David C. Beeder


David C. Beeder, 69, former Washington bureau chief for the Omaha World-Herald newspaper, died of bile duct cancer Dec. 7 while undergoing treatment at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York.

Mr. Beeder, a former resident of Arlington and McLean, was Washington bureau chief for the World-Herald from 1985 until he retired last year. In retirement, he lived in Colorado Springs.

He was born in Dodge City, Kan., and graduated from the University of Illinois. During the Korean War, he was an Air Force public relations officer.

His 43-year career in journalism included 26 years with the Omaha World-Herald. Earlier he was the Associated Press bureau chief in Helena, Mont., and he worked for Reuters, the Albuquerque Tribune and Lindsay-Schaub Newspapers.

He was a member of the National Press Club, a tennis player and a collector of 78 Victrola records.

Survivors include his wife, Jane Warne Beeder of Colorado Springs; two children, John Beeder of Prairie Village, Kan., and Dr. Ann Beeder of New York; and three grandchildren.

Gertrude Gordon Swann

School Principal

Gertrude Gordon Swann, 80, a District educator who retired in 1985 after about two decades as principal at Burroughs Elementary School, died of a heart attack Dec. 1 at Washington Hospital Center after collapsing at her District home.

Mrs. Swann was born in Bedford Hills, N.Y. She received a bachelor's degree from Hampton University and a master's degree in education from New York University. She did additional graduate work in education and administration at Trinity College in Washington.

She started her career in a one-room school in Bowie in the early 1940s. She later taught at Twining and Scott-Montgomery elementary schools in the District. She was assistant principal at Bunker Hill and then principal of Adams and Hardy-Key. She served on the administrative staff of the school system before being appointed principal at Burroughs.

She was a past president of the Shepherd Park chapter of the AARP, a member of Evangelical Lutheran Church of Our Redeemer in Washington and a volunteer in the church's Leadership Enrichment and Affirmation program for boys and the Administrators Study Club, which assisted young teachers.

Her hobbies included bridge and poker.

Survivors include her husband of 56 years, Eugene L. Swann of Washington.

Rosalee A. Dansan

White House Secretary

Rosalee A. Dansan, 61, a secretary who worked at the White House during the Nixon, Ford and Carter administrations and retired on disability in 1978 from the visitors office, died of cancer Dec. 3 at Washington Hospital Center.

Mrs. Dansan was a native of Washington and a graduate of Dunbar High School. She attended the Cortez Business School and D.C. Teachers College, a predecessor to the University of the District of Columbia.

She began her 21-year career at the General Services Administration and later worked for the D.C. Health Department and the Civil Aeronautics Board's legal office. She was detailed to the White House office of minority affairs in 1969.

Mrs. Dansan was a volunteer with the D.C. Office of Aging and the retired seniors program of the Department of Family and Child Services, including its Wednesday's Child project. She was a member of Mount Pleasant Baptist Church in Washington.

Her marriage to Fredrico Dansan ended in divorce.

Survivors include a daughter, Desiree A. Dansan-Savwoir of Washington; two brothers, Dr. Alvin Burwell of Fort Washington and Melvin Burwell of Columbia; and two sisters, Selena Greene of Landover and Dr. LilliAnn Jackson of Washington.

Lewis Dawson Morris Sr.

Circuit Court Judge

Lewis Dawson Morris Sr., 80, who retired in 1982 after 14 years as a Circuit Court judge in Alexandria, Fairfax and Prince William County, died of pneumonia Dec. 6 at Northern Virginia Community Hospital. He had diabetes.

Judge Morris was born in Charlottesville and had lived in Alexandria since infancy. He was a graduate of George Washington High School and George Washington University, where he also received a law degree. He served in the Army during World War II.

He was a partner in the firm of Howard, Morris, Hancock, Mains & Howard and had served as president of the Alexandria Bar Association before being named to the bench. After he retired, he was a substitute judge in that circuit for about a decade.

Judge Morris was a deacon and Sunday school teacher at Groveton Baptist Church and a member of the Fairfax and Virginia bar associations and Delta Theta Phi law fraternity.

Survivors, all of whom live in Alexandria, include his wife, Helen Morris; a son, Lewis Morris Jr.; two brothers, Samuel B. Morris and Vernon A. Morris; and two grandchildren.

George Thomas Korink

Navy Official and Engineer

George Thomas Korink, 89, a Navy Department engineer who retired in the 1970s as deputy chief of naval housing, died of congestive heart failure Nov. 24 at the Johnson Center of the Falcon's Landing retirement community in Sterling.

Mr. Korink, a former resident of Falls Church, was born in Chicago. He was a graduate of the Illinois Institute of Technology. He served in the Navy during World War II

He began his career after the war with the Bureau of Yards and Docks in Washington.

Mr. Korink was a member of St. Anthony's Catholic Church in Falls Church.

His wife, Mary Lyons Korink, died last year.

Survivors include three children, Richard Korink of Centreville, William Korink of Severna Park and Lynn Korink Hall of McLean; 11 grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Sargent Karch

NFL Attorney

Sargent Karch, 63, a lawyer who was chief negotiator for the National Football League during the 1970s and 1980ss, died of cancer Nov. 28 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. A resident of Washington off and on for 30 years, he lived in Bethesda and Easton, Md.

As executive director of the NFL labor relations committee, Mr. Karch was in charge of all negotiations with the NFL Players Union. After he retired from the NFL in 1987, he continued as a management consultant for the organization as a partner with the Washington office of Baker & Hostetler.

Mr. Karch was a native of Cleveland and a graduate of Princeton University. He received a law degree from the University of Michigan.

His first wife, Susan Backus Karch, died in 1984.

Survivors include his wife of 12 years, Karen Karch of Bethesda and Easton; two sons from his first marriage, Sargent Caldwell Karch of Washington and Joseph Wolfe Karch of Los Angeles; a stepdaughter, Lindsey Kaser of Boston; a brother and two sisters.

Walter P. Swain

Chemical Engineer

Walter P. Swain, 81, a chemical engineer who retired from the Navy Department in 1982, died of lung cancer Dec. 5 at a retirement center in Twinsburg, Ohio. His home was in Falls Church.

Mr. Swain was a native of Haverhill, Mass., and a graduate of Northeastern University.

He began his career at the Navy Department in 1942 and worked largely on conventional weaponry, including ammunition. After he retired, he was a consultant for 10 years for VSE Corp.

He was a member of the American Society of Chemical Engineers.

His wife, Norma M. Swain, died in May. Survivors include two sons, Michael P. Swain of Hudson, Ohio, and William P. Swain of Miami Beach; five grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Donald R. Holben


Donald R. Holben, 76, who spent seven years at the Defense Mapping Agency and retired in 1979 as a requirements division assistant chief, died of renal failure Nov. 21 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia. He lived in Falls Church.

Mr. Holben was born in Fort Wayne, Ind., and grew up in Washington. He graduated from Eastern High School and in 1957 received a bachelor's degree in geography from George Washington University.

He served in the Army Air Corps during World War II and the Air Force during the Korean War. He received the Air Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster in World War II and retired from the Air Force Reserve as a major in 1972.

He was a cartographer at the Air Force Department's Aeronautical Charts and Information Center between the wars and until 1972.

After retiring from the Defense Mapping Agency, he became a certified travel agent and worked briefly at a firm in Falls Church. He spent most of the 1980s teaching classes at Northern Virginia Community College on how to become a travel agent.

His hobbies included golfing and woodworking.

Survivors include his wife of 49 years, Geraldine G. Holben, of Falls Church; two daughters, Dede Holben O'Donnell of Arlington and Christina Gomez Holben of San Diego; a brother; and three grandchildren.

Arline Leesch Stewart


Arline Leesch Stewart, 81, a registered nurse who had worked in hospitals and in physicians' offices, died of lung disease Dec. 7 at Inova Fairfax Hospital.

Mrs. Stewart, who lived in Springfield, was born in Canistota, S.D., and did her nursing training at Sioux Valley Hospital in Sioux Falls, S.D. During World War II, she was an Army nurse in North Africa and Italy.

After the war, she was a nurse in Denver, Oklahoma City and Houston before moving to the Washington area 20 years ago.

She had been a member of Alcoholics Anonymous for 27 years and was a regular participant at meetings in Northern Virginia.

Her husband, John Wellington Stewart, died in 1978.

Survivors include a daughter, Jane Stewart-Yeager of Bethesda; a brother; and two grandsons.

Helen Margaret 'Peggy' Carpenter

Seashell Collector

Helen Margaret "Peggy" Carpenter, 79, a Reston resident who amassed a large private collection of seashells, died Dec. 8 at Inova Fair Oaks Hospital after a heart attack.

Mrs. Carpenter, who collected seashells for more than 40 years, served as a resident authority on seashells at the Smithsonian Institution's Learning Center in the 1970s and '80s. She also was a founding member of the National Capital Shell Club.

She attended Butler University in her native Indianapolis before her marriage in 1941 to Walter N. Carpenter, an Army officer who later retired as a lieutenant colonel. She accompanied him on military assignments to Munich, Frankfurt and Berlin, among other places.

They settled in Northern Virginia in 1962.

She was a member of Kappa Alpha Theta social sorority.

In addition to her husband, survivors include a daughter, Kathryn Bengston of Conroe, Tex., and two grandchildren.

Frances Cohen Spielman

General Sales Manager

Frances Cohen Spielman, 85, a former general sales manager for New York and Washington independent film distributors and production companies, died of cancer Dec. 6 at her home in Washington.

Mrs. Spielman, who also lectured on independent film distribution, worked about 10 years for Circle Films in Washington before retiring in 1995. Before coming to the Washington area in 1985 to care for her ailing daughter, Rhoda Miriam Spielman Tzemach, who died two years later, she had a long career with New York film companies, including Cinema 5 and First Run Features.

She was a native of Perth Amboy, N.J., and a World War II veteran of the Women's Army Corps.

She was a member of the Jewish War Veterans, the American Legion and the Motion Picture Bookers Association.

Her husband, Abraham Spielman, died in 1982. Survivors include two brothers and a granddaughter.

Janet M.W. Bell

Employee Relations Supervisor

Janet M.W. Bell, 57, who joined the U.S. Health and Human Services Department in 1988 and retired last year as supervisor of the employee relations office, died of ovarian cancer Nov. 29 at her home in Fairfax City.

Mrs. Bell came to the Washington area in 1977 and was a language arts teacher at Robinson and Oakton high schools in Fairfax County. By 1985, she was working in the employee relations department at the U.S. Customs Service and then the Interior Department.

She was born in Independence, La., and graduated in 1964 from Ouachita Baptist University in Arkansas with a bachelor's degree in English. She received a master's degree in language arts from Wake Forest University in 1965 and spent the next 12 years teaching language arts at Moberly Junior College in Missouri and at high schools in Ohio and Indiana.

She was a member of Fairfax Circle Baptist Church in Fairfax, the Providence chapter of Daughters of the American Revolution and the Order of the Eastern Star.

Survivors include her husband of 33 years, Bobby G. Bell, of Fairfax City; a daughter, Ava Lynette Bell of Fairfax City; a son, Bobby Glenn Bell Jr. of San Diego; a sister; and two brothers.