Ann V. 'Ronnie' Lentz


Ann V. "Ronnie" Lentz, 74, a Rockville resident who did volunteer work for St. Gertrude's School, a Washington facility for children with learning disabilities, died of pneumonia Dec. 11 at her home.

Mrs. Lentz, who was born in Belfast, lived in Hiedelburg, Germany, before coming to the Washington area in 1955. She and her family settled in Rockville in 1970.

She was a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church in Rockville.

Her husband, Ray E. Lentz, died in 1985, and a son, Paul, died in 1975.

Survivors include three children, Ann C. Lentz of Gaithersburg, Mary C. Maust of Shady Side, Md., and Lisa B. Lentz of Philadelphia; and two grandchildren.

Ellen Schaad White

Security Specialist

Ellen Schaad White, 83, a retired U.S. Geological Survey security specialist who later worked as a secretary for Wharton Realty in Alexandria, died of respiratory failure Dec. 14 at Arlington Hospital.

Mrs. White, a longtime Alexandria resident, was born in Enterprise, Kan., the daughter of immigrants from Switzerland. She grew up in Missouri and Switzerland. In 1940, she moved to Hawaii, where her first husband, John Harvey Chase, was assigned with the Navy. In 1951 they moved to Alexandria. Their marriage ended in divorce.

Mrs. White retired from the federal government after 21 years service, most of it with the Geological Survey, in 1983. She then was a secretary for Wharton Realty until her retirement six years ago.

She was an accomplished pianist and had been a church organist. She was a member of Immanuel Lutheran Church in Alexandria.

Her second husband, Frank Parrish White, died in 1975.

Survivors include three daughters from her first marriage, Carol Collins of Hume, Va., Joy Bolger of McLean and Gail Furman-Brown of Richland, Wash.; four grandchildren; and five great-grandsons.

Lotus Therkelsen Prokop

Agriculture Official

Lotus Therkelsen Prokop, 81, who worked at the Agriculture Department from 1942 to 1976 and retired as a deputy assistant in the general counsel's office, died of heart ailments Dec. 13 at Arlington Hospital. She lived in Arlington.

Mrs. Prokop was born in Lincoln, Neb., and graduated from the University of Nebraska and its law school in 1941. She then spent a year as a law clerk for the chief justice of the Nebraska Supreme Court.

After retiring from Agriculture, she volunteered at election booths in Arlington County.

Survivors include her husband of 53 years, Jerome Prokop Sr., of Arlington; a daughter, Susan Prokop of Arlington; and a son, Jerome Prokop Jr. of Oswego, N.Y.

Margaret Dudley Lynn


Margaret Dudley Lynn, 76, an executive secretary who had worked in the executive office of the president during the Carter, Reagan and Bush administrations, died of heart ailments Dec. 11 at Mary Washington Hospital in Fredericksburg.

Mrs. Lynn, who lived in Fredericksburg, was born in Back Bay, Va., and grew up in Occoquan.

She graduated from Mary Washington College.

With her husband, Edson Myron Lynn, she owned and operated the Occoquan Inn from 1972 to 1978. He died in 1991.

She was a researcher and member of Fredericksburg Historical Society.

Survivors include four daughters, Myra L. Bannon of Fredericksburg, Georgeanna L. Turner of Cocoa, Fla., Lois V. Lynn of Woodbridge and Bonnie J. Lynn of Bowie; six grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.

Robert Lamont Keeler


Robert Lamont Keeler, 97, a former Washington and Arlington resident who was a machinist for nearly six decades before retiring in 1980, died Dec. 6 at a nursing home in La Porte, Tex. He had dementia.

Mr. Keeler, who was born in Newark, Ohio, grew up in Washington. He spent most of his life in Washington and Arlington before relocating to Texas in March.

He was a life member of the International Association of Machinist and Aerospace Workers, and he worked at the U.S. Navy Yard from 1920 to 1938, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing from 1938 to 1957 and the Atlantic Research Corp. in Alexandria from 1960 to 1980.

He was a member of Fair-Park Baptist Church in Alexandria.

His wife of 65 years, Dorothy Keeler, died in 1993.

Survivors include a son, Bob Keeler of League City, Tex.; two sisters; six grandchildren; and 14 great-grandchildren.

Richard Dward Gordan

Machine Shop Founder and Accountant

Richard Dward Gordan, 69, who in the mid-1970s founded R&D automotive machine shop in Springfield, died of pneumonia and respiratory failure Dec. 11 at his home in Alexandria.

He sold R&D in the late 1980s, got an accounting license and worked until 1997 as an accountant to small businesses.

He was born in Rye, N.Y., and was in the Army Corps of Engineers from 1947 to 1970, retiring as a chief warrant officer stationed at Fort Belvoir.

He taught heavy equipment use and road-building at the U.S. Military Academy from 1958 to 1962 and served in the Vietnam War.

Survivors include his wife of 49 years, Elizabeth Gordan, of Alexandria; three daughters, Marne E. Gordan of Alexandria, Lynne E. DeLeo of Woodbridge and Renee E. Zorn of Baltimore; and a granddaughter.

Lorraine Claybrook Gants


Lorraine Claybrook Gants, 97, a member of Columbia University Alumni Club of Washington and a volunteer with the Army Emergency Relief Organization, died of cardiac arrest Dec. 9 at Knollwood Health Services Center in Washington.

Mrs. Claybrook, who had lived in the Washington area since 1948, was a native of New York City and a 1924 graduate of Columbia University.

Her first husband, Army Col. John H. Claybrook, died in 1948; and her second husband, retired Army Col. Robert T. Gants, died in 1958.

Survivors include a son from her first marriage, John H. Claybrook of McLean; two stepchildren, Robert M. Gants of Alexandria and Margaret G. Webb of Tallahassee; seven grandchildren; and 14 great-grandchildren. A son, R. Allan Claybrook, died in 1998.

E.C. 'Gene' Taylor

Airline Executive

E.C. "Gene" Taylor, 85, an airlines executive who retired as an executive vice president of USAir, died of prostate cancer Dec. 15 at home in Alexandria.

Mr. Taylor was born in Rochester, N.Y., and attended the University of Rochester. He worked in the airline industry all his professional life. During World War II, he worked for American Airlines on assignments for the Air Transport Command of the Army. Later he was operations manager at La Guardia Airport in New York for American Airlines. While working for American, he attended the Advanced Management School at Harvard.

He had also worked in Tulsa and Pittsburgh before relocating to the Washington area 30 years ago with what then was Allegheny Airlines. He retired from USAir in 1979.

In retirement, Mr. Taylor was a governor and president of the Flight Safety Foundation.

Survivors include his wife of 45 years, Priscilla Aspinall Taylor of Alexandria; a son, Michael R. Taylor of Redmond, Wash.; three grandchildren and one great-grandchild.