Father Charged in Traffic Fatality

The father of a 3-year-old Sterling girl who was killed in a head-on car crash was charged with neglect yesterday because his daughter was not in a safety seat, Loudoun County prosecutors said.

If convicted, Morgan Caywood, 22, could face the same punishment as the driver who investigators said crossed the center line and struck Caywood's car.

Caywood was driving his two children to their grandmother's home Dec. 3 when the accident occurred about 8:40 a.m. on Old Ox Road in Sterling, Loudoun County sheriff's investigators said. They said Tonya Chunick, 19, of Gainesville, lost control of her car, which veered off the road before crossing into oncoming traffic.

Caywood's daughter, Keirston, who authorities say was in the front seat and was not secured in a safety seat or by a lap belt, died at the scene. Caywood and his 14-month-old son, Andrew, who was in child safety seat in the back seat, were injured.

Chunick was charged yesterday with reckless driving, prosecutors said. The charges against both drivers are misdemeanors that carry a maximum penalty of a year in jail. Caywood also was charged with a civil violation of failing to secure his daughter in a safety seat.


3rd Suspect Arrested in Quintuple Slaying

A third suspect in Sunday's drug-related quintuple homicide in Baltimore was arrested early yesterday in Laurel, authorities said.

Tavon McCoy, 21, was charged with five counts of first-degree murder in the execution-style killings of five women, who investigators suspect were relatives of members of a drug-dealing gang embroiled in a feud with McCoy's gang.

Two other suspects, Ismael Malik Wilson, 27, and Tariq A. Malik, 20, were already in custody. Malik was found Monday with cuts to his throat, and he remained in serious condition at Johns Hopkins University Hospital, authorities said. Police said they will formally charge Malik when he is released from the hospital.

Baltimore police on Wednesday connected a sixth body to the five found Sunday. Several children on their way to an elementary school found the body of Tavarius McNeil, 22, slumped outside a row house in the 4900 block of Goodnow Road, with a gunshot to the head. He was identified as the son of Mary McNeil Matthews, 39, one of the women found dead Sunday. Investigators have not charged the three men in custody in the sixth death, however.

One suspect, Robert Bryant, 23, remains at large.

Couple Accused of Bilking Bank Client

A Temple Hills couple have been indicted by a Montgomery County grand jury on charges of stealing $93,000 from an elderly customer at the bank where they worked.

Titus N. Walker and Jackie Walker, of the 4700 block of Clifton Road, were accused of stealing the money from March through July 1997 from an 87-year-old District woman whom Titus Walker befriended when she visited the NationsBank branch (now a Bank of America branch) in Mount Rainier, prosecutors said. Prosecutors said Jackie Walker used her job in the bank's Gaithersburg branch to transfer money from the woman's account into one controlled by Titus Walker and an account secretly opened in the woman's name.


Retailer Sued by Embarrassed Customers

Two Northwest Washington men filed suit yesterday against Gap Inc., alleging they were forced to strip to their underwear at one of the chain's clothing stores last March by a security guard who suspected theft.

Eric Kenou and Alain Youmbi, black French-speaking West Africans, contend that they were victims of racial discrimination during a visit to a store at 1120 Connecticut Ave. NW. The suit, filed in D.C. Superior Court, seeks $1.5 million from the Gap and Borg-Warner Security Services, a security firm hired by the store, said the men's attorney, Donald M. Temple.

According to the complaint, a store alarm went off as the two left the business after Youmbi bought a jogging suit. Although a guard examined their shopping bags and turned up no problems, he then ordered the two to strip in a publicly visible area, the lawsuit said. When that search also turned up nothing, the men left the store. White customers who triggered the alarm were not stopped, the lawsuit alleged.