Mary H. Fay


Mary H. Fay, 71, who served as a journal editor with the Laborers International Union in Washington from 1979 to 1989, died Nov. 30 in a hospital in Lakewood, Ohio, after a heart attack.

A resident of Lakewood, the former Silver Spring resident had lived in the Washington area from 1978 to 1989. She then moved to Ireland, where she lived until having a stroke and moving to Lakewood in 1995.

Mrs. Fay was a graduate of Notre Dame College in her native Cleveland. Before coming to the Washington area, she had taught elementary school in Cleveland, served as a student affairs director at Cleveland State University and worked as a registrar at the Cleveland Institute of Music.

She was the author of the book "Joshua Meets Jericho," which told of her residence in Ireland and was published by WinePress.

Her marriages to James E. Hallisy Jr. and then Robert J. Fay both ended in divorce.

Survivors include a daughter, Colleen H. Schaefgen of Silver Spring; a sister; two brothers; and a granddaughter.

Loraine Bishop Royal

Registered Nurse

Loraine Bishop Royal, 72, a retired government registered nurse who had lived in the Washington area since the late 1940s, died Dec. 4 at her home in Bethesda. She had leukemia.

She started working at Children's Hospital in 1950. She then worked for the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the National Institutes of Health before retiring in the mid-1970s.

Mrs. Royal, a North Carolina native, received her nursing training in Asheville, N.C.

Survivors include her husband, Doyle P. Royal, whom she married in 1952 and who lives in Bethesda; a son, Derry, of Palo Alto, Calif.; a daughter, Lisa Butterfield of Riverton, Utah; eight sisters; and a granddaughter.

Clarence Joseph Brooks Jr.

Fire Official

Clarence Joseph "Joe" Brooks Jr., 72, a retired switchboard installer who was president of the Clarendon Volunteer Fire Department, died of a heart attack Dec. 4 at Arlington Hospital.

Mr. Brooks, who retired from AT&T in 1984, had volunteered with the department for more than 40 years. He served in the Navy during the Korean War as a fire control technician on the USS New Jersey. His honors included a Navy Commendation.

Mr. Brooks was born in Washington and had lived in Arlington since 1936. He was a graduate of Washington-Lee High School. He began his 38-year career with Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co. and was a telephone specialist under contract to the Agriculture Department after he retired.

He was a founding director of the Washington and Arlington Crime Solvers organizations. He was a member of St. Agnes Catholic Church in Arlington, Knights of Columbus, USS New Jersey Veterans Association, American Legion, Ancient Order of Hibernians, Telephone Pioneers of America and Fraternal Order of Police.

Survivors include his wife of 46 years, Margaret Mary Brooks of Arlington; a son, Michael Joseph Brooks of St. Simons Island, Ga.; a sister, Pat Bottash of Arlington; and a brother, Ronald Brooks of Fairfax.

Grete B. Korsgaard

Information Service Official

Grete B. Korsgaard, 77, the director of the International Visitors Information Service at Dulles International Airport from 1976 to 1983, died Nov. 22 at Fairfax Nursing Center after a stroke. She lived in Falls Church.

A model and translator in her native Denmark, Mrs. Korsgaard could speak Danish, English, German, French, Swedish and Norwegian.

She came to the United States in 1948 with her husband, Walter Korsgaard, now a retired Army lieutenant colonel.

She modeled in professional and Army-sponsored shows before settling in the Washington area in 1962.

She was a member of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Springfield, the Washington Danish Club, Danish Church of Washington and the Bishop sewing group.

In addition to her husband of 51 years, who lives in Falls Church, survivors include two sisters.

Arthur W. Fletcher

Industrial Engineer

Arthur W. Fletcher, 86, an industrial engineer who retired in 1974 from the Navy Department, died of congestive heart failure Dec. 4 at his home in Springfield. He had lived in the Washington area for 38 years.

Mr. Fletcher was a native of Baltimore and a graduate of the University of Maryland.

He served in the Navy Seabees in France and in the Pacific during World War II. He remained in the Navy until 1958 and was posted to Japan.

He later retired from the Navy Reserve as a lieutenant commander and after 16 years as a civilian engineer.

Mr. Fletcher was a volunteer in the mineral sciences department of the Museum of Natural History and a member of the Northern Virginia Mineral Society.

His marriage to Carolyn Fletcher ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 48 years, Lilyan Fletcher of Springfield; a daughter from his first marriage, Lynn Sayers of Dameron; and three grandchildren.