president of Episcopal Church Women in Washington.

Survivors include her husband of 55 years, Paul J. Burnsky, of Rockville; five children, Paula Behrens of Dousman, Wis., Gregory Burnsky of Three Rivers, Mich., Madeline Reed of Sandy Spring, P.J. Burnsky of Olney and Marlene Burnsky of Reno, Nev.; and five grandchildren.

J. Raymond Keany

Oil Company Representative

J. Raymond Keany, 94, who retired in 1970 after 23 years of representing Caltex Petroleum Corp., an international oil company, in Washington, died of congestive heart failure Nov. 24 at his home in Bethesda.

In his spare time he was devoted to charity work. As a 40-year member of the Washington Host Lions Club, he helped raise money for the Washington Region Eye Bank. He also volunteered in fund-raisers for the Children's Inn at the National Institutes of Health and So Others Might Eat soup kitchen.

A Boston native, he attended Boston University and served in the Army Corps of Engineers during World War II. He was assigned to the corps petroleum section in Britain, North Africa and Italy and was awarded the Bronze Star.

He was a member of and usher at St. Bartholomew's Catholic Church in Bethesda. He belonged to Kenwood Country Club, where he served on the board of directors and headed the senior golf program.

Survivors include his wife of 53 years, Virginia Wilburn Keany of Bethesda; two daughters, Katherine Benjamin of Garrett Park and Ginny Keany of Scottsdale, Ariz.; and two grandchildren.

Shat Hing Fong

Electrical Contractor

Shat Hing Fong, 64, a retired electrician and electrical contractor who also had owned the China Palace Sports Lounge and Restaurant in Camp Springs from 1990 until this year, died of a heart ailment Nov. 20 at Southern Maryland Hospital. He lived in Clinton.

Mr. Fong, who was born in New York and raised in Washington, was a 1954 graduate of Eastern High School. In 1956, he became one of the first minority members of Local No. 26 of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, and he mentored other young minority members throughout his career.

Over the years, he had worked for such firms as Mona Electrical Co., HMS Inc. and Fischbach and Moore. He also did independent contracting work before retiring in 1995. He had worked on the Washington Metro system and on projects at the U.S. Senate.

Mr. Fong was active in work for the Boys Club and was a member of the Moose and Elks, as well as the Lee Family Association.

His wife, Ann Claire Fong, died in 1998.

Survivors include two sons, Jeffrey P.W.S. Fong Lee of Hong Kong and D. Todd Fong of Clinton; three sisters, Lillian Wong of Rancho Mirage, Calif., Leah Chin of Kings Park, N.Y., and Jeanie Fong Lee Jew of Fairfax; and a granddaughter.

Leonard M. Broadhurst

Transmission Technician

Leonard M. Broadhurst, 57, an auto transmission technician who retired on disability last year from American Transmission in Edgewater, died of leukemia Nov. 20 at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. He lived in Laurel.

Earlier in his career, he worked for the Aamco transmission company.

Mr. Broadhurst was born in Takoma Park. He attended Lynton Hall Preparatory School and served in the Army.

He was an avid race car fan and amateur race car driver.

His marriage to Bonnie Armstrong ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Anne E. Shuman of Laurel; two sons from his first marriage, Lenny Broadhurst of Beltsville and Lance Broadhurst of Laurel; his mother, Lena Swink of Laurel; and two grandchildren.

John David Eberhart Sr.

Army Sergeant

John David Eberhart Sr., 67, a retired Army command sergeant major and a decorated Vietnam War veteran, died of cancer Nov. 21 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Mr. Eberhart served 20 years in the Army, mainly in helicopter units as a crew member. He was serving at an Army post in Germany when he retired from active military duty in 1970 and moved to Washington, where he began a civil service career with the Army Reserve Board of Corrections as a liaison and action officer.

An Alexandria resident, he was born in Nutley, N.J., and raised in Craig, Colorado. He entered the Army in 1950 and served with occupation forces in Korea and in Vietnam during the war there. His military honors included the Bronze Star and Distinguished Flying Cross.

Survivors include his wife of 47 years, Hannelore Eberhart of Alexandria and Ocean City, Md.; two children, John D. Eberhart Jr. of Potomac Falls, Va., and Harry E. Eberhart of Tampa; and a grandson.

Gordon A. Devine

Company Owner

Gordon A. Devine, 54, a sheet metal worker since the mid-1960s who founded Quality Sheet Metal Co. in Springfield about 1990, died Nov. 11 in his home in Alexandria after a heart attack.

Mr. Devine was an Alexandria native and Navy veteran. He worked for a variety of companies in Northern Virginia, including Virginia Roofing Co. from 1983 to 1990, before founding his own concern.

His marriages to Maryann and then Donna Devine both ended in divorce.

Survivors include a daughter by his first marriage, Denise Devine of Albuquerque; a son by his second marriage, Gordon Jr., of Dumfries; a brother, Robert, of California; and a sister, Sandra Lainhart of North Carolina.

John W. Kidwell

Air Force Worker

John Warren Kidwell, 80, who worked for the Air Force from its founding in 1947 until he retired in 1978 as a logistics specialist in the Air Force Systems Command, died Nov. 23 in his home in Temple Hills after a heart attack.

Mr. Kidwell, a Washington native and Anacostia High School graduate, attended Benjamin Franklin University. He served in the Army in Europe during World War II and worked for the Army here after the war.

He was a 32nd-degree Mason and a past potentate of Kena Temple Shrine. He was a member of Bell's United Methodist Church in Temple Hills.

Survivors include his wife of 53 years, the former Carol Ruth Schauer, of Temple Hills; two daughters, Nancy Carol Lantz of Camp Springs and Mary Beth Boyd of Lusby; two sisters, Lucille Carpenter of Waldorf and Madeline Hinbaugh of Muscatine, Iowa; four grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

William Joseph Hardman


William Joseph Hardman, 39, a lifelong area resident and former salesman, died of a liver ailment Nov. 25 at Anne Arundel Medical Center. A former Bowie resident, he had lived in Crofton for the past 10 years.

Mr. Hardman, who was born in Washington, was a graduate of Potomac High School and American University, and had played baseball at both schools.

He spent his working life in sales, retiring about 1995 after 15 years with Hoover Co., the makers of vacuum cleaners. He had received Hoover Co. sales awards.

Survivors include his wife of 10 years, Michele Annette Hardman of Crofton; his mother, Emily Jane Hardman of Largo, Fla.; and a sister, Dawn Walsh of Woodbridge.

John Richard Coyle

Lawyer and CIA Officer

John Richard Coyle, 71, a former Central Intelligence Agency operations officer and retired Washington lawyer, died Nov. 27 at a nursing home in Stanardsville, Va. He had dementia.

Mr. Coyle, a longtime McLean resident, lived at the nursing home for two years. He was a native of Massachusetts and a graduate of the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Mass.

After graduation, he joined the CIA as an operations officer and served a tour in East Asia. Upon returning to Washington in the early 1960s, he received a law degree from Georgetown University and began a career in law. He retired in 1987 after about 15 years as a senior partner in the Washington firm of Ogden, Coyle & Ostmann.

Mr. Coyle was a member of St. John's Catholic Church in McLean, the Army Navy Country Club and the Knights of Columbus Toastmaster's Club.

Survivors include his wife of 44 years, Lee Coyle of McLean; two children, Dr. Sharon Kiernan of Vienna and John J. Coyle of Kensington; two brothers; and seven grandchildren.

Bradish Johnson Smith II

Army Colonel

Bradish Johnson Smith II, 81, a retired Army colonel who later became a researcher for defense contractors and a personal financial planner and analyst, died of a heart ailment Nov. 21 at Inova Alexandria Hospital. He lived in Alexandria.

Col. Smith was born in Manila, a son of an American Army officer. He graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in 1941 and served during World War II in Africa and Italy with the Office of Strategic Services. During the latter part of the war, he served with the 7th Army in France, Germany and Austria. His military honors included the Silver Star.

His postwar assignments included tours in Ottawa with the Army attache office and in Thailand as head of the U.S. Military Assistance Group.

He was an instructor at the Industrial College of the Armed Forces when he retired from active duty in 1965. He then worked for such defense contractors as the Research Analysis Corp. and later for Marsh, Mead, Hill & Associates financial planning group before retiring in 1973.

He was a member of the Sons of the American Revolution, Society of Colonial Wars, Sons of the Revolution, the Military Order of the Carabao and the American Legion.

His wife, Ruth A. Smith, died in October. Survivors include two children, Porter G. Smith of San Diego and Deborah S. Lewallen of Concord, N.C.; five grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.