Wilfrid V. Worland, 92, an architect who since the 1930s shaped Washington's suburban landscape by specializing in town houses and who designed two developments named for him, died Dec. 11 at his home in Bethesda after a heart attack.
Mr. Worland designed the Worland, a five-story apartment building on Wisconsin Avenue in Washington, and a town house cluster called Worland on Democracy Boulevard in Bethesda.
Among the thousands of brick colonial and federal-style homes he designed since the 1930s were parts of Woodacres and the entire neighborhoods of Fallsreach, Falls Mead, Luxmanor, Old Farm and Westbard Mews in Maryland. He also designed the neighborhoods of Lake Ridge, Falcon Ridge, Carlyle Walk and Afton Glen, all in Virginia.
Among the nonresidential structures Mr. Worland helped design was Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church in Bethesda.
In the late 1940s, Mr. Worland formed a partnership with architect Michael A. Patterson. Their firm, Patterson & Worland, became Worland Associates after Patterson retired in 1978. Mr. Worland retired in 1992, and the Rockville-based concern became Hutchinson + Associates.
Explaining the appeal of the colonial style in 1980, Mr. Worland told The Washington Post, "Many people move here from someplace else. They feel that they need something with a background. The brick colonial is sort of a blanket--it provides security, a feeling of having been established in a community. And it holds its value."
Bob Mitchell, president-elect of the National Association of Home Builders, leads a firm that built many of the projects Mr. Worland designed. Mitchell said: "Everything he did, particularly his exteriors, were just perfectly in balance. He used to go to Williamsburg at least once a year. He told me he went down there to get his fix."
Peerless Rockville Historic Preservation Ltd. gave a Preservation Award in 1985 to Mitchell & Best Co. for a group of five wood-and-brick, condominium-style buildings Mr. Worland designed. The structures are called Rockmanor Office Park, at 1686 E. Gude Dr., and feature rear balconies overlooking Redgate Municipal Golf Course.
Mr. Worland, who was born in Jasper, Ind., was a 1931 architecture graduate of what was then the Carnegie Institute of Technology in Pittsburgh. After graduation, he came to the Washington area and began work as an architect.
During World War II, he served in the Army Corps of Engineers, receiving a Bronze Star and the Legion of Merit. He retired from the Army Reserve as a colonel in 1967.
He was a member of the American Institute of Architects and Holy Cross Catholic Church in Garrett Park. His hobbies included gardening and family history.
Survivors include his wife of 65 years, Mary Rose Pauly Worland of Bethesda; two daughters, Kathleen Hamm of Bethesda and Paula Lipsitz of Tucson; two sons, Julien, of St. Louis, and Wilfrid, of British Columbia; a brother; and 11 grandchildren.